Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Lids

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Lids

Ok so the other day i got a 2000 Trans Am WS6 and i was wanting to get a lid for it but dont know if there is a differnts or if they are all the same or if some flow better or what if you have any information on differnet lids i would appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

A lid is a lid. Buy the one you like the looks of the best, or just get the lowest price.....
Old 01-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

all lids will produce about the same. i got slp, it fits good. mti makes a clear one which i think is really cool. don't forget to do the free ram air mod when you put the lid on and the erg mod. if you don't know how, go to installuniversity.com and click on lsx's. if this doesn't fulfill your needs to know which lid is the best for the money. do a google search. one of the magazines did a dyno on like 10 different lids. but i'm telling you they were all about the same. if i remember right the texas speed lid had about the best.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pick whichever rocks your boat. Or you can go with a different set up that puts the air filter out in the open with no lid (k&n, fast toys, I believe).
Old 01-30-2006, 08:15 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

A lid is a lid is a lid is a lid is a lid....

Like said above just buy the one you like best. Mainly you'll be looking for fit and finish as they all basically flow the same.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

As stated, they all pretty much flow the same. There was an article somewhere a while back that did back to back dyno test with the various lids. I believe all the lids were within 1 rwhp of each other. MTI and SLP were at the top.

When I had a lid, I went with the SLP as it's construction quality was much better than any of the others I had seen. I recently ditched the lid for the Volant set up. Looking back on it, I should have done the Volant from the begining.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the Volant/FIPK route gives about the same HP (if any) that a lid will..but the Volant/FIPK's just look cooler!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think I found the lid comparison article: http://www.motorsporttech.com/press/...ay2004_02.html
Old 01-30-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

I bought the slp flow pack which includes the lid and I like it a lot my only conplaint is that the lid doesnt fit vary well I had to modify it a little bit. It was too tall for the straps to hold down(they kept poping off) so I had to sand A little off and it works fine know.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Teching In

am thinking of BG Ram Air System .. what do u think guys ?
Old 01-30-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got the MTI clear lid, just because it looked good
Old 01-30-2006, 04:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainful
am thinking of BG Ram Air System .. what do u think guys ?
BG Ram Air is no longer avaliable as a new kit, Brian Greene stopped producing these kits. You'd have to find one used. It's a damn nice kit though, that's for sure.

PS. The BGRA system works together with a lid (stock or aftermarket), not in place of a lid. So for the best gains, you'd still need to get a lid in addition to the kit.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the SLP lid. The only problem I had was that the MAF wouldnt fit in the lid. I had to do some filing down to make it work. Other than that, it fits perfect, but like everyone else said, they all flow about the same.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
BG Ram Air is no longer avaliable as a new kit, Brian Greene stopped producing these kits. You'd have to find one used. It's a damn nice kit though, that's for sure.

PS. The BGRA system works together with a lid (stock or aftermarket), not in place of a lid. So for the best gains, you'd still need to get a lid in addition to the kit.
i have the K&N lid .. i used the whisper before ,, tried them both on dyno ( since i worked there for a while ) there were 4 hp and 3 torque difference for the K&N .. the car was stock except for a simple tune i use to do after we close the doors every day , i was asking about the BG Ram air cause i was thinking of the same BG mechanism before noticing from a friend that they have it as an after market part , sadly they dont make it anymore , cant buy it from the used part section cause i live in another continental lool far away
i live THERE .. anyways thanx for helping
Old 01-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Teching In

how do the lids fit when u do the fernco mod to replace the stock restrictive bellow as well?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

I got the SLP lid, it was the cheapest one i could find, plus it was on sale.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

TSP makes a good lid at a good price.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

you can get an slp lid on ebay for like 80 bucks thats what i did, slp or granatelli are the best suposidly

here was an article somewhere a while back that did back to back dyno test with the various lids. I believe all the lids were within 1 rwhp of each other. MTI and SLP were at the top.
it was slp and granatelli on the top if u look closely at the dyno charts
Slp fits excellently, go with it alot of the other people complain fit loose and stuff pain in the *** to get on. the clear is cool but i didnt want that, also my maf fit in my slp perfectly.the granatelli is a little more exspensive so id go with slp.

those k&n filter things i dont like um yeah u get more air but your just adding a filter to suck hot air.witch is not what u want the bgra thing is best u can make a ghetto one with stiky a/c foam from home depot. plus u dont want to run a k&n filter or any oiled filter for that matter. they gunk up on your maf and then u will wind up runnin wierd and gettin KR issue i just went through it and put back in a good old FRAM thats my .02

Last edited by rgaynor85; 02-02-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by marshallsooz
how do the lids fit when u do the fernco mod to replace the stock restrictive bellow as well?
dont bother with the bellow you wont gain anything, and the ferno mod sucks *** i tried it the thing doesnt bend enough even heated up and it doesnt seal well it looks like its ready to pop off the edges of the maf and tb when u tighten it down. if u much they have some slp's and other fake ones on ebay cheap that should work better i know people use the ferno but this is my expieriance with it