Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need input....I want a SC. Waaaaaah!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 01:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need input....I want a SC. Waaaaaah!!

Ok. Heres my dilemna. A while back, I was deciding on whether to go the FI route, or stay N/A with a heads and cam setup. Well, I decided to go H/C in the end. I went with a G5X3 cam, and a set of AFR 205's milled down to 59cc's, and a set of 30lb/hr injectors. If Im not mistaken, this raised my CR around a full point or so over stock. (correct me if Im wrong) I also had the pistons flycut to clear the valves. That's whats done to the motor, along with all the bolt-ons. I saw a vid of a guy with a T/A and he had a G5X3, and a P1sc, and it seemed to work fine for him. It sounded completely badass as well. The blower whine seemed to go up and down with the choppy idle of the cam. That's exactly what I want. It's the second car in this vid...http://home.comcast.net/~deezuns//rpmdyno2.wmv

Now...I have always wanted a s/c'ed car. I love the sound of a blower, and the power it gives. I know that higher compression is not the best for a FI set-up. Is a S/C completely out of the question for me? Here are my questions...

1. Would it be do-able to stick with my current set-up and just put on a P1sc, or a D1sc with a pump and bigger injectors, run low boost, and have it tuned?

2. I would only want to run a low amount of boost for now, until I could do a forged set-up at a later time. Is it possible to run low boost and not blow the damn thing up?

3. Should I sell my heads, and put back on the stock ones, to bring down the CR some, and then get a S/C? (selling them would give me some money towards the S/C kit too)

4. Is it ok to run a FI set-up with flycut pistons as long as I dont go with too much boost?

I might have some more questions as I think of them, so bear with me..thanks!
As for my goals......this is going to be a complete street car, with a trip to the track once, maybe twice a season at the most. If I ever really get on it, its on the street occasionally to show off for the friends, or in a parking lot or something. Maybe a highway pull every now and then. I tend to drive it rather tamely. So, basically.....What route would you take to go into S/C set-up, if you were me? Thaks a lot in advance for any input. I really want to do this, but without blowing up the motor for now. I just want a really nasty street machine....I'm sure YOU guys can understand, if anyone can.

P.S. Heres a quick rundown of my mods, if it has any bearing on your opinions...

G5X3 cam, AFR 205's milled, full bolt ons, Spec 3 clutch w/ flywheel, Denny's Nitrous ready d/s, Moser 9" w/ 4.56's, SFC's, full tubular rear suspension, and car is dropped a bit over an inch or so.

Last edited by Nittany_marine; 08-24-2006 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:20 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

You could run with what you have and push a little boost through it, but if it were me, I would swap out the heads and sell the AFR's. I don't see a problem with the flycut pistons, it is the ring lands that always see give first. Bob
Old 02-16-2006, 04:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
You could run with what you have and push a little boost through it, but if it were me, I would swap out the heads and sell the AFR's. I don't see a problem with the flycut pistons, it is the ring lands that always see give first. Bob

Thanks for the input. I know you know what you're talking about. How little boost are we talking about if I was to keep the AFR heads on there? Im not looking for a ton, though. Just something for some extra "oomph." I think if I could sell the heads, that might make a considerable dent in the price of a P1SC, or D1SC kit. Hmmm.....

All opinions are welcome. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2006, 05:21 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

For keeping the AFR Heads:
You would need to go with the P-1SC to run the lower boost level, or order the D-1SC using the six rib set-up instead of the eight rib, to run the lower boost. The D-1SC eight rib kit won't get you low enough boost with the largest blower pulley they offer.
I would go with the D-1SC 6 rib set-up, which can come with the larger 4.5" twin intercoolers. I would figure on running approx 6 psi of boost with the AFR heads. In the future all you will need to do is order the ATI ProCharger 8 rib upgrade kit, which is $350.00, then use the ATI Performance Products harmonic balancer, which is necessary for the eight rib kit. The 6 rib kit blower pulley has three pins that fit into the stock balancer. The $350.00 6 rib upgrade is cheaper than the $1,200.00 ATI upgrade to turn a P-1SC into a D-1SC, which is why I suggest going with the D-1SC 6 rib assembly. I'm just trying to think ahead...

For removing the AFR heads:
I would go with the ATI ProCharger D-1SC 8 rib kit, and run it at 8 psi of boost. This would require the harmonioc balancer that is mentioned above, but it will save you $350.00 that is required for the 6 rib to 8 rib conversion.

Decisons, decisions... Hope this helps! Bob
Old 02-16-2006, 05:27 AM
11 Second Club

For keeping the AFR Heads:
You would need to go with the P-1SC to run the lower boost level, or order the D-1SC using the six rib set-up instead of the eight rib, to run the lower boost. The D-1SC eight rib kit won't get you low enough boost with the largest blower pulley they offer.
I would go with the D-1SC 6 rib set-up, which can come with the larger 4.5" twin intercoolers. I would figure on running approx 6 psi of boost with the AFR heads. In the future all you will need to do is order the ATI ProCharger 8 rib upgrade kit, which is $350.00, then use the ATI Performance Products harmonic balancer, which is necessary for the eight rib kit. The 6 rib kit blower pulley has three pins that fit into the stock balancer. The $350.00 6 rib upgrade is cheaper than the $1,200.00 ATI upgrade to turn a P-1SC into a D-1SC, which is why I suggest going with the D-1SC 6 rib assembly. I'm just trying to think ahead...

