Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HOLy crap Bellhousing! help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HOLy crap Bellhousing! help

Ok i cannot get this damn bellhousing off , ive pryed everywhere, i have all 8bolts out, i sprayed the entire outside of it with pb blaster a couple times and the dowels, this thing still wont budge ive yanked and tried twisting , pulling everything , this som bitch still wont come off wtf do i do?
Old 02-07-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same problem. Then I found a bolt near the top that I had not taken out. I felt like a real dumb sh-t! It might not be your trouble, but it's worth looking.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just took mine of and i could move it all over but it woldnt come off. I had to but a pry bar kinda in the midle of where it was rocking and hit the side that would move with a hammer. Do you know what Iam trying to say? sorry if ya dont. but it will help pull the stuck side off. If it doesnt move at all it sounds like another bolt is still holding it.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

spray some liquid wrench on the passenger size alignment pin. It is probably rusted. Don't use wd-40, use liquid wrench or some other rust penetrant to dissolve the rust.

I had the same problem. I sprayed mine, waited 10 minutes and it came right off.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

**** dude i had exactly the same problem! It ended up taking me and 2 other friends seriously about 3 hours or more of prying and beating to get it off! What i ended up doing is starting out with something small like a flat head screwdriver (get a couple of them) and work it inbetween the bellhousing and motor. Then when you get a little opening wedge a pry bar or something in there and pry like there is no tomorrow! Then do the same on the other side. It might take quite a few times of going back and forth to break it loose all the way around. You might have to get creative though. I had some pretty weird *** tools to help me get the job done.....for example: framing hammer, and some sort of weird *** looking garden tool! Just take your time and maybe get a couple buddies together so you can attack it from both sides. When you get frustrated its easier to just to take a short break and come back with a clear mind. Good luck!

Brent
Old 02-08-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Several of us have been there, including myself before. But atleast now you have a good reason to remember the anti-sieze upon re-installation.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep. I bought my car bone stock at ~45k miles. Within 3 days of getting it I ordered a new clutch. I had to and and but I finally got the bellhousing off. I put a piece of wood where the starter was, and beat the wood to pulp. The bellhousing finally came off. Anti-sieze afterwards on the dowel pins, for sure.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Launching!

ok i got this piece of **** off finally soaked it with pb blaster for long time twice all around, brought big mallet home from work and started to pound and pry bout 25minutes later it budged off

NOW the problem is the ****** pilot bearing, i rented a puller from autozone and one of the arms ****** snapped and it popped out marred the bearing to hell and pulled needles out with it. ok so now what , do i own the puller now? why the hell does this got to be so damn hard when its so ****** easy?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Take the puller back to AZ and get another one.

Take a hammer & chisel and put a notch in the pilot bearing. This will let you jam the (new) puller in there, give it a twist so it can grab on something, and let it do its work. That's how I did mine. The pilot bearing isn't that tough, doesn't take much to notch it.

Do not try the 'pack with wet toilet paper or grease' method. The LS1 crank is hollow, and you'll likely end up pushing the crank oil gallery plug in to the oil pan. Which opens up a whole new mess-o-trouble.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

that is why most people don't bother renting the "pilot bearing puller". The preferred tool is called a "blind hole puller". I rented mine from autozone. It is very strong and made short work of my badly worn pilot bearing.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Blind Hole Puller, from AZ, I just got mine out last night, it's the second size from the smallest. Just make sure it's tight as you can get it, then just hammer like there's no tomorrow!

Quick Reply: HOLy crap Bellhousing! help