Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Thinking about a spool

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a spool

I finally desided on getting a 9 inch rear. I dont want a posi because of the clutches or a locker because i have a six speed and dont want it unlocking between gears.

so i think im going with a spool.

question is how does it act in high speed corners? i know how they do around slow corners and parking lots.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

running in a straight line the locker shouldnt unlock... between shifts
Old 02-08-2006, 04:37 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

I have had some bad experiences with the Detroit Lockers. They can indeed lock and unlock between gear changes, making a car squirm around.
I would go with the spool myself, at speed you won't notice it. I've driven spools on the highway in rain, curves are not too much of a problem.
Parallel parking with a spool would be a hassle...
A Moser 9 inch with a spool and an optional $130.00 aluminum center section weighs 181.5 pounds, which isn't bad. $2,300.00 shipped. Bob
Old 02-08-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Like I said... a locker shouldnt unlock during shifts while going in a straight line... differences in tire speed will cause it to unlock everyone knows that...If it is unlocking during shifts you need to replace or upgrade the springs in the locker as well as look at the ramps to make sure there in good shape...
Old 02-08-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Having posi-trac of some sort sucks when it comes to small turns. My tires went from new to having chunks taken out of it. But what the heck. I would agree to go with the spool, it involves a lot less components and you won't have to worry about the locker locking or unlocking. Just my two cents.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

am I going to notice more wear in my tires?
Old 02-08-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A spool on the street = every bolt in your drivetrain working loose, unless you have a maintained race car that you check often. horrible handling on uneven roads (any road around here). Yea your tires will wear because when you go around a corner the inner one will spin as the outer travels.
Its not luxurious thats for sure. If your car sees more time on the street than the track I wouldnt get a spool.

My friends car we were working on (spool) we tried moving over in my driveway by pushing....hell no, had to jack it up to turn it.

My opinion...they suck. and only good for a track car.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
A spool on the street = every bolt in your drivetrain working loose, unless you have a maintained race car that you check often. horrible handling on uneven roads (any road around here). Yea your tires will wear because when you go around a corner the inner one will spin as the outer travels.
Its not luxurious thats for sure. If your car sees more time on the street than the track I wouldnt get a spool.

My friends car we were working on (spool) we tried moving over in my driveway by pushing....hell no, had to jack it up to turn it.

My opinion...they suck. and only good for a track car.
Thats odd i daily drive a spool 90+ miles a day EVERYDAY and all my bolts are as tight as when i put them in.
Tires do wear more so thats why i rol on $40 used tires.
Pushing it with the wheel turned does suck.
Driving around i don't notice it has a spool AT ALL. Only in tight turns and in parking lots it chirps the tires.
Get a spool! They are cheaper, lighter and will NEVER break.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

If your looking for the best traction and straight-line acceleration then get the spool. They are very tough. I'd love to get a spooled rear. A lot of people would complain about them on a DD but as long as your not just turning corners all day I think you'd be fine.