LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coolant Leak and Heating Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant Leak and Heating Question

While I'm cruising, the temperature gauge will stay around the second/quarter white mark. When I stop, the gauge will slowly go up to the last white line but then back down just as slowly to a little above the third/halfway white mark.

I do have a coolant leak in either the tank or the radiator core. So, of course, there's not a sufficient amount of coolant in the system because of this leak. Is that making the gauge move up and down?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shackleford
While I'm cruising, the temperature gauge will stay around the second/quarter white mark. When I stop, the gauge will slowly go up to the last white line but then back down just as slowly to a little above the third/halfway white mark.

I do have a coolant leak in either the tank or the radiator core. So, of course, there's not a sufficient amount of coolant in the system because of this leak. Is that making the gauge move up and down?
I have the same prob, I just replaced the radiator but Lost the bleeeder screw at the VERY END (so pissed) and temp is still going up. Soon as I get the bleeder screw hopefully it'll be running normal. If not then I think it's a thermostat which should be an easy fix.

Please someone chime in
Old 03-11-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackBirdWs6Zzz
I have the same prob, I just replaced the radiator but Lost the bleeeder screw at the VERY END (so pissed) and temp is still going up. Soon as I get the bleeder screw hopefully it'll be running normal. If not then I think it's a thermostat which should be an easy fix.

Please someone chime in
Yeah, I'm hoping it's my problem, too. The tanks, thermostat, waterpump, and several hoses are new.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

U may have a few air pockets in the system casuing the temp to go up and down. I know that i have had this issue in the past after putting the car back together. Once u fix the leak, and refill/bleed the system shoudl be fine.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm hoping it's my problem, too. The tanks, thermostat, waterpump, and several hoses are new.
Yeah well try bleeding the system to see if you have air bubbles. I don't know where im going to find a bleeder screw. I think i'm going to have to buy the whole thermostat housing (stock) All the aftermarket ones don't have the bleeder screw. (stupid) I'll check back in tommorow or monday if i get things running smoothly..
Old 03-11-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah well try bleeding the system to see if you have air bubbles. I don't know where im going to find a bleeder screw. I think i'm going to have to buy the whole thermostat housing (stock) All the aftermarket ones don't have the bleeder screw. (stupid) I'll check back in tommorow or monday if i get things running smoothly..
Yeah, I'm going to worry about that after I replace the core or whatever needs to be done. It's a pretty substantial leak.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My heating problem is quite deferent, it started yesterday.

everything was normal and i was driving the car all day long, suddenly the temp went up like crazy.
so i went to the garage to find out the my car has no coolant which was quite weird, how ever, there was a Hypertech thermostat collecting dust for quite sometime so I installed it, filled the radiator with coolant again and drove the car back home with no heat at all. i started the car only 30 min later and the temp rose to the red mark again, but there was no leak any where.

it happened today again, so I'm installing a new radiator tomorrow and I'm taking the motor out to change the head gasket and might install a hot cam while in the process.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like a few people are having this problem.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you bleed the system?

Originally Posted by LT1BRN

everything was normal and i was driving the car all day long, suddenly the temp went up like crazy.
so i went to the garage to find out the my car has no coolant which was quite weird, how ever, there was a Hypertech thermostat collecting dust for quite sometime so I installed it, filled the radiator with coolant again and drove the car back home with no heat at all. i started the car only 30 min later and the temp rose to the red mark again, but there was no leak any where.

it happened today again, so I'm installing a new radiator tomorrow and I'm taking the motor out to change the head gasket and might install a hot cam while in the process.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you bleed the system?

Yes i did but it didn't work, I'll be leaving work now and will go to the garage.
My Radiator will be changed and the Block will be flushed, if it makes no deference ill take the motor out and change the gasket.

I think ill take the motor out any way, the car has alot of mileage and it over heated more than two times now, i think the old gasket gave up.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

oh ok i see. I Just got my bleeder screw and put some more coolant in it....the only thing is i have to get the air out........it sits around 210 and if i drive it , it won't go up but if i laeve it sitting it stil rises. I have to wait for it to cool now to try to get more air out. Hopefully that works. I just replaced my radiator cuz there was a crack and it was leaking.....so hopefully all is well now.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1BRN

Mine did this, turned out to be a blown head gasket between #4-6 cylinders. I didnt have to pull the motor out to fix it. You can change the cam with the engine still in the car if dont right.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

I just had to replace my head gasket and water pump. My pump decided to go out on me and the gasket was blown. but it is ok I had then engine overhauled and had some head work done so all in all I spent a lil money but I am getting my baby back better than before!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the same thing is happening to my car. When it sits it gets really hot but if i drive the temp goes back to normal (mostly on the freeway) I checked my fan fuse to see if it was just not going on...and i cna't tell cuz it's a BIG black fuse (cant see amything) How can i tell if it's blown?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carzman5678
Mine did this, turned out to be a blown head gasket between #4-6 cylinders. I didnt have to pull the motor out to fix it. You can change the cam with the engine still in the car if dont right.

I'm pulling out the motor becuase it will be overhauled, I will port the head and intake.

I got My Hooker LT's, BBK 58mm TB, and the Hot cam today. Tomorrow I'll get the CAI and I will start working on Custom Ram air Duckts.
Ill get the ORY and Cat bakc Custom made here In bahrain.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Damn. I cannot ascertain where the coolant leak is originating. I pulled one of the fans back a little bit but couldn't see any problems in the core and the part of the tank that I could see.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn. I cannot ascertain where the coolant leak is originating. I pulled one of the fans back a little bit but couldn't see any problems in the core and the part of the tank that I could see.
Do this..........start the car and let it sit, it will get hot, cut the engine out before it gets in the red zone and watch the engine for leaking........cuz of the pressure it will push it out whereever it's coming from.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Do this..........start the car and let it sit, it will get hot, cut the engine out before it gets in the red zone and watch the engine for leaking........cuz of the pressure it will push it out whereever it's coming from.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Or do whatever you want. Thats how i just happened to find mine. I shut it off and i heard squirting so i looked and i saw where it was shooting from. Oh well
Old 03-13-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I've done that, but I can't easily SEE from where it's coming. If I could, I would've found it already. I've already fixed a few other leaks by inspection. The only thing I see is the buildup of fluid at the very bottom of the car where the radiator is.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak and Heating Question