Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collector Car Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Collector Car Insurance?

I have a 2000 SS and am looking for some cheaper insurance since i dont drive harldy at all, maybe 1,000 miles a year at the most. Is there any collector car insurance places out there that are cheap. The ones that i seen you have to have another car insured in your name for a daily driver. Im 21, and my daily driver is insured in my parents name because the price of that would be outrages too. Can i insure it my parents name even though the title is in my name. My insurance is $180 a month and i never had a ticket wreck or anything. I think that is rediculous since im not gonna drive the thing 1,000 miles a year.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I have been in your shoes on more than one occasion. I purchsed my ss brand new at 21 and ran into the same problem. Most ins. companies told me that to qualify for collector's coverage, the car must be more than 20 yeras old. I did find a few that were not like that, but they told me my daily driver must be newer than the car with collector's coverage. I had an old s10 at the time so I did not qualify. Basically, I dropped coverage as I never drove the car. (less than 500 miles/yr) GMAC found out and told me if I did not insure the vehicle, they would gladly add insurance onto my payment at almost $4200/yr. Don't do that. Your best bet would be do finance your car through someone other than GMAC, and then drop insurance down to comprehensive. I then started to finance all my cars through a local bank, then just drop insurance to comprehensive during the months I don't drive it. Basicaly most of the cost can be found in collision coverage, which if your car is not on the road, you do not need. Most banks only check for coverage within the first month if at all from what I am told. I am not sure if it is true, but it worked for me. Sure you pay a little higher intrest rate, but it is a lot better than paying that insurance. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I just turned 26 and paid my SS off. Basically, if it sits in the garage, just put comprehensive on it. DO NOT drop all coverage thinking it will be covered in the event of a home fire if it is in the garage. General rule of thumb, if you can buy a separate policy for it, the insurance company will not cover it under homeowners insurance. Oh, and yes you can insure it in your parents name even if it is in your name. Just some thoughts.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info i really appreciate it.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Do the same thing as wesst, I keep only comprehensive on the car 6 months out of the year..No sense in keeping full coverage when it sits in the garage.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

I have a loan on it so i cant get comprehensive can I?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my 1996 Z28 insured for $20,000 though a collector car insurance company. You have different mileages that you can choose from and there are some other stipulations such as having a second car as a daily driver and having it garaged. It pays off in the end, I pretty much set how much that I wanted the car insured for and it is only around $250.00 a year for full coverage with a $250.00 deductible.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will you tell us which collector car insurance company you are using so some of the rest of us here can save our hard earned money too.

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
I have my 1996 Z28 insured for $20,000 though a collector car insurance company. You have different mileages that you can choose from and there are some other stipulations such as having a second car as a daily driver and having it garaged. It pays off in the end, I pretty much set how much that I wanted the car insured for and it is only around $250.00 a year for full coverage with a $250.00 deductible.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm 23 and have my 02 Collector Edition TA insured through hagerty collector insurance. It costs me $515/year, but like you i had to provide proof that i also had a daily driver. With my truck under my parents name i had to move it off and onto my own policy under my own name otherwise hagerty wouldn't accept me. So i did just that put the truck and my daily driver onto my own insurance policy and have my TA under hagerty collector.

There are a lot of aspects to using collector insurance, its best if you read them first. http://www.hagerty.com/Auto/vehicle_qualify.aspx The locked garage,driving record, and daily driver seem to be the most important. When getting considered i had to provide pictures and some facts about the car (showing it was a limited production model) other than that it was just like getting any other sort of insurance.

Also hagerty has the agreed set worth of the car at $26,000 which is best part about using collector insurance.

Last edited by BanditTA; 03-06-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by v8hunter
Will you tell us which collector car insurance company you are using so some of the rest of us here can save our hard earned money too.

Yeah, sorry, I was getting ready to go to bed and I keep all of my info in the safe. Here is the contact info:

CLASSIC COLLECTORS INSURANCE
INFINITY INSURANCE COMPANY
1-800-348-4269

Last edited by n2oblkz; 03-07-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Launching!

