Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Bad Luck???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Luck???

So I've had my car since last May and since owning the my dreams, nothing but bad stuff has happened. I have never been in an accident before owning this car and I'm wondering if certain cars (mainly mine) are just cursed?!? Here is the history:

May 27th: Car Bought.....wooohooo!!!!
July 6th: First donut in the car...power steering pump blows...doh!!!
August 13: Clutch goes out...that stuff just happens.
September 14: Soccer moms runs me off the freeway and I run over some huge metal beam on the shoulder and blows my wheels and cracks my rim (which are discontinued).
October 27: Drunk driver swirves into my lane and I try to avoid him and since it was pouring down rain I lost control jumped a curb and hit a telephone pole. Took me until the middle of Jan. to finally get all the work done on my car because my insurance (AIG) sucks a big one.
Last night: Went out to the street races in Renton for the first time to see what they were all about. I didn't want to race or anything, just wanted to see what kind of cars were up there. After being there an hour I pulled into a parking lot behind some truck (84 Datsun) who was trying to race around w/ all the ricers. More ricers pulled in behind me and all of a sudden the truck infront of me decides he can't park and needs to throw it in reverse and smash on the gas. I held my horn down and for whatever reason he didn't hear and ran over the front of my car!!!!!!

So I still owe $8,500 on the car and I know I couldn't get that much for it if I sold it so I feel like I'm stuck w/ it. All I want to do is get rid of it and get an LS1 but I feel like I'm stuck!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn dude......that sucks. I am sorry.........but I feel your pain......since I got my 2000 WS6 (and it continued with my 02) I have been in almost half a dozen fender benders, have had to replace the 2 front windshields 3-4 times, blew out a tire and bent a rim going 2-3 MPH around a corner with a broken curb (that I didn't see) and then the various other maladies.......like my rear end going south, etc. Sorry amigo.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry dude, that sucks. Seems like bad luck comes in streaks. I had extremely good luck with my car for the first 3 or so years I owned it. Then, just driving down the highway with the A/C on and it blows a head gasket. Car sat for a year. I finally fixed the head gasket and 2 months after that, lost 2nd gear. While the car was sitting in the garage I noticed a coolant leak on the floor, turns out I'd blown another head gasket, apparently the same time I lost 2nd gear in my trans. Car sat for another year, got divorced, lost nearly everything I owned of value from that and came real close to practically giving my car away just to get out from under an un-needed payment. Now I'm back on my feet, but I'm glad I kept the car and it's currently going under the knife for an LSx engine swap. I'm just hoping the bad luck is behind me cuz I'm excorcising the demon within and repacing it with an LSX.

Things I'll most certainly miss with the LT1:
-Opti spark ignition, or lack thereof depending how you look at it.
-Burnt plug wires from impossible wire routing
-Nearly impossible spark plug access on passenger side
-Tight engine compartment and blood transfusions from header/head swaps
-An extra 100lbs on the nose of the car
-Dropping the pan for a cam swap
-Oil leaks from dropping the pan
-Shitty clutch design

Other than that,,,, I love the LT1 lol...

I see your car is a 97 also. I'm going to document my swap with the wiring, parts needed, pictures, journal etc. Maybe you should consider an LSX swap since it sounds like your somewhat stuck with it. ?

Mike
Old 02-18-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

That would be awesome if you could do a writeup on your swap, that is defintiely something I want to do in the very near future. Maybe, all my bad luck is in the engine haha.

Also, sorry to hear about both of your horror stories w/ your cars. Misery definitely doesn't love company in this situation. And I'm trying to look on the bright side of this situation and maybe I can get a ram air hood out of the deal
Old 02-18-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Ouch, that sucks man. I have never driven my car to the Kent races, too many dumbasses there. Every time that I went (back in highschool) I would always see someone almost total another car. I have friends that have seen people die down there, and I have friends who have had their cars they built themselves from the ground up get totalled and they couldn't do anything about it because some people pack heat.

IMO, I would pay off your car before you do any major mods to it. Good luck with a problem free rest of 2006...
Old 02-19-2006, 12:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Birdofprey
That would be awesome if you could do a writeup on your swap, that is defintiely something I want to do in the very near future. Maybe, all my bad luck is in the engine haha.

Also, sorry to hear about both of your horror stories w/ your cars. Misery definitely doesn't love company in this situation. And I'm trying to look on the bright side of this situation and maybe I can get a ram air hood out of the deal
Ya, try to be positive dude and I hope everything works out for the best on your end. A ram-air hood would look killer on your TA!! I tend to go against the grain of most, and I like the looks of the LT1 platforms (TA's and Camaros) better than the LS1's. Hence the LSx swap in my car. An SS or Sunoco hood is in the 'plans' for my car.

I'll def. be documenting the engine swap (lot's of pics etc..). It'll be a somewhat slow process, as it's not a daily driver and I'm not in a huge hurry to get it done. But it will be fun and I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty again. I've done some research and it looks like the 97's are the easiest to switch over using a 98 LS1 engine wiring harness. I guess even the 97 gauges can be used with minimal changes to the harness.

Mike
Old 02-19-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, that's a lot of stuff happening in a short amount of time...I hope Things get better for you from now on so you can drive your car and not be worried about something happening to it...Yikes...
Old 02-20-2006, 03:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Too bad its not an auto, we need some parts (as in the entire car).

Many times I've said that ever since I joined this board and crazy group that goes with it, the bad luck has hit my 93' which ran flawlessly for 12 freakin years. Within a month it has needed more work than I ever wanted to have to fix

I feel your pain.
Seriously.