Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stand alone vs racetronix

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stand alone vs racetronix

Ok guys im having touble making up my mind on this. I have a 2000 SS M6 with F14 , Fast 90/90, and supporting mods along with Dave's 90mm plate system. I want to run a 150 wet shot But i know i will at least need a racetronix kit, but then got to thinking that a stand a lone would be nice but its definitely a lot more expensive.

Would i be ok to get a racetronix kit (and save over $250) running 91-93 in my tank? Would that be safe with a 150 shot? What kind of timing would i have to run to be safe. I already have the tr6's and right now my timing is set around 25*

I would love to get a stand alone and run 107 octane but that is alot more money.

thanks,
trevor
Old 04-04-2006, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

racetronix is more than enough...
Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

I personaally would be running a 50/50 race gas mix of 93/100 octane in the main tank with a Racetronix intank. The Racetronix will be enough. However If you go with Dave stand alone...you can just keep some 100 in the front tank and it will be cheaper in the long run.

Either will do the job....but for safety sake I would add some race gas...especially at the track. Either in the tank with Racetronx or in the stand alone front mount.

You will be around 550-600 rwhp and pretty good bit of Tq.

I would pull a few degrees too if possible.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

Do both! I like the adjustablity of the stand alone and it got rid of the spikes. I also run the racetronics for safety sake of the engine.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

hmm i would love to do both. How long would a tank of 100+ octane last on a 150 shot, a full stand alone tank that is? also i probably will not go to the track a whole lot, its more of a weekend warrior/street car with some bad @$$ goodies on it. I havent ever sprayed a car so i dont know how addicted i will get and how much i will do it. Would it even be safe to just run 93 octane?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Hmmm,, the intank pump is cheaper. Did that cheaper price include the labor to do the job also? The intank pumps I think are great if your engine already is taxing the stock pump. On our test mule we put down over 600hp on the stock pump. Now I know this is the exception not the rule.
To put high octance fuel into a stock tank is fine and works nicely but it does not always work out. Lets say you have 1/2 of a tank, a couple of gallons of race gas will not do much to the over all octane of the fuel. Tank is close to empty sure a couple of gallons might do the trick, but now you have to drive around using up the race gas that is only needed for nitrous. I have done it myself, put 5 gallons in the tank gone looking NOT to find a race and wasted that money.

The stand alone tank costs more than just a pump only, but it can be installed very easily. You can put race gas in the tank and are good to go. The small tank DAve offers I think is 3 qts. so lets say 3 qts. that is roughly 5 lbs of fuel. Now you need .5 lbs. per hour per hp. So for you 150hp if you were going to run that HP for an hour you would need 75lbs of fuel. But you are not running an hour you are running 11 seconds or so. SO 75lbs. /60/60 * 11 =.229 lbs of fuel ever pass. roughly 5 lbs / .229 = 21.83 passes to be completely dry. Not recommended but you see alot of passes on the little tank. Now the nitrous bottle will use 1.32lbs every 11 second pass on 150hp. YOu can only use 5-7lbs of nitrous out of the bottle at that level and have good results, so you would need to fill the bottle after ever 5 or so passes down the track. The little tank will last 5 bottle fills give or take.

Now race gas is ? 6.50 a gallon so per fill up would cost you 4.88. Not bad and cheap insurance. Sorry for rambling but I like the stand alones when dealing with nitrous always have.

Ricky
Old 04-04-2006, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Ricky thanks for the input, im always happy to get your input. I would be installing the intank pump myself so install would cost me just the kit.

I definitely like the sound of the stand alone now, but the only thing is, how lil i drive my car the gas will probably go bad before i use it all... lol who knows, i havent ever sprayed so i may get very addicted

now then , we have 101 octane here for 3.99 so what kind of timing (ball park) would i be able to run safely running a stand alone with 101 in it?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Both is a good idea