Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt Ons on a 02 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt Ons on a 02 WS6

Hey, my g/f and i are thinking about modding her car, 2002 T/A WS6 Auto. now i am going to be first to say i have a 02 mustang gt, and before that i had a 1978 camaro which i rebuilt my self with my father.

Now the car is stock right now. it has just under 30Kmiles. she likes to stay with the same brand name for all parts on her car, i dont mind so much part brands as long as they are the best in what they do.

Now as for catback we both where thinking SLP Loudmouth I, then go ahead with the slp airlid. What do you guys think of this combo? also.... what gear ratio works the best with the auto T/As 4.10 or 3.73? i have 3.73s on my mustang, but it is a stick and the manuals have a little different gear ratio than the autos.

What modifications do you guy think would work the best. our goal is to get it to be in the 12 sec range (thats all she wants lol) on my mustang right now i am at 13.6 constant, but then again the T/A started off with a probably under rated 325hp vs my 260hp lol. My buddies 01 SS 6 speed he got his best time of 13.4 @ 106 completely stock.

So we are open to suggestions on any other mods,minus internals (for now).
Thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 04:43 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leave the t/a stck unless you want your g/f beating up on you, lol

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139142

search around, you will find your answers

a loudmouth might be to loud if you guys plan on headers and an off road y. a lid is a lid, slp lid is fine (im getting one)

if you want to listen to exhaust sounds and different setups so you guys can decide what she likes go to ls1sounds.com
Old 04-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Launching!

I have had good luck with SLP. Alot of people here will tell you they love it or hate it.
1. For gears I would not go any higher than 3.73 in a auto, for a manual 4.10.
2. Exhaust I know you want the same brand but for the price and what you get which
is stainless go with Magna Flow. I think it looks way better also.
3. Headers And Y-Pipe you can get the highflow cats if you want to stay
emisson legal. SLP. Dont let people talk you in to cheap crap remeber if its not
stainless then its crap
4. Air Lid SLP $100
5. Mass AIR Sensor (SLP) $150
That sould get you started good luck.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

if all you want is 12's and thats all you care about just get a 3800ish stall, trans cooler and good tires. if you want to sound good too go ahead and get loudmouth if you dont mind the rasp/loudness. thats all you will really need for 12's but ontop of that its just what you want. air lid will help some and also looks good under the hood
Old 04-04-2006, 05:20 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

dont get a mass air sensor of any type, stock is fine unless your making huge numbers, its been proven that they hurt more than they help.

the only slp products i would buy would be a lid and loudmouth, they have bad clearance with their headers, and their MAF sensor is crap i guess, and the smooth belows doesnt help with power for what it cost, (a lot of people get it for appearance)

stainless is the way to go if you got money (kooks, QTP), pacesetter are the best for the money, and ive never heard anything bad about jet hot or hooker
Old 04-04-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd start with a lid for about $100. Get her throttle body ported for another $75 Then I'd probably get a hooker cat back ($300) as it flows good and doesn't sound like crap if you ever do long tube headers. For less than $500 her car would be likely be knocking on the door of the 12s. You may also want to consider a smaller sized stall 3000-3400 and some drag radials and you could knock another half second off her quarter mile and probably be a good second (or more) ahead of your mustang in the 1/4 with a good driver.

Have fun and don't get too jealous of her car once it starts putting down good numbers!
Old 04-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Truth be told, there's MUCH better sounding exhaust out there than LM1, my friend. She sounds like a cool chick no less, so take her on a tour of www.ls1sounds.com and let her pick out what sound she likes with the mods she plans on doing. Remember, LTs, going catless, cam swap, head swap, all will change the exhaust note on your car, so if you plan on any of these, choose your exhaust system to match. Definitely go with a loose converter(3800 mentioned above will do nicely), 3.73s NO LOWER(or higher numerically). I'd also suggest you stay away from SLP LTs... they will scrape, and they're an arm and a leg to buy when there's more affordable ones out there that fit much better and offer the same performance gains. I know she's brand specific, but let her know these constants... a lid is a lid is a lid, no matter what name's on it, and LTs are LTs, no matter what name's on them. With these two in mind, you'll save money shopping for these two items, and what you save can be invested in other things, such as a U/D pulley, polyurethane motor/trans mounts, ported TB/MAF, and the inevitable PCM tuning you'll need once you're done with the modding.