For removing the AFR heads:
I would go with the ATI ProCharger D-1SC 8 rib kit, and run it at 8 psi of boost. This would require the harmonioc balancer that is mentioned above, but it will save you $350.00 that is required for the 6 rib to 8 rib conversion.

Decisons, decisions... Hope this helps! Bob
Any chance of getting a PM on the prices of these different setups? I know you guys have some good prices from what I hear about EPP on this site and others. Thanks Bob!
Old 02-16-2006, 05:35 AM
TECH Addict

I would ditch the AFR's as well. Your compression needs to be at 9.5 'ish. Definitely go for the D1sc since more than likely you will want to up the boost later. I don't know the difference in pricing between the D1 and P1 but it probably isn't much. The good thing about the Procharger is 500-550 rwhp can be had easily on the D1sc and fairly cheaply as well. There are TONS of Turbo vs. Supercharger threads floating around. Many of the Supercharger fans that post within those threads can attest to the pros of the Supercharger. The only con (in my eyes) is belt slip which is easily fixed with the SDCE kit once you get to 12psi and greater. Not a big deal right now though.

IMHO- go with some 6.0 truck heads w/ MLS gaskets, D1sc 8psi, injectors, dual intanks, stock fuel rails and feed line (for now until you boost up more), and that ATI balancer. With your cam, that would make a pretty sick combo.

Good luck man
Andy
Old 02-16-2006, 05:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I would ditch the AFR's as well. Your compression needs to be at 9.5 'ish. Definitely go for the D1sc since more than likely you will want to up the boost later. I don't know the difference in pricing between the D1 and P1 but it probably isn't much. The good thing about the Procharger is 500-550 rwhp can be had easily on the D1sc and fairly cheaply as well. There are TONS of Turbo vs. Supercharger threads floating around. Many of the Supercharger fans that post within those threads can attest to the pros of the Supercharger. The only con (in my eyes) is belt slip which is easily fixed with the SDCE kit once you get to 12psi and greater. Not a big deal right now though.

IMHO- go with some 6.0 truck heads w/ MLS gaskets, D1sc 8psi, injectors, dual intanks, stock fuel rails and feed line (for now until you boost up more), and that ATI balancer. With your cam, that would make a pretty sick combo.

Good luck man
Andy
Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:55 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by Nittany_marine
Any chance of getting a PM on the prices of these different setups? I know you guys have some good prices from what I hear about EPP on this site and others. Thanks Bob!
ATI doesn't allow any pricing under 7.5& under MSRP to be in any form of print, which means you'll have to call me. Thanks for inquiring, our # is 260 244-4808. Bob
Old 02-16-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

give Bob a ring, he will make it worth your time, and he will explain how it all works. great customer service, which seems like it is dying around shops lately.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

I'll be sure to give him a call.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you may want to go to a lower rear end gear. 4.56 is a bit high for forced induction. just a thought.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
you may want to go to a lower rear end gear. 4.56 is a bit high for forced induction. just a thought.
Thanks.....I was thinking that myself....
Old 07-11-2006, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

Im bringing this up from the dead so I can get some more opinions. The "blower bug" has bitten me again.

Would it be okay to drive with my milled AFR's on for the time being as long as I dont abuse the throttle? (I rarely do anyway) I'd love to keep the heads, run a small amount of boost, and get it tuned, just to give me that extra edge. Thanks again for the input guys!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:49 AM
11 Second Club

any more thoughts? Im still wondering if I can use my heads until I get a different set that are more boost friendly. Thanks again!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

You can run boost with 11/1 compression, you just can't run a lot of it. With a good tune you can run 6 psi of boost without having to worry about it. Bob
Old 08-24-2006, 05:59 AM
TECH Addict

I would just sell them. They seem to have a fair resale value. Good luck

Andy
Old 08-24-2006, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What head gaskets are you using? You could throw some thicker ones in to help out
Old 08-24-2006, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

You can run boost with 11/1 compression, you just can't run a lot of it. With a good tune you can run 6 psi of boost without having to worry about it. Bob
Ok. Noted. Thanks for always giving your advice. Its very appreciated.

I would just sell them. They seem to have a fair resale value. Good luck

Andy
Thats what I'm thinking as well. The extra money left over after buying some regular heads should help pay for some of the fuel accessories.

What head gaskets are you using? You could throw some thicker ones in to help out
Im using the GM MLS gaskets. That might be an idea too.

Quick Reply: Need input....I want a SC. Waaaaaah!!