Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 is Broken - I've got a couple of questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy T56 is Broken - I've got a couple of questions..

Yesterday I think I broke or really messed up something inside the transmission on my '00 ws6.

Skip to the end for the important stuff...

Here's how it went down:

Cruising in 6th gear on the interstate (about 65 mph), I dropped put it in 4th gear and accelerated to about 75 and held 75 mph for about 10 seconds or so. When I tried to take it out of 4th, it wouldn't go. I let the clutch in and out a couple times (matching revs) and still it wouldn't come out. By this time I was slowing down to about 55 or so... I then bumped it with my palm kind of hard - not too hard on it though. It came out of 4th then...

I was almost at my destination, so I limped her there, and parked for 4 hours. When I left, it worked fine - except for one thing. Now the **** pops out of 3rd gear and sometimes sticks in 4th a little.

The transmission is NOT staying in 3rd for anything. It just won't go. The car makes about 420 rwhp. Don't know if that matters...

Questions are:

*What most likely happened or is broken?
*Where/who are some good shops or places or people to contact about fixing this? (I will probably take the trans out myself, which brings me to Q. # 2.)
*Where's a site that tells how to drop the t56?
*Are there some good reputable places to contact about more beefed t56's? I already checked out t56rebuilds.com and finishline transmissions.

I'm kinda pissed, but it's to be expected i guess. 55,000 miles and all of them involved abuse.
-Robert
Old 03-12-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

2000 tranny? they had a recall on the shift fork on that year, if its popping out of third, then you need the updated shift fork, unfortunately you mine as get a rebuild as they will have to crack the tranny open anyways. I have a 2000 also and i hope i dont get that problem!
Old 03-12-2006, 12:45 PM
wrencher

You need to rebuild the trans. Sounds like a slider key broke as well. Comon problem, might want to get billet keys for the rebuild.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies so far guys..

What could have caused this? I was just minding my own, driving down the interstate. No more 3rd gear?!
Old 03-12-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just got mine rebuilt at t56rebuilds by joe. i highly recommend it fair prices, good turnaround time, and joe is a great guy. give him a call
Old 03-13-2006, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys.. I'm starting to think that this might be something I can tackle myself. I'd like to find a place that can ship me the parts that I may need - or parts that will be good to replace "just in case."

I need to find out how to drop the transmission - any input on that? I might just start unbolting things and see how it goes.

I'd like to do this right - the rebuild, that is.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert P
I need to find out how to drop the transmission - any input on that?
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ch_install.htm
Old 03-13-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used the above link for mine. Mine locked up in neutral after powershifting it at the track. Out of place slider key that freed up after taking it apart. I threw in a steel 3-4 shift fork. Upgrade everything you can while it's apart. I got parts thru D@D but go thru T56rebuilds if he has the parts as he's a sponsor here. I hope you have some mechanical experience under your belt as it's pretty tedious work your first time. I had my Father help me and he's has been building SBC's his whole life and it taxed both of us.

Tips........ Label everything!!!!!!!! Keep everything in order!!!!!!!! These two are the biggest! Take digital pics at every step to help reference when putting back together. Need good snap ring pliers both types available. Two snap rings require replacement when the trans is apart and they are outlined in the T56 FSM you can download at Tremec.com, LS2.com has a pretty good writeup with pics of the T56 for help. It's a pretty tough job your first time and I would not want to do mine again although you learn it pretty good.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know I posted up about my rebuild with pics. Try running a search, otherwise PM me and I can send you pics of what you need to get. As mentioned above, good snap ring pliers, a press and a seriously long gear puller.

You can dowload the manual, run a search.

Not really hard, just need to keep track of all the parts.......there is LOTS of them.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Ryan..

I ordered a kit from Joe at t56rebuilds. Hopefully it comes with the new snap rings (cause it cost me $660).

I'm going to get the trans out of the car today hopefully...
-Robert
Old 03-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sscam68
good snap ring pliers, a press and a seriously long gear puller.

I need a press and gear puller? Crap.. what have i gotten myself into?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Launching!

I had the same problem but i lost gears 1,2,3,4, and revers and i had to have the scro replaced and the shift forks good thing the car was still uder warntey
Old 03-13-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert P
I need a press and gear puller? Crap.. what have i gotten myself into?
just a press is needed. I'm now to the point of doing one start to finish in a night
Old 03-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Teching In

good luck. i just rebuilt mine with heavy duty parts from joe. turned out perfect. it only took me a few hours this was my first t56 re-build but i have built many automatic's. i re-used all of my snap rings. look around the board someone on here made a homemade gear puller that worked instead of using a press or it may have been ls2.com. i would also invest in a good set of snap ring pliers and picks. some of those snap rings are mother to get off. if u have any questions i access to all the factory gm stuff.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Ya i reused all my snap rings too, i did a synchro rebuild, keys, 3/4 shift fork and 2nd gear. I used a homemade gear puller, made it from the write up on ls2.com. i didnt have a press I did mine a kind of shitty way a couple hammers and i was able to pull some things back on. so far its doin good with about 5k miles on it. I didn't do any bearing since my trans only had 50k on it. It was my first T56 rebuild wasn't that hard, just keep everything in order and you'll be fine.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

whew! thanks for the helpful words guys.

Quick Reply: T56 is Broken - I've got a couple of questions..