Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hop

I was just wondering what exactly happens in the rear end when you get wheel hop? I was at the track with my buddy this past weekend and he got some bad wheel hop on take off, made it maybe a car length at most and he blew part of the rear cover out. He has an 03 or 04 cobra I cant remember which year, it's stock though. Does most of his wheel hop come from not having straight axles?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel hop is caused by suspension.... its pretty much the worst thing you can do to drivetrain... it would be like picking your car up at WOT and dropping it over and over again...
Old 04-03-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel hop can be caused by a number of things, but essentially something happens that causes one of the rear wheels to lift. The tire gets kicked up from the ground, and because it is at WOT, when it comes back down, slams like a nuetral drop and hops back up again. All of this happens so rapidly and with such force it ends up hopping the whole axle in cars like ours.

Some cars will do this on a really grippy launch surface. Our cars tend to be pretty well behaved in this respect unless you have something wrong like a bad shock or something goofy in the suspension.

The forces created by wheel hop can be easily 4-5x that of a normal WOT launch. It's akin to the difference of trying to drive a nail by pushing on it with a hammer, and then trying it swinging the hammer.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:20 PM
roy
TECH Resident

I would be checking my suspension geometry out if everything else is good.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

so in his rear end im guessing there are def some teeth sheered off if there is that much force and im guessing it also caused his whole case to flex making everything kinda bind up? is that correct?
Old 04-04-2006, 09:03 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Red_Dragon
so in his rear end im guessing there are def some teeth sheered off if there is that much force and im guessing it also caused his whole case to flex making everything kinda bind up? is that correct?
Yep , total carnage
Old 04-04-2006, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Bummer, really need to look at springs, shocks, control arms and torque arm if a stang has one.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Well the Cobra is notorious for wheel hop because of the independent rear suspension. Just tell him, he should have got an F-body. Solid axles are the way to go for drag racing.