Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 06:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling system

ok guys i will be running ptk thumper kit with a gt
47-88mm air to water rae kit. i want to be able to run this kit on the street. what do you guys recomend as far as cooling components(water pump,radiator,heat exchanger etc..) to run on the street with no over heating issues.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:22 AM
9 Second Club

Ttt Ttt
Old 03-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmeister
ok guys i will be running ptk thumper kit with a gt
47-88mm air to water rae kit. i want to be able to run this kit on the street. what do you guys recomend as far as cooling components(water pump,radiator,heat exchanger etc..) to run on the street with no over heating issues.
What are the outlet temps off the Turbo/sc at max boost? The bad thing is you say street............. What area of the world do you live in? Are we talking a bottom feeder for air flow i.e. f-bod or vette? The best thing i can say is be sure to pressurize the system to aid in boiling the water. Watch whos heat exchanger you purchase most do not have a very high pressure rating. Our street items only run a 25 pound test on the prior to leaving. We have other items like for nascar that run 50 psi of pressure before the engine is even started.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

show us some pics of the ls1 ptk thumper 'kit' please

for doddling around the 'kit' shouldnt produce any extra heat that the stock cooling system can't handle... unless of course the airflow to the radiator be restricted.. and we don't know that.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:00 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the other guys we need more details and pictures are worth a 1000 words as they say.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

sorry guy.well the i bought the kit that 1s1cantu was selling(ptk thumper kit). there are pictures in for sale section. i live in tx.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:00 PM
9 Second Club

Guys I will post all the pics. Hes just trying to get a ball park figure. Trust me he does have the kit and it is the PTK thumper kit. I will be finished stripping his car Friday for body work and radiator core support relocation.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:13 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well JM from the pictures posted in the FS section if I recall that was with a bigger turbo so they were 100% accurate, but if I had to take a shot I would air on the safe side and buy a custom radiator to fit in the new area of the core support or if he stays with a stock size (width) I would use a Ron Davis or a Fluidyne with at least a four core radiator. And for fans I would use either stockers if they will fit or a couple of pusher fans in front if that is were they have to be located Buy the biggest that will fit and shoud be fine. In all honesty though the stock cooling system is probably suitable for just average driving unless he spends a lot of time in boost or on a road course I don't think it will get hot IMO. I haven't ever just had to install a larger radiator and I am in Houston also. I know you have it covered JM. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2006, 05:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Well JM from the pictures posted in the FS section if I recall that was with a bigger turbo so they were 100% accurate, but if I had to take a shot I would air on the safe side and buy a custom radiator to fit in the new area of the core support or if he stays with a stock size (width) I would use a Ron Davis or a Fluidyne with at least a four core radiator. And for fans I would use either stockers if they will fit or a couple of pusher fans in front if that is were they have to be located Buy the biggest that will fit and shoud be fine. In all honesty though the stock cooling system is probably suitable for just average driving unless he spends a lot of time in boost or on a road course I don't think it will get hot IMO. I haven't ever just had to install a larger radiator and I am in Houston also. I know you have it covered JM. Good luck!
First the days of four core radiators are gone you can still get them from the old copper brass stuff but not worth it. Ron Davis buys cores that come with either 2 rows of 1" or 1.25" or possible Visteon cores 1.5" B tube like C&R. Fluidyne are import cores close to the same thing. Honestly a 2 row 1.00" radiator has more cooling then any radiator that has ever come factory in the biggest motor car you can think of. The Nascar guys rarely put a 4 core radiator together and they run 200mph. If you need a radiator look around to see who has the cheapest universal fit 26" core. They are all pretty close to the same type of performance. They all fit because i see everyone useing ours in their setups and you can save alot as opposed to a drop in unit. The stocker fans would work fine if there is room (stay away from slim line fans (no grunt to pull through radiator intercooler and or condenser). Spal are awesome but they are proud of their product as far as price goes Maradyne are the same thing and are much less stay away from the Zirgo's and Fals. If you can just make sure you get a minmum 225 watt fans they start off in 12" configureation. Pusher fans arent the best for highway driving because they do block some of the in comming air and will have a little less life expectancy but; they will work if there is no room to do anything else.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:04 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

It was a figure of speach I guess I could have said get a x inches by x inches which I don't know off the top of my head so I used a generic term. I have cut up a lot of radiators (Collision repair) so I know that they are not the same old design in a lot of cases. That is your field of work so not trying to make it sound as if I know a fraction of what some one that does that type work for a living I was just making a educated suggestion based on past experiences with high hp cars etc... Now that I have said that I made the suggestion that the stock design would probably work if he didn't do any sustained high speed runs or autoX witch the turbo kit doesn't look like it was remotely designed for that type of racing etc...

Quick Reply: cooling system