New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for when buying a new LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to look for when buying a new LS1?

Well i finally found a buyer for my LT1 kid and his dad came and checked it out today and should have the $ monday. Lucky kid, hes 17 and getting a dman nice car for that age. But anywho... Im looking at picking up a 99+ T/A or mayybe a formula. Im familiar with LT1's and cars in general but not so much the LS1's. So what are some of the common problems or things to look for. Nothing is too small. Should i be looking for certain RPO codes? Did you find anything wrong after you bought your LS1 you didnt see when looking it over?

I wanna buy a car that i will keep a while as im looking to soend quite a bit of $ modding it and wanan get exactly what i need from the beggining. dont want to have any regrets and i wanan take my time with this.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check the rear end for winning, check all the fluids, car fax report stay away from 98's if possible. look for something that has been kept indoors. I would only buy from a person rather than a dealer for these cars as the owner can tell you whats wrong with the car and its history. If you get any bad vibes like they are lying then they probably are.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

obviously try to find a stock one and preferably adult owned. Not one some kid has been raggin for several years. If you get a TA look for the headlight motor girnd and cracks in the door panels. All TAs do it os maybe you cna use that as a way to haggle a lil bit of a price drop.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evrae205
obviously try to find a stock one and preferably adult owned. Not one some kid has been raggin for several years. If you get a TA look for the headlight motor girnd and cracks in the door panels. All TAs do it os maybe you cna use that as a way to haggle a lil bit of a price drop.

Cracks in door panels??? Where exactly on the door panels? Never heard of that.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

Hell if I know...I have a 98 with 90k miles and I don't have any cracks in my door panels. There's nothing really specific to look for on an LS1, it's just like an LT1 or any other car. And there's also nothing wrong with a 98, as most of us said in your other topic.

The only thing I would look for is a car with the performance axle option. You can tell if it has it or not by looking at the gear selection # on the console. If the #1 is missing, no performance axle. This also means 2.73 gears and a steel driveshaft.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Avoid cars with any ticking noises. Check to make sure both windows go up at a relatively decent speed. Any discrepancy between the two will likely mean the slower on will need a window motor in the next 5000 miles at the most. But of course you should know that if you had an LT1 car.
I recommend the formula because of its lower weight. If you're going to mod the car this should be important to you. I've had a 87' firebird, an 89' Iroc 350, 95' Z28, and two '98 Formula's (one auto and the one below 6-speed), and the Bird below is by far my favorite. It has been lowered and has an aftermarket suspension but even my last Formula that was stock suspension handled better than my 95 Z. This Bird's manners are as neutral as anyone could want. It's so easy to turn with the accellerator instead of the wheel. Good Luck.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:37 AM
Teching In

What you need to do is go to Big Bill and get a good deal http://videos.streetfire.net/video/D...A7BDB2F257.htm

Sorry that it's offtopic it's just too funny for me to not post
Old 03-31-2006, 09:04 AM
7 Second Club

open the doors on both sides and see where the fiberglass skin was layed? if there is excess glue/bond (it will be painted same color as car) then you know it has been repaired... check for small things like that...

check the rear speaker plastic screw heads (on the passenger side in the hatch, a flat head screw driver will fit it) if they look like they are rounded off or scuffed that car probably had a rough life---- nitrous or many flat tires= burnouts...

just my things i check out....