Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

More fodder for a trade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default More fodder for a trade?

I tried but couldn't resist hitting Pacific Raceways for opening TnT. Not so sure it was a good idea now.

As soon as I drove in, I met up with Russ (Krautburner). Nice to meet you Russ and thanks for the help on getting me hooked up with tech (they have roving tech today). I also got to see Ellis again and although I didn't get to see them, heard some other familiar names from a few years back on the f-list.

It was packed as expected but that was part of the fun. My son loves checking out all the cars and taking pictures. He had plenty to check out today! I was hoping to get 3-4 runs and I did get 3 runs in.

Configuration: Car is bone stock mechanically. 1700 miles. No track prep--spare tire, jack etc still in car, rear tire pressure untouched. I do have a bit more rubber on the rears with my 285's but also a bit more rotational mass with the 18's. 1/2 tank of fuel.

Results:

First run: I suck; forgot and left T/C on.

Second run: OK launch, some wheel hop. Saw the end of the 1/4 mi coming and thought I could make it though the traps in the top of 3rd gear. Not so, hit the limiter just prior. I'm guessing that's why my MPH was so poor.

60': 2.158
E/T: 13.67
MPH: 103.42

Third run: A bit better launch, still minor wheel hop. Decent run.

60': 2.146
E/T: 13.36
MPH: 106.36

Sooooo....

Now I haven't been to a dragstrip in a few years; I've concentrated soley on road racing. I can see in my 60' times I have room for improvement. The last car I drag raced was my '95 Firehawk which I could consistently pull 1.9xx 60' times on street tires. With that car I ran a best E/T of 13.3 but at a much lower 103 MPH.

I guess the most blunt way to say this is that I'm disappointed. As I mentioned, I need to do my part with a better launch, but the MPH is what really gets me. I know my car is heavy since I didn't prep the car but 400hp should be pulling better trap times. I think at least 2-3mph better.

I don't know what I'm trying to get at with this post. Mainly venting a bit. I did some checking and looks like stock Z06 1320 mph's are 112 or better. I guess my desire to trade into a Z06 is further fueled. What do you guys think? Am I being unreasonable? I like the GTO but I just keep looking at the performance difference. Hmmmmm....

Edit: My reference to Z06 performance is a C5 Z06, not the out-of-my-price-range C6 Z06.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:05 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw your car there, didn't realize it was you. You were right a lane over in the staging lanes from me for a while.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:10 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by JJKJ
I don't know what I'm trying to get at with this post. Mainly venting a bit. I did some checking and looks like stock Z06 1320 mph's are 112 or better. I guess my desire to trade into a Z06 is further fueled. What do you guys think? Am I being unreasonable? I like the GTO but I just keep looking at the performance difference. Hmmmmm....
You have two things working against you in a GTO... #1 being an 800 lbs difference between the cars, #2 being that torque management is going to have more effect on the GTO than on the Z06.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I didnt see that silver C6 trapping anything outrageous.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
I saw your car there, didn't realize it was you. You were right a lane over in the staging lanes from me for a while.
I saw your car, but you weren't in it at the time.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Poik
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I didnt see that silver C6 trapping anything outrageous.
Anyone know what the C6 did trap at?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
You have two things working against you in a GTO... #1 being an 800 lbs difference between the cars, #2 being that torque management is going to have more effect on the GTO than on the Z06.
Yep, I understand the weight difference, but the Z06's trap speeds are averaging between 112 and 115mph. Considering the Z06 and the GTO share the same tranny ratios and similiar rearend ratios, the only difference is weight. I guess that's where I'm expecting to see a 108mph trap speed.

