Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no 2-3 shift at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no 2-3 shift at WOT

First off. I have no 3rd at WOT, it just bangs limiter...I tried doin a search, but search is still weird. Car shifts fine other than at WOT. Is this a solenoid problem?? If so, could I just change the solenoid? Anyone got a write up or info? ANY help would be appreciated...let me know guys. Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing just happened to me. I heard it was the solenoids, but then my whole tranny went out. This would involve a rebuild and a reputable tranny shop to look at it. But be aware with a rebuild it will more than likely break again, no matter who you use. Think about a T350 or T400, and that will more than likely be the last time you need to worry about a tranny.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

Same thing was happing to me and im having to send my converter back so i have no clue what going on...
Old 03-18-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

the reason why it won't shift at wot is it has full line pressure instead of throttle pressure getting to the clutch packs. on a 700r4 the tv limit valve would be the culprit. I wish I had a hydrolic schematic for the 4l60e available then I would be able to give you the name of the valve. either way its more than likely a valve in the valve body stuck. if a solenoid was the problem you'd have a code. the only solenoid that would be involved would be the pressure control solenoid. if you have no code for it then leave it alone and put in a new valve body.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cody Brooks
the reason why it won't shift at wot is it has full line pressure instead of throttle pressure getting to the clutch packs. .

sorry the clutch pack are suppose to get line pressure. however there is a valve that has what would be called tv pressure on one end and gov. pressure on either end of it in an older transmission. tv pressure is suppose to be equal to % of throttle opening and in a 700r4 the tv limit valve helps make sure of that tv pressure does not exceed 100psi at wot. that valve is not needed any time except wot. Gov. pressure is equal to vehicle speed. if you have 100psi on one side and a 50lbs spring on the other side then it takes 50 lbs of gov. pressure to start to move the valve. but should the tv limit valve stick then you have 200-300 psi against the gov. pressure. causing no wot shifts unless you are going say 200 mph or more. now to convert that to the new modern 60e. you have a pc solenoid that does the job of the tv system keeping throttle pressure equal to throttle opening. however the valve that took the tv limits place is sticking causing too much pressure to another valve which prevents wot shifts into that gear. it would be easier explain had i a hydraulic schematic.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:36 AM
Launching!

I have thrown a code before. I tried to do a search and it was said to just disable this...here was the code.

P0751 - 1-2 Shift Solenoid Valve Performance - No First or Fourth Gear (SES) (OLD) (History) (Current) (Immature)

I have a big stall and it was said to disable b/c the stall causes this code? That has been the only code thrown. With that said...now what??
Old 03-19-2006, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

My car is also doing the exact same thing. My car is stock though. I would like to know if this an easy fix.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TRU-2GM
I have thrown a code before. I tried to do a search and it was said to just disable this...here was the code.

P0751 - 1-2 Shift Solenoid Valve Performance - No First or Fourth Gear (SES) (OLD) (History) (Current) (Immature)

I have a big stall and it was said to disable b/c the stall causes this code? That has been the only code thrown. With that said...now what??
1-2 shift solenoid has nothing to do with your current problem as the 1-2 shift solenoid is off in both 2nd and 3rd gears, so it defaults to 2nd and 3rd when there is a problem with the 1-2 shift solenoid.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SloLS1
My car is also doing the exact same thing. My car is stock though. I would like to know if this an easy fix.
no WOT shift. replacing the valve body should fix it.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

Is a stock valve body suffice, or is there an alternative. I just dropped my car off at the shop today to get the converter put in. Would it be safe to drive around like this, as long as don't romp on it? Where is a good place to get the VB?
Old 03-19-2006, 02:48 AM
TECH Resident

no WOT shift. replacing the valve body should fix it.
It didn't fix mine, that's what we tried first. It ended up needing a full rebuild. Hopefully it's just a valve body for the OP, but I wouldn't count on it.

First it started tapping the limiter on the wot 2-3, then eventually it wouldn't hit 3rd at all, then a few days later it was like driving around with a 6k rpm convertor at part throttle.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by flyin red TA
It didn't fix mine, that's what we tried first. It ended up needing a full rebuild. Hopefully it's just a valve body for the OP, but I wouldn't count on it.

First it started tapping the limiter on the wot 2-3, then eventually it wouldn't hit 3rd at all, then a few days later it was like driving around with a 6k rpm convertor at part throttle.
When you were having this problem, how was it acting during normal driving? The car shifts perfect around town, but when I get on it is when it gives me problems. Also it does not do it everytime. Its been doing this since August, and it hasn't gotten worse. It is annoying as hell though.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:59 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1-2 shift solenoid has nothing to do with your current problem as the 1-2 shift solenoid is off in both 2nd and 3rd gears, so it defaults to 2nd and 3rd when there is a problem with the 1-2 shift solenoid.
I have seen solenoids flood under full line pressure. Could be causing a problem but with codes for the 1-2 no way I agree. Your problem is a wore out trans or tuning/tps/ maf/.......good luck.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by da wrench
I have seen solenoids flood under full line pressure. Could be causing a problem but with codes for the 1-2 no way I agree. Your problem is a wore out trans or tuning/tps/ maf/.......good luck.
how did they get full line pressure? all solenoids have a knockdown oriface on the line pressure side to keep that from happening. did those orifices get worn out too much in order to allow that to happen?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by flyin red TA
what all did you replace with the valve body? any gaskets or the spacer plate?

if you have the time to do so I would recommend pulling the valve body and checking to see if there the valve I'm refering to is sticking. the problem could be other problems in the hydraulic circuit without the hydraulic schematic for 3rd gear I can't say what all the possibilities are. It could be a valve, an orifice, or something else. if I can get a hydraulic schematic I can make a list of about 5 things and 1 of those 5 will shurely fix it.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Launching!

anyway I can start diagnosing the problem more on my car??
Old 04-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Launching!

I have the exact same problem and I am sick of it. Ok here's the history. Tranny was shifting fine on all bolt on only. 3500ssf with 4.56 gears. I know I know. But after cam install I would hit the revlimiter on both 1-2 and 2-3 was extremely annoying. so I sarted to work with it manually. I went from 26 talls to 28 talls and started shifting manually but very weird like. to shift from 1-2 I would move the lever from 1-3 bypassing 2 and it would shift fine. from 2-3 i would move the lever from 3-4 and it would shift fine. 4th would go in fine too. and I made it work. Lately I have been trying Nos and now I can't shift into 3rd at all unless I completely let go. this is shifting manually. the other weird thing that is going on is that If I leave it on overdrive and go from there It will upshift from 1-3 automatically. I have no idea what is going on but I am looking into either 700R4 with tranny brake or Th350. but I have no money left. I have also been looking into putting a manual non-electronic valve body on it but don't know if its possible. I saw tci carries a trans scat but don't know if that's what I need
Old 04-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Launching!

So if am learning correctly then a car does not shift because it does not have equal pressure on both sides. that being said a car would not have the necessary speed to % Throttle. But what has me baffled is the use of Nos on my car which means more speed would only make the equation better. So I guess it is something to do with a something sticking. Am I correct. another question i have is using a programmer increasing and decreasing base pressure would do what on what side.

My tranny has been repaired twice. 1 for a no 2nd gear being completely gone. and another for burnt out TC and complete striping of the 4 pinion gears. Since then I have had no other problems. but what I don't undestand is that without Nos all motor and shifting weird like I said i was on the previous post, it works fine.

Last edited by shaulinmathvader; 04-16-2006 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: no 2-3 shift at WOT