Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to replace stock muffler...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Want to replace stock muffler...

I can't afford a cat-back right now because of car payments...so I was wondering if I got a Dynomax bullet muffler (2.5" inlet/outlet, 16.5" long) if that would work on my stock exhaust. Also, how would it sound? I couldn't find any clips at LS1Sounds so I was just wondering. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Launching!

If you're trying to save money, just get a cutout, ~30 bucks, ~20 to get installed, and it sounds nice with the stock manifolds. It'll flow better too. Plus down the line if you want to get an electric cutout, you can just bolt the electric part onto it.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, I think I would need a Magnaflow muffler (#14266) in order to work with my stock exhaust.

What do you all think? What other mufflers out there would work with my stock exhaust?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Muerte_X
If you're trying to save money, just get a cutout, ~30 bucks, ~20 to get installed, and it sounds nice with the stock manifolds. It'll flow better too. Plus down the line if you want to get an electric cutout, you can just bolt the electric part onto it.
Yeah, I've thought about that too. I may just do that.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flowmaster's are pretty cheap

You could do the old truck trick and just run pipes only from the cat back. Muffler shop will do that dirt cheap.

Also try ebay and the for sale section
Old 02-16-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

personally, i dont know why people get catbacks IF the same company offers a muffler. i just welded a magnaflow muffler into place of the WS6 muffler and bam, i basically have a magnaflow catback for 300$ less, only difference is that the magnaflow is 3" and mine is 2.75", which to me is not worth the extra cash. jmo
Old 02-16-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

The muffler pictured above will not exactly work. You need a muffler with the inlet and 1 of the outlets on the same side. But put some sort of muffler on it! I replaced my stock muffler with a Hooker replacement muffler. I loved it with the stock system. I did drive the car for a day after I cut the stock muffler off before I put the other one on and it sounded like crap. I was embarrased to drive it around much. It was extremely loud, but not COOL loud. I think you can get the muffler for like $75. I ordered mine at an Auto Parts store, but some sponsors have them now. You will need to buy like a 6" piece of 2 1/4"tube if you are using the stock tail pipes as the muffler is shorter. The driver's side needs this extension to exit at the same spot.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FSUNole17
personally, i dont know why people get catbacks IF the same company offers a muffler. i just welded a magnaflow muffler into place of the WS6 muffler and bam, i basically have a magnaflow catback for 300$ less, only difference is that the magnaflow is 3" and mine is 2.75", which to me is not worth the extra cash. jmo

because the piping is larger and the split probably flows better, and the tips, and you can install is yourself without a welder
Old 02-16-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just take the muffler off and redo the tailpipes. i love the way mine sounds...pretty sure you would too.

Last edited by kyles2000z; 02-16-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camaroextra
because the piping is larger and the split probably flows better, and the tips, and you can install is yourself without a welder
piping being larger will only affect u if u are flowing MAJOR Amounts of exhaust, i dont exactly know waht u mean about split, the tips u can also get ur own custom tips welded into place (liek i did) and yes u can install it urself but for 300$ difference, id rather pay a shop 50$ to install the muffler

Quick Reply: Want to replace stock muffler...