General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

horrible squealing

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horrible squealing

i have had this squealing problem since ive owned my car..every time it rains out or is damp out something is squealing for the longest time i thought it was my belts but i tried belt conditioner and that didnt work and i have 2 put up with this really loud squealing every time..it also increasing with acceleration..any ideas wut it could be?
Old 02-25-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe your tensioner or a pulley but i wouldnt understand why it would only do it in the rain
Old 02-26-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Default Same Thing

Mine did the exact same thing, now it squeals all the time. I've replaced the belt tensioner and serpentine belt. It does not do it when I turn on and off the a/c so I'm ruling out the a/c idler pulley. I have no idea what it could be and the noise isn't easy to track.

HELP!
Old 02-26-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Default A Solution!

Change out the a/c belt. After changing out the upper tensioner pulley as everyone recommended, the main serpentine belt, I finally changed the A/C compressor belt and it cleared up right away. You can do as everyone recommends and put some dish washing soap on the lower belt to see if it stops it. If it stop then it is the belt and not one of the pulleys. I do warn that your car will smell like burnt dish soap even after you wipe it off until it all burns off. Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

yea i think im goin 2 give that a try...cause if i spray it it will stop for a moment then it starts back up again...so ill just replace the belt...thanx