Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who makes a good shifter for an A4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who makes a good shifter for an A4

I'm sick of my OEM shifter (see sig. below for yr. etc....)
Who makes a good one that I can put on w/o having to redo my entire system?
A cool **** would be nice too....Since I'm asking
Old 03-23-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Most people would recomend the pro 5.0 or the ripper shifter.
Personally I would just get a short stick to start with, (ws6 store or lous etc.) alot cheaper and can definetly feel a difference.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Most people would recomend the pro 5.0 or the ripper shifter.
Personally I would just get a short stick to start with, (ws6 store or lous etc.) alot cheaper and can definetly feel a difference.
I'd love to get a Pro 5.0, but I have an A4, and I don't think they make one for A4's
Old 03-23-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what about the shifter dont you like? Theres not much you can do unless you get like a race one, i mean the kind you see on built racecars, all metal etc. You could change the head to one off of a Firebird if you just dont like the camaro one, other than that MBA offers some shift *****.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I tried buying one from the local parts superstore, but it wouldn't work with the park/lock button function
Old 03-23-2006, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which one didnt work?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kanewolf
I'd love to get a Pro 5.0, but I have an A4, and I don't think they make one for A4's
DOH!
I didnt see that you had an A4, sry.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:07 AM
Board Certified Idiot

You can also RIpp out that Plastic JUNK. under the shifter. replace it with somthing that looks like a M6 the Leather. seen it plenty of times looks good also. some 1 just postd New pics of theirs 2days ago on here. see if you can fine it
Old 03-24-2006, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a trans am shifter on my camaro and i like it much better than the stock one. The trans am one is leather so it feels good on the hand lol.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

i am machining an all aluminum one, with a button assembly and everything. Should look a lot like a quarter stick with the hurst button (black ball red button) Will give the car more of a race feel, but damn that shifter will be cold in the winter... lol Ill put up pics when its done...
Old 03-24-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by natronathon
i am machining an all aluminum one, with a button assembly and everything. Should look a lot like a quarter stick with the hurst button (black ball red button) Will give the car more of a race feel, but damn that shifter will be cold in the winter... lol Ill put up pics when its done...
And super hot in the summer(keep a rag handy!). I used to have a B&M Megashifter on my 3rd gen, it made having an automatic alot more fun, it's too bad they don't have anything like that for the Camaro, and that GM didn't have some sort of manumatic function incorporated into the A4's.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z2K_MrJ
You can also RIpp out that Plastic JUNK. under the shifter. replace it with somthing that looks like a M6 the Leather. seen it plenty of times looks good also. some 1 just postd New pics of theirs 2days ago on here. see if you can fine it
no offense...but kids with automatic civics do that...be proud of an a4. in all reality, i think youd be better just leaving it the way it is.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Swang
no offense...but kids with automatic civics do that...be proud of an a4. in all reality, i think youd be better just leaving it the way it is.
Huh?
A leather shift boot looks much better than cheap plastic sliders and it doesnt rattle (yes, many on here complain of their sliders rattling). I have an A4 and fully admit to it. I'm not pretending its an M6 in any way. Whats the point? The leather shift boot is purely cosmetic.

Here is my write-up for those interested:
http://www.fadingarrow.com/ShiftBoot.htm
Old 03-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yeah, the rattles are justification enough for the leather boot swap ... they'll make you insane. Mine doesn't do it for months at a time ... then it just started again the other day. I think it might be worse when it's cold.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Teching In

WOW!!!
I think I opened up a can of worms here!

I am proud of my A4, most racers agree its better on the track. When I bought my Cammy, I drove 100 miles a day in SOCAL traffic, so an A4 was the obvious choice. However, now that I am in CO, I baby my ride more than I drive it (not from lack of love, but because of the weather).
So it is only natural that I want an upgrade on the shifter. I chrome painted it, but the paint rubs off after a few months. I really want a Hurst looking (true chrome or metal finish). Sure, its purely a matter of asthetics, but hey, thats part and parcel of what we do as car lovers. The factory A4 shifter just doesn't have that look that I want. So even just a nice looking **** that works w/ the brake/lock would be nice. With the HypertechIII programmer, I was able to firm up the shifts, which makes a big difference, so I guess I just want to know if any manuf. makes a cool looking A4 handle/**** that gives my interior the complete look.
P.S. I also like the feel of a side button shifter since I use the gears rather than putting it in D and going. The only time I ever use O/D is to get into 4th gear (which is rare after I got a ticket for going over a 100)
Old 03-30-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
And super hot in the summer(keep a rag handy!). I used to have a B&M Megashifter on my 3rd gen, it made having an automatic alot more fun, it's too bad they don't have anything like that for the Camaro, and that GM didn't have some sort of manumatic function incorporated into the A4's.
not too worried about it in the summer, Aluminum doesn't collect sun heat too bad. Ive been on all aluminum ladders all day long in July on my roof before... Might actually be cooler than the leather shifter... But i appreciate the heads up

Man, making a shift ****, is actually a LOT more complicated than i thought... Should look good though, gonna powerder coat the **** black, and then powder coat the button red, to make it look like a hurst shifter **** from back in the day!

Ill put up pics when it gets finished....