LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

uh oh popping

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uh oh popping

So I was driving the bird today and it started to hesitate. not sure why, so i gassed it a little and heard a pop from the engine, it started running fine a little bit later then hesitate again, i give it gas and a pop. after the second one it ran way better the rest of the day, well for the next hour or so that i drove it. I know my right o2 sensor is going out, could it be that? what do you guys think, and it didnt really sound like exhaust pop. just like something almost where my cai is.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:25 AM
TECH Resident

ttt...
Old 03-12-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

seriously no one?
Old 03-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

optispark
Old 03-12-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

How do you know your right O2 is going out?

Also does it do that under part throttle but not wot? if yes then I would say the o2 might be a possibility.

If it does it under all throttle conditions, then it could be any number of things, possibly ignition (opti, coil, plugs, etc.).
Old 03-12-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

opti and the rest of the ignition are new. the left o2 just went out so I figured the right was gonna go right with it. I changed it today, and it ran pretty smooth, not sure if it is fixed or not, i'll keep you guys posted
Old 03-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

After I replaced my headgaskets, I pluged in my car and it said both O2s were bad, but later I discovered that when I took my heads off, I had dumped anifreeze all over my brand new opti. That made the car misfire and it made the 02s read crazy. My car would backfire or shoot flames out the intake a lot when there was load on the engine ( flooring it in 4th gear @ 1500 rpm up a hill) But seeing as your car is an auto, really can't do that test...

Does the problem worsen when the car gets to operating temp? Has any liquid been near the opti? Are your wires on right, not crossed? Catalytic converter in good shape? Old fuel filter?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

it has only happened once, just like 3 days ago, and nothing since, it was just studdering and then if i stepped on it really fast it would pop. really wierd since it wasnt from the exhaust or didnt sound like it. I just replaced all the ignition, and i havent done any fluid changes since nor has it rained really hard either.

Quick Reply: uh oh popping