LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

weight reduction??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weight reduction??

I have a 95 ta and weighed it last week it was 3380 without me in it. How do i loose some more weight? I already have diff. k-mem,a-arms,no f-sway,f-bumper,pass or back seats diff. carpet no pass air bag,strange brakes on front. This just seems very heavy! 9inch rear and 6 speed thanks
Old 02-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Banned

here is a wieght reduction list made. I took off my front sway bar, no A/C no front supports, removed all heat shields, new carpet, no back seats, battery relocation will help, lighter balancer, you must have power window, locks, seats, ect.. that will weigh alot. depends how far your willing to go if this is a dailey driver...
Old 02-19-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you take the sound deadener out or just all the carpet? How much of a difference is it w/o the sound deadener not in if you took it out? Was taking it out hard?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blind527
Did you take the sound deadener out or just all the carpet? How much of a difference is it w/o the sound deadener not in if you took it out? Was taking it out hard?

You have to remove all of the seats and seatbelts and console to get it out. Not that bad as long as you don't strip one of the seatbelt bolts, you will be grinding for hours.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blind527
I Have no idea how loud it is going to be inside, since it has not been out in quite a few months. If i remember correctly it wasnt hard getting it out, the hardest part is getting the deadner out from under the pedals, and way up toward the front of the car. Other than that is was a breeze. Some parts I just cut out... makes it alot easier unless you plan on selling it or re using it...
Old 02-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Teching In

I took the sound deadener out,I could not tell any sound diff. I also have pro stars on the car. Thanks for replys any more?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pontiacfireTAWS6
I Have no idea how loud it is going to be inside, since it has not been out in quite a few months. If i remember correctly it wasnt hard getting it out, the hardest part is getting the deadner out from under the pedals, and way up toward the front of the car. Other than that is was a breeze. Some parts I just cut out... makes it alot easier unless you plan on selling it or re using it...

The only reason I ask is because my cousins Eclipse has to either have dry ice or have the deadener heated up to remove it from the carpet because it's really sticky.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info any more???
Old 02-19-2006, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

here is a wieght reduction list made. I took off my front sway bar, no A/C no front supports, removed all heat shields, new carpet, no back seats, battery relocation will help, lighter balancer, you must have power window, locks, seats, ect.. that will weigh alot. depends how far your willing to go if this is a dailey driver...
battery relocation doesn't lighten your car, just shifts the weight to a better area. Unless you mean relocate and use an Optima or DryCell race battery.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lightweight battery
Aluminum driveshaft
!ABS
!traction control
! EGR & AIR pump
fiberglass hood
empty washer fluid tank
! rear seatbelts
Old 02-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BRETTINATOR
battery relocation doesn't lighten your car, just shifts the weight to a better area. Unless you mean relocate and use an Optima or DryCell race battery.
correct. I think relocating the battery will help more than a dry cell battery mounted in the same location. Ive gone as far as taking off the front fenders and cutting out the inner fender wall... bumpers were a big one too, front and rear.. not safe, but light...
Old 02-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all your replys what weights are you guys at?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Banned

I have taken just about everything I can and still make the car go.. Compared to others weight and what I have done, I should be 3100 easy. I couldnt even think of all the things Ive done...
Old 02-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fastassta
Thanks for all your replys what weights are you guys at?

3,800 with me in it (200 lbs) in an A4 94 Convert with subframes etc.

Pig Weight
Old 02-19-2006, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

correct. I think relocating the battery will help more than a dry cell battery mounted in the same location. Ive gone as far as taking off the front fenders and cutting out the inner fender wall... bumpers were a big one too, front and rear.. not safe, but light...
I have not considered the fender areas but the new setup I'm doing is getting a BMR Kmember, maybe in a couple months I'll do upper & lowers which I hear don't make for a big difference in the weight compared to the Kmember swap. One big area overlooked on our cars is the glass. I cannot find the company that sells the rear hatch lexan window replacement, but couple years back I read they had driver/passenger window replacements, you could tint them, etc. It was a pretty large delta in weight savings, still searching for the company.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BRETTINATOR
I have not considered the fender areas but the new setup I'm doing is getting a BMR Kmember, maybe in a couple months I'll do upper & lowers which I hear don't make for a big difference in the weight compared to the Kmember swap. One big area overlooked on our cars is the glass. I cannot find the company that sells the rear hatch lexan window replacement, but couple years back I read they had driver/passenger window replacements, you could tint them, etc. It was a pretty large delta in weight savings, still searching for the company.
Yes, glass is DEFINATLY overlooked, im glad you said that because that rarely crosses my mind. the wieght savings with that is 200 or more pounds!
Old 02-19-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Check this out guys. I got one in my car.
http://www.batterystore.com/Odyssey/PC680.htm
BTW, it weighs more like ~13 lbs. I weighed it myself.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't remember for sure but think it's fastglass. Pretty pricey!
Old 02-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Yes, glass is DEFINATLY overlooked, im glad you said that because that rarely crosses my mind. the wieght savings with that is 200 or more pounds!

200 lbs from glass? I should have checked into that when I had to replace my windshield. Althought verts have special glass that fits NTSB guidlines for vehicle rollover. I wonder if the lexan shatters or can hold weight as good as normal glass? Have you seen any prices for that stuff?
Old 02-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all your help guys!

Quick Reply: weight reduction??