Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TB porting, and aluminum filings...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default TB porting, and aluminum filings...

Yesterday I ported and polished my TB. i did not remove the TB blade because i wanted to use it as a reference of when to stop. anyway, when i was done, it looked good, but i noticed that there were aluminum filings, EVERYWHERE! and the problem was there was alot of carbon, where the IAC was and the filings were stuck in the carbon, well, i had a hard time getting it all out, and i dont know if i actually did, i just got some compressed air in a can, and some cue tips, and tried to clean it up as best i could. but my question is, if i didnt get all of the filings out, is that going to hurt the motor. I mean i know that it cannot be good for it, i am just worried about it now. I just dont want it to get sucked into the intake and then down in the cylinders. I started it up and let it idle to make sure there were no idle problems, but i guess that i really wouldnt know if the filings were getting sucked into the motor, anyway... thanks guys!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brake parts cleaner then polish with mothers
Old 02-25-2006, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An air compressor cleaned mine out pretty damn good.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

change the oil when you get a chance. any shavings should be suspended in the oil by now.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, I mean i think that i got most of the shavings out, but so what you are saying is that if any shavings did get into the motor it shouldnt hurt anything because the particles are so small that they will get suspended in the oil? I am changing the oil with more mobil 1 next weekend when i do the header/ true dual setup.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

dont wait to change it. change it now to minimize any risk. an oil change is cheaper than an engine.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

So changing the oil in the car will take care of any shavings that may have been sucked into the engine? I just let the car idle around the neighborhood and the rpm's never got above like 1200, i was just makin sure that the idle was still ok after porting. and i feel like i got it cleaned out pretty well with cue tips and compressed air. there was just some of the shavings stuck in the carbon buildup and i was worried that if there was some that i didnt see, then when i started the car up that some of the shavings may have been sucked into the cylinders...... but i think i will pull the TB back off again, and clean it a little more and then let it sit until next weekend when i can change the oil. Do you guys think that I have anything to worry about, or will the motor be alright? thanks!
Old 02-26-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just take off the two sensors on the TB and give it a hot soapy bath and then rinse and dry.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

i think it will be okay. just dont leave that crap in your oil.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scary, scary, scary. Please in the future take 10 mins and remove it first.

Those shavings could cause all kinds of havac inside your motor.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

wilwaxu, lol i did remove it from the car, i did this in the basement of my house, Im not that stupid lol. anyway, i think it'll be alright, i took the tb back off today to port some more, and it looked pretty clean. i spent like half an hour cleaning it last night before i put it back on the car. i was just worried about what little bit may have been left in a nook or crany somewhere in the tb.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
anyway, i think it'll be alright, i took the tb back off today to port some more, and it looked pretty clean.
That's because what was left got sucked into the engine

J/K man

When I port I always clean them PERFECT before I even THINK about sending them back to the owner or installing it on the car.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
wilwaxu, lol i did remove it from the car, i did this in the basement of my house, Im not that stupid lol. anyway, i think it'll be alright, i took the tb back off today to port some more, and it looked pretty clean. i spent like half an hour cleaning it last night before i put it back on the car. i was just worried about what little bit may have been left in a nook or crany somewhere in the tb.
Ahh! sorry, read into it a little too much.