Hang onto her, bub. She's a keeper.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JDP
dont get a mass air sensor of any type, stock is fine unless your making huge numbers, its been proven that they hurt more than they help.

the only slp products i would buy would be a lid and loudmouth, they have bad clearance with their headers, and their MAF sensor is crap i guess, and the smooth belows doesnt help with power for what it cost, (a lot of people get it for appearance)

stainless is the way to go if you got money (kooks, QTP), pacesetter are the best for the money, and ive never heard anything bad about jet hot or hooker
A mass air sensor is only crap if you port it and dont recalibrate it. So why would you not want a bigger mass air sensor that is calibrated. Stock 75mm flows (800cfm) SLP 85mm (895cfm). Please dont talk bad about something unless you tried it. Responding with "its crap I guess" does not sound reasuring. Who proved that it hurt more than it helps. Stop beliving everything you read and talk to some that has done it! I have heard of people not like it because of tuning issues, or having a faulty sensor. Me personally no tuning issues. I have had mine for 3 years never a problem. If I had to do it again I would. There is no way you are going to lose hp by switching mass air sensor. The gain maybe small, but it is still a gain. My car pulls 350hp 372 tq that was before the ported trottle body. I have not dynoed the car sense then because it is kinda worthless with that being my only new mod. I think those a good number considering the mods I have and yes that is with the mass air sensor. As far as long tubes SLP do hang lower than some. I have not hit anything with mine, but i also pay attention when I am driving. Lastly info on here is a hit and miss sometimes. Some people have done it and others think they know someone who has.

Last edited by WS6RED2002TA; 04-04-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

FWIW a set of DRs and a 2800 stall, and she'll be in the 12's.
You might not even need the stall, get some DRs, and go to the test and tune at your local track, and see what it runs.
Put a lid (I like the SLP lid, personal preferance only) than add a good flowing catback (SLP LM, or a hooker, or SLP dual dual, depends if you want loud or quiet)
Might want to venture down to the drag racing part of the forum and check in with the 12 sec section, and see what combo(s) work
IMO you don't need to replace the MAF, the stock flows enough for 500hp, so why spend the $$ on something you likely won't need to achieve you goal
Old 04-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Banned

I have 3 73s in my ws6 a4. Its a hard launch, Mine are made by Richmond and they whine.. I suggest a nice set of Auborns.. You can get them from a sponser im sure
Old 04-04-2006, 07:04 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

im just going by what almost everyone here says, if you know how to tune i guess its ok, but if you just throw it on it ***** up your air fuel ratio
Old 04-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Teching In

right now the car has goodyear F1s 275/40s. i havent ever ran those, but i have heard they are pretty good tires.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JDP
im just going by what almost everyone here says, if you know how to tune i guess its ok, but if you just throw it on it ***** up your air fuel ratio
When I installed the mass air meter no f@ck up a/f ratio. The car put 321 hp 347 tq. The car had all the mods listed minus long tubes, ory, and ported throttle body. Those tires come stock with the car. I can't stand goodyear tires. I would try bridgestone potenza, BFG KDW, or fuzion. Just my .02
Old 04-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Teching In

hrmm i have never seen a TA stock with these
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...71&rd=17&ar=40
Old 04-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by carguy1985
hrmm i have never seen a TA stock with these
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...71&rd=17&ar=40
You are correct about that link. But you wrote goodyear eagle f1's. I assumed gs not gs d3. Go to page three second tire that stock 252.00 and thats what i thought you were talking about. Next time state GS or GS D3 when you talk about the F1's.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Teching In

anything else anyone recommend. what is the stock dyno on a stock trans am
Old 04-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

300ish to wheels
Old 04-05-2006, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

I think youre friend in the 01 SS needs to practice and get a few tenths off his 1/4mile time lol

As for the T/A, a lid and full exhaust will get it good into the 12s.