General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Front Wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front Wheel bearings?

Ok recently got into an accident, hit the curb. Bent rear axle, fixed and wheel. But the front wheel was messed up to so I fixed it and no other apparent damage. Well now on the freeway I have this weird rumble sound over 70mph it sounds like something rubbing on a front wheel or sumthing. So I looked under the car nothings rubbing. Could the accident and the front wheel hitting the curb, damage the front wheel bearing?

The accident damaged the front drivers side wheel.

When I hear the noise, you can only hear it when the wheel is dead straight level. If I turn it a lil to the left it goes away breifly, when I turn it right it actually happens again.

I'm thinking It could be the wheel bearing.
What does a bad bearing sound like?

Any info
Thanx
Old 04-05-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what a bad bearing sounds like, but usually you can feel it pulling (resisting spinning) when they start to go.

It is an easy fix though. Find someone on here who is parting out and buy their front hubs - the bearings are not serviceable, you have to swap out the entire hub assembly, but it just bolts to the spindle with 4 bolts.

I am not sure that is your problem, but you might find some on here cheap enough to do anyhow.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what I was thinking. Hopefully sumone who knows will chime in.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
Ok recently got into an accident, hit the curb. Bent rear axle, fixed and wheel. But the front wheel was messed up to so I fixed it and no other apparent damage. Well now on the freeway I have this weird rumble sound over 70mph it sounds like something rubbing on a front wheel or sumthing. So I looked under the car nothings rubbing. Could the accident and the front wheel hitting the curb, damage the front wheel bearing?

The accident damaged the front drivers side wheel.

When I hear the noise, you can only hear it when the wheel is dead straight level. If I turn it a lil to the left it goes away breifly, when I turn it right it actually happens again.

I'm thinking It could be the wheel bearing.
What does a bad bearing sound like?

Any info
Thanx
Its a bad bearing/shaft assembly. Only one bearing end is damaged hence you not hearing it when the load is off as you are steering towards the "good" side/part of the bearing.
I had this happen not long ago, if you want to confirm it jack the car till the front wheels are off the ground, grab each wheel one at the time and rock the wheel back and forth. The one giving you a problem will/should have slightly more play in it.

Go to the local auto parts store and get the whole spindle for $110 (COUGH-ADVANCE-COUGH), or you can pay GM the approx. $160-$240 for the item - depending on which dealership you go to.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Teching In

This sounds similiar to what happened to me. I curbed my front right tire pretty bad and had only the suspension components replaced. After a couple thousand miles I started to notice the knocking sound you described. Eventually it got really loud and knocking like crazy all the time. Like weezzer said if you jack your car up and put one hand on top of the wheel and the other underneath and can move it back and forth a little bit then the bearing is bad. It cost me about 240 for the part and 300 with labor to get it fixed.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx Guys, I guess I'm looking for a hub...
Old 04-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Weezzer
... The one giving you a problem will/should have slightly more play in it....
Occasionally you'll get a noisy bearing that doesn't have any play, but your symptoms sure sound like a bearing.

When I have a suspect bearing, I usually start by rotating the tires... in case there is a tire with a seperated ply. It's a cheap first step.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think I located a used in the for sale section...I'll let ya guys know as soon as I get it installed if that fixed it.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel bearings?