Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New to FI, Powerdyne ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New to FI, Powerdyne ?'s

ok guys new to the FI, i think i might be getting a powerdyne SC if all goes well. 4.5 pully, 6psi .....my question...do superchargers do ok on daily drivers for the most part, and with my mods ( LT headers, ORY, magnaflow catback and a lid ) i have got the stock 10 bolt, and the ls1 intake should all do ok ? thanks guys for answering / dealing with these newb like questions.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

IMO.....Powerdyne is the worst FI kit you could ever buy for your car. It will barely break 400rwhp and if u push it a little bit harder the blower it self will start breaking. I think the highest dyno for a Powerdyne i have seen was 430rwhp or so. I would get a basic STS kit with Methanol over a Powerdyne anytime. Hell a good head/cam setup will make more power than a Powerdyne. Good luck man.

Oh to answer your question... SC's (ATI, Vortech and Paxton) will do just fine for a daily driver.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes sir, agreed. Please stay away from the Powerdyne setup. I have never seen one satisfied Powerdyne owner. And if they are, they outgrow it very quickly because it puts out extremely low numbers.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

well 400 - 450 HP is where i would like to be at, the kits cheap and as for heads / cam too much. that would well exceed the cost i would be paying for this SC. originally i was planning on a cam, but this came up and i'm really wanting it now. if the only reason people do not like powerdyne is because of the fact it can't do 500 HP or w/e, then for me and my personal setup i wouldn't see that as a problem. b/c i do not want to have to get this, then get a 12 bolt, etc. you get the point. the thought at having a SC ls1 makes me lol it matches my funds / wants right now and bang for the buck ( it's a used kit ). say later on down the road ( i highly doubt i would do this ) but if i DID want to get another SC would the powerdyne headunit come off and would i be able to use the same piping with the ATI etc. just change headunits ? oh and i would like to add, this would be mostly for fun or whatever, not trying to break 10's or anything like that guys.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:57 AM
Staging Lane

Not to take away from your post or anything, but I am having the same dilemma. Vortech vs Powerdyne. I am also 'low' on funds and want the maximum amount of power without having to change rear-end, strengthen suspension, etc. If I purchased the Vortech 8-9psi kit with Aftercooler, would I have to change out my rear-end, worry about suspension? I am also not looking to break 10's or anything of that sort, but would like to blow the doors off a stock C5 or Cobra. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Youll blow the doors off a vette/cobra with just 360rwhp. That is if their stock.

Im with the other guys. I wanted a powerdyne pretty bad. Heck you can pull off a decent setup for $1500 maybe less. BUT the guys makin power, have dumped alotta time and money into making those systems work...and now theyve ditched them. 6psi sounds great but trust me you wont make 400rwhp. usually 8-9psi on those systems will get you 400-425rwhp and at that point youll be replacing belts every few weeks. Theyll snap and its hard to maintain boost. Plus thats usually a full bolt ons car making those #s.

Almost every single 6psi powerdyne dyno ive seen has been 350-375rwhp MAX. they just dont make hp, especially if your car is stock otherwise, youll likely see MAYBE a 50hp increase. And you cant swap to a ATI head unit. Diff unit, diff bracket, different piping, different oil system. Powerdyne is gear driven with an internal belt system.

They suck, trust me i was in your EXACT spot months ago. I saw cheap hp. But look into making your own STS kit. It CAN be done for less than $1500 and with just 5psi your making 380-415rwhp guranteed. Plus the turbo sounds wicked, the BOV is just killer, and it wont break on you. NO ONE will know your car is S/C with a powerdyne setup. Youll have to stop and open the hood. Its that quiet. Ive heard it personally. Its a joke, spend your money on lt/ypipe and a small cheap cam. Ever wonder why so many powerdyne setups are for sale on ebay? Mostly mustang kits becuase im guessing fbody guys know how to take a hint. Like i said some can make it work, but their still not getting the power they want and almost all of them have ditched their setups. my .02
Old 01-26-2006, 05:59 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all the above post, they're right on. You will have so many problems with the Powerdyne, that you'll regret it, which is likely the reason why you can pick one up so cheaply. The internal belt is always breaking, and they don't make the power. We can probably add a cam to your car, and come close to making the same amount of power as the Powerdyne. Check out our cam installed prices in the services section of my website. Oh, and we're in Indiana. Bob
Old 01-26-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
Youll blow the doors off a vette/cobra with just 360rwhp. That is if their stock.

Im with the other guys. I wanted a powerdyne pretty bad. Heck you can pull off a decent setup for $1500 maybe less. BUT the guys makin power, have dumped alotta time and money into making those systems work...and now theyve ditched them. 6psi sounds great but trust me you wont make 400rwhp. usually 8-9psi on those systems will get you 400-425rwhp and at that point youll be replacing belts every few weeks. Theyll snap and its hard to maintain boost. Plus thats usually a full bolt ons car making those #s.