The thing I don't understand though is why torque mgmt would have a greater effect on the GTO than the Z06? Is it a more aggressive program for the LS2 than the LS6?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:23 AM
teh PuRpL3z

The thing I don't understand though is why torque mgmt would have a greater effect on the GTO than the Z06? Is it a more aggressive program for the LS2 than the LS6?
Most definitely.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

John there is so much working against you in the tune it self. IF I had the stuff to tune it I could get at least 2-3/10ths out of it and never change the Horse Power rating

BUT the only two companies who have the software are not selling yet Right now to get into LS2/7 HPT is going to cost me about $3,500 per year I just can't justify it yet As soon as I have enough people to justify it I will move on it The stuff I do to get that power is not any thing other tuners are doing

I did a WS6 this weekend. We will have to see how he feels about it after driving it for a bit
Old 02-13-2006, 01:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
John there is so much working against you in the tune it self. IF I had the stuff to tune it I could get at least 2-3/10ths out of it and never change the Horse Power rating

BUT the only two companies who have the software are not selling yet Right now to get into LS2/7 HPT is going to cost me about $3,500 per year I just can't justify it yet As soon as I have enough people to justify it I will move on it The stuff I do to get that power is not any thing other tuners are doing

I did a WS6 this weekend. We will have to see how he feels about it after driving it for a bit
Dang, that's too bad Ellis. As you'll see in my post in your thread, I was wondering if you'd have the software to tune before I leave the area. I guess there's always a mail order tune when you get the software? I'd rather have a custom tune, but if you're only addressing the TM problem, could that be done outside the car?

I know the only way I'll be happy with this car is with it in the easy 12's. Unfortunately bolt-ons aren't an option if I'm going to run the car at the road course in stock class.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:08 AM
12 Second Club

I spoke to you and did not realize who you were.

That is a nice looking GTO you have.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
I spoke to you and did not realize who you were.

That is a nice looking GTO you have.
Thanks Steve. Were you the one telling me you had a black SS?
Old 02-13-2006, 10:10 PM
T is for Towing not Turbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know what the C6 did trap at?

110. It was an auto too.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

The GTO has the same M12 tranny? I thought only the Zo6 had this low geared special. Check out my stock with DR/CAI run in my sig, the recorded is 11.5x. Can't beat a Z06 for concerning bang for the buck, and it's a buyer's market. I think Cartech has a fix for the TM on the GTO. My TM is all at 600torque, dosen't effect anyhing, and that is why most say it has no tm. get the Z06 and you'll never look back. some trap stockish in the high teens. Next time your out come on over and check mine out, i would be glad to meet ya.
Robert
Old 02-13-2006, 10:41 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Thanks Steve. Were you the one telling me you had a black SS?
Yeah, he has a sweet black LS1 SS and he was driving the teal LT1 car with the blacked out rear panel.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverbullet02
110. It was an auto too.
110mph through the traps??? You got to be kidding..........

I didn't get to see it unfortunately..........

That makes me feel much better about my car trapping 119mph all 346ci of motor.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Edit:

Russ was being an uninformed dumbass
and is eating his shoe now

Last edited by KrautBurner; 02-14-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KrautBurner
no,
the GTO has teh Tremec T56
but I was under the impression the gearing was close
Incorrect Russ. The GTO received the M12 trans. Take a look at your option codes under the hood or on under your trunk mat; you'll see M12 listed. The GTO, CTS-V, and C5 Z06's were the only vehicles to receive the M12 gearing.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Robert56
The GTO has the same M12 tranny? I thought only the Zo6 had this low geared special. Check out my stock with DR/CAI run in my sig, the recorded is 11.5x. Can't beat a Z06 for concerning bang for the buck, and it's a buyer's market. I think Cartech has a fix for the TM on the GTO. My TM is all at 600torque, dosen't effect anyhing, and that is why most say it has no tm. get the Z06 and you'll never look back. some trap stockish in the high teens. Next time your out come on over and check mine out, i would be glad to meet ya.
Robert
Robert,

Yea, as mentioned in my previous post, the GTO, CTS-V, and your C5 Z06 all share the M12 trans.

Where are you in Puyallup? I'm in South Hill (Silvercreek).
Old 02-14-2006, 12:40 AM
11 Second Club

wow,

I'm sitting in my underwear getting ready for bed,
I'm not putting pants on to go check it,
but I'll take your word for it,

I had been told it was the Tremec T56 (same as the Borge Warner, but with wider gears)
but I know nothing about trannys
(well, except for those ones in singapore)

Edit:

ok,
I don't like being told I'm wrong,
so I went and found the metal tag under the hood,
and it says Trans M12

and no,
I didn't put on pants,
I hate my neighbors,
but it's cold out there in my underwear.

Last edited by KrautBurner; 02-14-2006 at 12:50 AM.

Quick Reply: More fodder for a trade?