Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

side mirror turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default side mirror turn signals

did a search but didnt really see anything did anyone ever try this.
it thaught about it on my firebird but didnt really know how to pull it off dont know how comfortable i feel about drilling through a mirror. thaught maybe i could take the mirrors (just the glass part) off of a silverado or someting and have it trimmied down to fit in place of the ones on my car and wire it up or maybe jsut put leds behind the mirror housing so it lights up around the mirror when i turn. maybe its a stupid idea but i thaught it would be nice

you guys seen it or have any suggestions
Old 03-19-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it was Speed Inc>>> who use to install leds in the turn signals.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

really
Old 03-19-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/418227-led-turn-signals-side-mirrors.html
Old 03-19-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

sweet thanks i wonder why that didnt come up on my search. oh well i have some things to think about.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Another picture of mine when finished

Oh and another video is at http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...11651901412112
Old 03-19-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

sweet i read the write up you did but am a little confused you said the reflective part is on the outside and you used a dremel bit to get through it????
Old 03-19-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
sweet i read the write up you did but am a little confused you said the reflective part is on the outside and you used a dremel bit to get through it????
Yes, the reflective part of our mirrors is actually on the outside of the glass, not the backside like most mirrors. The second time I did this (and they came out better then), I used a silicon carbide dremel bit.

You can get it for like $4 at Home Depot.

I marked off where I needed holes and went straight down onto the mirror, moved a very slight bit in a circle (you only need a tiny hole), and then came up. It worked really well and came out much better than the first time.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

so are you going through the glass or just sanding off the reflective part
part
Old 03-19-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats awesome, id like to do that someday but with red or white leds
Old 03-19-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

I just went through the silvering which only takes a second. Not through the glass itself. Trying to drill a hole through the glass = really bad idea. Trust me, I tried
Old 03-20-2006, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

I like it! Much better than the sticky LED arrows that the guy sells on fleaBay.

I didn't see the writeup on how to do this in the referenced thread though? Is it located elswhere?

-Jay-
Old 03-20-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evil...can the mirrors be removed from their housing.. for running wires etc..or do yiu just have to "Fenagle" the wires behind teh units abd thru the door etc..
Old 03-20-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
I like it! Much better than the sticky LED arrows that the guy sells on fleaBay.

I didn't see the writeup on how to do this in the referenced thread though? Is it located elswhere?

-Jay-
I never got around to doing the writeup. I had taken pictures on the second mirror I did so I could, but I ended up deleting them

Originally Posted by BitViper
Evil...can the mirrors be removed from their housing.. for running wires etc..or do yiu just have to "Fenagle" the wires behind teh units abd thru the door etc..
I removed my mirror glass from the housing and did it. Would have been pretty impossible to do with the glass in there. Then I just ran the wires through the holes in mirrors (where the power mirror wires run through), and down into the door. Next I ran it through the rubber tubing which goes from the door->inside of the car, to do that I taped the end of the wire to the end of a big (1/4th inch wide, thin) wire tie. Then I pushed that through... from there to the drivers side foot area where they are wired into.

It wasnt a really complex process at all.

To be honest guys I wouldnt mind doing it at all for anyone if I was sent the mirrors, but I'd be scared shitless that I'd break the glass or not have it look perfect and I dont want to disappoint people. If someone wants the led strip I could make and send that for a few $$.

I wish I had the ***** to say "send me your mirrors and I'll do it!", just too scared of disappointing someone/breaking one
Old 03-20-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

I'd be more than happy to pay you to make up the LED strips - if you could make them up to be like a full arrow - by that I mean yours have the top half of the arrow - but not the bottom. I would like it to be the full arrow.

If you could do that and include instructions on how to do the rest of the job such as the glass prep, attachment of LED strip to mirror, etc. I'd definitely order a set from you right now...

Let me know by PM

-Jay-
Old 03-20-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess Ill have to take my mirror assembly off and check to see how the galss is atttached..screws or a bolt no doubt?
I wish I had the ***** to say "send me your mirrors and I'll do it!", just too scared of disappointing someone/breaking one
Question: After youve scored away the silver and when the liggns are NOT being used can you see teh little black dots?

Tat might be the ONLY good thing about the paste ones...maybe not!..Their kinda Fugly!

Yeah..thats always the case...just charge enough to replace the occasional mirror ..that way you've CYA'ed
Old 03-20-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BitViper
I guess Ill have to take my mirror assembly off and check to see how the galss is atttached..screws or a bolt no doubt?

Question: After youve scored away the silver and when the liggns are NOT being used can you see teh little black dots?

Tat might be the ONLY good thing about the paste ones...maybe not!..Their kinda Fugly!

Yeah..thats always the case...just charge enough to replace the occasional mirror ..that way you've CYA'ed
The glass is attached via 2 plastic threaded bolts and a + shaped pivot point. Basically you can just pull out the mirror and it will pop out, it will sound bad because the little plastic bolts will be getting pulled out against the threads, but it wont hurt it I don't think. I've done it to mine probably 40 times for various reasons and the threads are still fine. It IS kinda hard getting the + pivot point to snap back in, you just have to put a lot of pressure on the center of the mirror and you will hear it pop back in the slots. the - bar of the + connect snaps into either the glass or the back, and the | snaps into the other part.

yes, you do see the little dots when they are not in use. They are pretty small though. I could be wrong but I think you see the dots on all kinds of vehicles with the LEDs in the mirror, don't you?

And hey, if someone wants to send me $$ and their mirror I will try it I guess, just so long as I have enough money to cover replacing one of their broken ones. I can see that ending badly though if someone gets pissed because it takes 2-3 weeks to send their product back.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

I'll go the mod myself as long as I can get the LED's/board/wiring/instructions from you (save ya the worries of damaging my mirror) - got your PM - look forward to hearing from you...

-Jay-
Old 03-20-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

I just wanna know, how did you secure the circuit board inside of the mirror housing? Are the LEDs glued to the backside of the mirror? Otherwise great job!
Old 03-20-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kraaazymike
I just wanna know, how did you secure the circuit board inside of the mirror housing? Are the LEDs glued to the backside of the mirror? Otherwise great job!
Yes, it is glued. Basically the mirror is attached to a thin black plastic holder which is then attached to the internals of the mirror. You have to take a drill bit and drill through the black plastic, then put the led strip against that, and glue it in. Scuffed up the plastic with some 400 grit sanding paper, and then loaded it up with hot glue. If you do that, trust me, it isn't coming off easy. That **** sticks like superglue to rough plastic/smooth LEDS/breadboard.

Quick Reply: side mirror turn signals