Almost every single 6psi powerdyne dyno ive seen has been 350-375rwhp MAX. they just dont make hp, especially if your car is stock otherwise, youll likely see MAYBE a 50hp increase. And you cant swap to a ATI head unit. Diff unit, diff bracket, different piping, different oil system. Powerdyne is gear driven with an internal belt system.

They suck, trust me i was in your EXACT spot months ago. I saw cheap hp. But look into making your own STS kit. It CAN be done for less than $1500 and with just 5psi your making 380-415rwhp guranteed. Plus the turbo sounds wicked, the BOV is just killer, and it wont break on you. NO ONE will know your car is S/C with a powerdyne setup. Youll have to stop and open the hood. Its that quiet. Ive heard it personally. Its a joke, spend your money on lt/ypipe and a small cheap cam. Ever wonder why so many powerdyne setups are for sale on ebay? Mostly mustang kits becuase im guessing fbody guys know how to take a hint. Like i said some can make it work, but their still not getting the power they want and almost all of them have ditched their setups. my .02
well i can say you've got me really interested in the STS turbo kit. . . . about under 1500, how? the new ones i've seen are 3500 etc. are you saying wait until one pops up used on here?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A used powerdyne is a great intro to FI.
With the 6psi pulley you can crack 400rwhp pretty easily.
Mine performed flawlessly for 2 years at that power level.
My only complaint was the fans situation, but you have that with ATI as well.
If you can piece it together for $1500 or less it's great.
I would never buy one full price though, not enough bang for the buck.
If you were looking at spending $3500, save another $500 and buy the base STS kit.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy the parts individually. Basically look for a good condition GT60 or 67 turbo and go from there. STS marks up the kits a bit to make up for the R&D on them. A wastegate will set you back about $200 and your a m6 so youll need a BOV ($200). Then just figure out the oil system. Pipes can be had for about $150-200. The turbo is gonna be the biggest purchase, but if you can find one for cheap (used) then your already on your way. 5psi is easy since you dont need to worry about fuel as much necessarily. Depending on your turbo you can likely be happily on your way for under $2K. Theres a few guys on here that have homemade setups for under $1K (all used of course). GL either way and skip that powerdyne, youll be doin yourself a favor
Old 01-26-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

if you know the screen names of the guys that have pieced this all together could you maybe send me their direction or something i'd need a little help / advice on this b/c i'm new but for under a grand hells yea..lol DEF. not looking on spending 3500. 1000 - 1500 i'm game.
edit: someone said with the powerdyne you can't tell it's S/C i'd like a turbo or a S/C that you can tell is there. that's pretty noobish of me, but i hope you all understand
Old 01-26-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

another ? are all the turbo kits you guys are suggesting rear mount, meaning i wouldn't have to worry about new manifolds for this turbo or what ( how do the rear mounts hookup, i wouldn't have a single downpipe tip would i? blah ) i'm trying to read as much as possible in the next few days on turbos as i don't know alot about them. thanks for helping me out so far guys.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't be really quick to put down the powerdyne system. I to am hard up on money. I have the kit, and finally decided to stop dicking away my money and buy the fans for my setup so I can put it on mid Feb. I am full bolt ons with the LS6 cam. I haven't dynoed, but I know my car is pretty damn strong. I have talked to ppl who have run the powerdyne with no problems at all. Most people are trying to run too much boost on them, or hitting their rev limiter often, causing the internal belt to chatter and break. A hard sticky launch at the track could also cause the belt to break. I am just looking for a decent street car. I hate to guess, but I "should" be around 37x rwhp with my setup if not more. I don't see why I wouldn't see 450+ with the powerdyne properly tuned.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

well another thing you have full bolt ons, not me basically stock mods in sig. if i'm going to spend say 1500 on a powerdyne and see 380 rwhp, i'd much rather spend 200 more or whatever and have a sweet turbo setup, plus the BOV and **** sounds pretty sick too but about my above questions...anyone??
Old 01-26-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

The one thing i've learned is forget used FI setups. I bought a used Powerdyne and it gave me hell for weeks. Changing belts, overheating problems, other crap. Never got it to work. Save up the money and buy a new kit, whatever it may be, or from someone who had a fully working setup on the forums here (who is a reliable member). After all of the time you invest into trying to piece something together and then troubleshoot, it just won't work. Also, new kits have a few things that are great like customer support, warranty, security features in wiring and safety in design. That is why they are marked up because they spent the time to get the **** right for you before hand. Look at the mods in sig. I'm on the 5.6psi and I already had to buy a 2bar upgrade b/c i was outflowing the stock cpu on air. I'm almost maxing out my 42# injectors so i'm guessing i'm at or around 500rwhp, only on 5.6psi!!! Love my STS kit all the way. Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by LastBlack02SS; 01-26-2006 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added something
Old 01-26-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

well buying a new kit is not much of an option, i like the idea of "piecing" my own turbo setup together for around 1500 bucks. i don't have the $ for a new setup now anyway, and if i did, quite frankly i wouldn't spend 3500 on that. so my options are pretty limited looking for some FI to put me at or above 400 rwhp and i'll be set like i said in an above post, this is primarily just for fun not trying to kill hardcore times at the track etc.