LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

K member

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K member

I want a Tubular K member for my 93Z but i went onto the BMR site and it does not work with shortie headers from what they say. I really dont feel like changing out the exuast right now but im considering it. If i can get a k member that is the same weight that will work with BMRs front and lower A Arms that would be great. That of course works with shorties and long tubes aswell. IF anything ill just have to get some long tubes but i would rather get a k member that allows me to use both thats tubular for now. I dont want to get another k member though if its heavier, no point in going to the tubular one if i do that. I know PA racing has one, anyone use this one or BMRs yet??
Old 03-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Teching In

anyone??
Old 03-15-2006, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93LT1
I want a Tubular K member for my 93Z but i went onto the BMR site and it does not work with shortie headers from what they say. I really dont feel like changing out the exuast right now but im considering it. If i can get a k member that is the same weight that will work with BMRs front and lower A Arms that would be great. That of course works with shorties and long tubes aswell. IF anything ill just have to get some long tubes but i would rather get a k member that allows me to use both thats tubular for now. I dont want to get another k member though if its heavier, no point in going to the tubular one if i do that. I know PA racing has one, anyone use this one or BMRs yet??
BMR Kmember going in the new build of mine in a couple weeks, but this is with Kooks LTs. IMO if your going through all the expense and effort of doing a Kmember then your obviously working towards max-efforting your car, so why not do some good longtubes, makes perfect sense! I am still kicking around upper and lower A-arms, the weight savings for these isn't all that much and the poly bushings make these fbodies feel quirky (poly bushings are very responsive) on the street compared to the OEM rubber bushings, might take some getting used to. Get some Longtubes!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 93z with the PA chromoly k-member. I also have edelbrock shorties w/ y-pipe. No interference issues. I gained alot of access for headers and to the engine period over the factory k-member. One thing I did not like is there was no place to mount the brake line brackets on either side. (where it goes from hard line to line for the caliper). Other than that, I am glad I put one of these in. I got mine on sale from Thunder Racing for $375 (chromoly). Oh yeah, it is definitely lighter than the stock unit.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rkinney
Oh yeah, it is definitely lighter than the stock unit.
Waiting on my BMR Kmember to get in, stockers are supposedly 54 lbs compared to 24 lbs with both motor mounts, that's pretty impressive, needless to say access to everything will be much easier. Still debating upper and lower A-arms, not sure if the weight savings is all that great on the As but damn I like the way they look installed...with the QA1s, 150 lb dragsprings, new brake setup, sheesh!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Well from what i just heard it sounds like im going to go with BMR. I would love the PA one but i dont really think i want to figure out how to mount the brake lines on it. BMR claimed that theres is great for the brakes. I do need long tubes anyways, in 6 months or so im planning a crazy 396 build that will be an insane monster over 500 hp na hopefully. So im going to need the exaust system. Do you have a part number for the kooks 1 7/8 headers? I would love to get em installed asap. Also, what kind of exaust do you run after these...it doesnt look like duel exaust will run very well under one of these cars without hitting the ground first. Any ideas?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Teching In

I allready did the strange front and rear drag brakes setup. I have also done the starange 12 bolt spool rear end aswell. I am going to install the Upper and lower A arms as soon as i get my K member, i got em from BMR aswell. I have felt both and the A arms dont really feel a whole lot lighter. But never the less they are. I would say about 4 lbs per A arm for the bottoms. the tops maybe 1 lb and a half. They definitly look alot nicer, and mine were rather bent anyways. I would say if your building a drag car kind of like im doing there well worth it, if not i would stay with the regual ones. But then again i say that and my car will still be a street car so lol. My idea of weight is that every bit counts so may as well.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93LT1
I do need long tubes anyways, in 6 months or so im planning a crazy 396 build that will be an insane monster over 500 hp na hopefully. So im going to need the exaust system. Do you have a part number for the kooks 1 7/8 headers? I would love to get em installed asap. Also, what kind of exaust do you run after these...it doesnt look like duel exaust will run very well under one of these cars without hitting the ground first. Any ideas?
a) good luck on getting to 500, not easy and not cheap!
b) (what I'm using on my 396 build in the shop) KOOKS pn# 6400-1RHS 1 3/4" x 1 7/8" x 3" - Stainless

http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/pr...i%20Collectors
c) I'm going with a KOOKS ORY bolted up to my Borla, then having dual custom 3" cutouts installed after the LT collectors