I have American collectors insurance, out of Cherry Hill, NJ. I have a declared value of 20K and it costs me $300.00 a year full coverage. I am limited to 2500 miles a year, I had to show proof of my company car as a daily driver, and it has to be in a locked garage.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm sure it does, but, does your age matter like it does with regular insurance. If it does, does it matter as much?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hagerty requires you to be 18, most of the other companies i know of require age 25.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

V8hunter,

In the event that you did not get the information that I posted about the TOP SECRET insurance company, email me or PM me and I will give it to you. Otherwise, If you have anymore requests on topics such as this, contact 777 direct and he will assist you in this department.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

You act like a little girl that got her toys taken away. Is it really that big of a deal. I asked Tony to see what he says. They are his rules not mine.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
You act like a little girl that got her toys taken away. Is it really that big of a deal. I asked Tony to see what he says. They are his rules not mine.
Yeah, it is. This is a site to share information such as this. If I was trying to sell a product (auto parts related) or assist in such a venture, I could see. But telling somebody who you have you auto insurance with and then deleting it is just stupid. There are guys on here that discuss topics such as where they had their car worked on and by who, a lot of them are not sponsors, and those are not deleted? This is nothing different.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
You act like a little girl that got her toys taken away.
Nope, if you want to stop the spead of important information that might save some guys a significant amount of money, fine. Then I'll let you be the "go to" guy and asist them buy using PM's to obtain all of the information that they need.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

You went about things the wrong way. It's not hard to say, "why did you take away that information, or why is it that it isn't allowed on the board." But you sent me a pm all bent out of shape like it was your company or something. There's a right way and a wrong way to do something. You definatly chose the wrong way. Obviously you are too imature to handle things like a normal adult.

If your boss told you to do something, would you not do it? I do what my "boss" tells me to do. Now when I read this I wasn't thinking about it too much and deleted it, not thinking about what it really was. I don't know whether or not Tony cars about stuff like this, but it's his decision. I am waiting on his response. Non-sponsor advertising seems to be one of his annoyances since the people that sponsor the site pay him, PSJ, and Brains to run it. Why pay money if you can advertise for free?

EDIT:
You can post your valued information now if you'd like.

Last edited by 777; 03-07-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
You went about things the wrong way. It's not hard to say, "why did you take away that information, or why is it that it isn't allowed on the board." But you sent me a pm all bent out of shape like it was your company or something. There's a right way and a wrong way to do something. You definatly chose the wrong way. Obviously you are too imature to handle things like a normal adult.

If your boss told you to do something, would you not do it? I do what my "boss" tells me to do. Now when I read this I wasn't thinking about it too much and deleted it, not thinking about what it really was. I don't know whether or not Tony cars about stuff like this, but it's his decision. I am waiting on his response. Non-sponsor advertising seems to be one of his annoyances since the people that sponsor the site pay him, PSJ, and Brains to run it. Why pay money if you can advertise for free?
I just stated my case and brought to your attention that your actions, by removing the posted information, could cost guys money in the long run, the guys that were wanting to drop their insurance from $800 or $1000 dollars a year to possibly $250 or $300 a year. It was obvious by my original post that I was not advertising nor employed by the insurance company and if you could not see that, then, I really don't know what to say on your behalf other than read a little closer next time.

As far as being immature, I guess you made the case for the person being immature, you came on here doing all of the name calling just because somebody "called" you out. Well, you're a moderator, GET USE TO IT!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I never thought you were employed by the company. I already said I removed it just because it was contact info that was not a sponsor. I realised what I had done and that it probably didn't matter since no sponsors sell insurance here, so I asked Tony. He said yeah I wouldn't worry about it since no one sells insurance here. The imature comment was only for the fact that you could have handled it way differently and it would have been much better. You don't have to be a jerk about stuff, you can simply ask.

bobby5 sorry for the hi-jack. back on topic. n20blkz if you've got something else to say just send it over in a pm. I don't want to clutter this dudes thread anymore.