Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Z28 and Pacesetter LT's

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Z28 and Pacesetter LT's

I have a 2000 Z28 and I have a set of Pacesetter LT headers that I want to install. I have done a set of FLP LT headers on a 2000 SS about 4 years ago but I don;'t exaclty remember all the specifics. Can you just tell me what header installs from where?? Like does the driver side header go in from the top or the bottom of the car and does the passenger side header go in from the bottom or top of the car. I remember we have to take the starter out and undo the steering arm I believe to get them in. A little help on these issues would be greatly appreciated. One more thing is I am going to run an O/R Y pipe but I don't have the O2 sims yet. How is the car going to run without the rear O2 sensors hooked up and without any O2 sims installed??
Old 02-17-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

on mine, both sides went in from the bottom, pretty easy. didnt have to remove the starter. i did have to remove the steering linkage. your car will run fine without the rear o2 sensors in, will cause your check engine light to come on though.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck
on mine, both sides went in from the bottom, pretty easy. didnt have to remove the starter. i did have to remove the steering linkage. your car will run fine without the rear o2 sensors in, will cause your check engine light to come on though.
Install is cake.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

I didnt have to remove my steering linkage.....Did have to file down a tab on the driver side....other than that the install went in from the bottom up!

Have fun man!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

**** i didn't have to modify a single thing! Just jack the car up in the air as high as humanly possible and slide them up from the bottom with a buddy up top! Mine went in like a dream. It honestly took longer to change sparkplugs than to install my Pacesetters! Good luck!

Brent
Old 02-18-2006, 05:19 AM
Teching In

i just installed my pacesetters this week and both sides are installed from the bottom. On the driver side i had to grind a motor tab down that was on the block, but other then that they went in great, and i don't know if they made any improvments on the headers they are making now but both me and my brother installed these headers on our cars within the last month and the fit and clearance is great.

2001 ws6 a4 ( slp lid, slp bellow, magnaflo catback, crane cam tuner, BGRA, pacesetter headers, offroad tsp y pipe, asp pulley, slp strut tower bar)
Old 02-18-2006, 05:59 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, from the bottom is your best bet by far.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Just got done with the install. Went fairly smooth on the install, however the removal of the old stuff was a nightmare. Every bolt was rusted and broke off when we tried to loosen them with liquid wrench on them. The LT headers we went with are non emission headers so all the EGR stuff coming out of the manifolds we plugged with a pipe plug. The egr pipe that went into the front of the intake we cut a piece of aluminum and bolted it down over that hole to cover it. Is this how everyone else usually takes care of this hole in the front of the intake or is there another trick? Also the plug that goes to the EGR Valve itself is now just unhooked in the engine bay since we removed the EGR valve completely. Is there something that needs to be done with this plug or can it just stay unhooked in the engine bay??
Old 02-18-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

do you plan on getting an ls6 or fast? if you are, just keep it plugged until then
Old 02-19-2006, 12:34 AM
10 Second Club

install them from the bottom. just jack the car off the ground as high as you can. Installation was very easy. I did take the coil packs and dipstick off though, didn't take long, and allowed me to reach the header bolts.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Same thing... slid up pretty easily from the bottom.....

Instead of grinding down the tab on the block, I just loosend up the motor mount on the driver side and raised the engine about 1/2"..... then they slid in easily
Old 02-19-2006, 02:01 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get on the phone with thunder racing, and order a set of poly motor mounts for $50. Install them when you do the headers so you do not end up starting another thread about your y-pipe banging the floorboard. If you don't do this, you will wish you had later. These motor mounts will keep your motor dead still and are one of my favorite mods so far.

Mine slid in like buttah. Higher is better with the headers. Remove the sparkplugs and all but like 2 of the easiest exhaust bolts on each side from the top before you jack the car up. Might be easier to leave the #8 plug in too. Jack up as high as possible, and start taking **** apart.