Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it for an exhaust shop to find and exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How hard is it for an exhaust shop to find and exhaust leak?

Since my LT header install, i haev had an exhaust leak and it is absolutely killing me, i run my cutout open to drown it out. how much do they normally charge and is it hard to find them? reason im asking is becuase i dont wanna take it somewhere, ask them to find it, then they look and cant and then pay like 75$ in labor charges for no results. thanks!
Old 02-04-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All they have to do is get under the car and they should be able to hear the leak.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ddelallata
All they have to do is get under the car and they should be able to hear the leak.
i had heard that some places used this ultraviolet stuff that they put into the engine and that when they run it thru the engine it comes otu at the leak? has anyone else heard this?
Old 02-04-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

never heard of it, but makes total sense from chemical point of view.
You just put some UV-active compund into your gas tank that retains its UV-range absorption once it's burned and runs through the exhaust path. With speical glasses you can see the "dyed smoke" coming out of the troubled spot...
Old 02-04-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

You guys are making this way too hard. Use a shop vac or vaccum cleaner that can be set to blow instead of suck. Ducktape it to your exhaust and let it run. Move around under the car using your hands to find the leak. I've used this method numerous times and it works. If you don't have a shop vac you can try using the wife or GF but she might not be able to blow hard enough.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FSUNole17
i had heard that some places used this ultraviolet stuff that they put into the engine and that when they run it thru the engine it comes otu at the leak? has anyone else heard this?
I know they do this with an oil additive to find oil leaks on esp. dirty engines.. I didn't know they had one for finding an exhaust leak..
Old 02-04-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

You could always try the soap and water technique. Same way you would for fixing a flat tire on your bicycle. The shop-vac is a great idea. ?????Do the exhaust valves close completly when the oil pressure drops and the lifters collapse?????

Just get a squirt bottle and start shooting the flanges and joints. You'll find it
Old 02-04-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Veteran

This is some funny reading. Jack one side of the car up when its cold. Start the bitch and feel all the clamps/sleeves/fittings with your hand. Mine took 1 minute before it got too warm and I found the leak around a clamp. Puffing warm air onto my hand.

Took it off, wrapped tin foil around the pipe about 5 layers of it, put the clamp back on over the tin foil and cranked it down. Done. Took maybe 10 minutes. Perfect for the past two months. The clamp was fucked and wouldn't reform, thats why I used tin foil.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

i'm with quickin.even if your exhaust is warm you can still hear and feel the leaks,just don't touch the pipes !
Old 02-05-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

oh yeah, i found the perfect band clamps to use if that is what your headers and y pipe has=ones for a semi=around 3 inches wide and form to fit your pipes when tightened up.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slow trap
i'm with quickin.even if your exhaust is warm you can still hear and feel the leaks,just don't touch the pipes !
Yup, but if you start the car and immediately begin feeling, you can grab all the piping and move your hand along everything. I felt every where the ticking/puffing noise was coming from before it got anywhere near hot enough to burn you.

Mine was pretty loud and it was the clamp directly under the drivers seat on the collector.

I didn't actually have a jack either, I ran the front tires up on ramps, it gave me planty of room to fix it.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

the easiest way i've found is to turn the car on and have someone cover the tips, this pushes exhaust out the leak harder and it is easy to spot the leak DO IT YOURSELF this is easy!
Old 02-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Launching!

the local muffler shop charged me ten bucks to find and weld up a leak at the headers and y-pipe!!
Old 02-05-2006, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

local muffler shops here put the car on the lift and have some sort of car exhaust stethoscope that can find leaks very well.