New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty (Worth the $)??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty (Worth the $)??

I have an '02 Formula with the 5.7, A4, T-Tops, and 32K miles.

SmartAutoWarranty is offering a bumper to bumper warranty that goes
60 months/100,000 miles for $1,812 (w/$100 deductible).

You can pay $181 down and $135/month for 12 months @ 0% interest.

Any opinions on whether or not it would be worth it would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Old 04-07-2006, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

OHHH HELL NO!!!!!

I worked at First Assured Warranty/1SourceAutoWarranty.com
They are all scams! Just so happens that the Government shut these 2 down because the CEO was a crook. Take the $181 and stick it in a savings account. Then once a month stick that $135 in the savings account also. If your not going to be doing any mods on your car you probably won't be seening any real problems with your car for at least another 50K. And if you do any mods to your car you've wasted the $1812.00 on a warranty that is voided with any type of mod. FA/1SAW.com would void your warranty if the car came with 245/16 tires and you put 255/16 on it instead. If you lowered the car, voided. If you tampered with the emissions(long tubes) voided. If you didn't do perfect 3k oil changes, voided.

Just keep your money and hope for the best.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Launching!

I've been it the auto biz for 20yrs. The ONLY extended waranties worth looking at are from the manufacturer itself, whether its GM,Ford, or DC. These aftermarket insurance waranties are scams. They get a ton of money and on the rare occasion the pay for a fix on your car its with USED parts if they can get away with it. Steer clear.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

I would agree with RoysTransAm. I was a victim of 1Source, luckily I just started a payment plan before they went under. I was so pissed. I don't trust any online warranty company. I still wanted a warranty so I ended up going with Mercury Insurance through my credit union with a $0 deductible. I haven't ever filed a claim with them so I don't know if they are any good, but I know they have been around for a long time. I spoke with a representitive at Mercury about my wheels and they said as long as they are the stock size I should be fine. My other mods are easily reversible.

A warranty is like prepaid insurance for you car, you just have to pick the right one and follow the rules of their contract. I personally like the peace of mind of a warranty. I don't have extra money to set aside for future car repairs and I know how expensive things can get. I had a 93 T/A that was a money pit.

Your best bet for a warranty would probably be through the manufacurer, but thats usually very expensive. Do lots of research and don't settle for the cheapest warranty. This site might be helpful in your search. Good luck!
http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm

Last edited by jrcws6; 04-07-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Thanks..........I Will Heed The Advice And Save The $$$.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shepuz2
Thanks..........I Will Heed The Advice And Save The $$$.
Good call! I was in your shoes in June 04 when my factory warranty expired and I couldn't be happier that I used that money for mods instead.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even the FTC has said that extended warranties are in general a bad idea for consumers. And they really advised agaist extended warranties from a third party. If the company goes out of bussiness... you are stuck with the repair costs anyway.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Don't bother. Everything I've gone in for has had some deductable to pay. But I've been lucky and most of my problems were simple things. Save that money, and use it when you do have a problem and take it to a good shop.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my GMPP paid for itself.

it depends on alot of things if its worth it for you. fbodies do tend to have alot of little things break. big things if you run them hard.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
my GMPP paid for itself.

it depends on alot of things if its worth it for you. fbodies do tend to have alot of little things break. big things if you run them hard.
I too had a GMPP. But when I took it in, the dealer didn't bat an eye and didn't have to get an approval for the repair with GMPP, they just did the repair no questions asked. With a 3rd party warranty, repair shops get real nervous when the car is up on the rack with things torn apart and waiting X number of days for an inspector to come out and deny the claim X days later. Then your stuck with costs of the repair shop to diag the problem sometimes.

Extended Manufacture warranty = sure go ahead.
3rd Party warranty = HELL NO!!!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Ohhh and here is the status of FA/1SA.com

http://www.primeguard.hawaii.gov/

Warranty Gold went through the exact same thing a few years ago.
And WarrantyDirect seems to be ok right now, but nowing a few people that work there and hearing what they have to say, I would still stay clear of them also.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

I bought a 2000 Z71 and got the extended warranty, well the tranny fell out on the way home from the dealership. Even with the warranty I still had to pay like $2200. WTF I didn't think a crate tranny was that much. So do yourself a favor and stay away!!!!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

I have done warranty work for many of my customers and never had an issue. Im a small shop. Just have to make sure the person calling is clear(knows what they are talking about) and friendly with the people and you will be good to go. I had a customer buy a policy after the bying the vehicle. Well I made a list of part that were going to be issue's and repaired items every couple of month's or so. Needless to say he got his money back and then some.

But with that said small problems are easy to get auth for. Complex issue like a blown motor or Tranny are tricky and invloved. Im going through a insurance company right now on a damaged motor when the oil filter fell off and was driven back to the shop. Gotta love Monroe muffler. The adjuster says it happens all the time. There giving him a check for 2700 bucks and they took 30% pro-rated out of it for some age related crap. Later
Old 04-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Launching!

MY 3rd party warranty was great! fbodys break dumb stuff all the time..

my extended warranty paid for itself in in like 2 years..
Old 04-08-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RoysTransAm
I too had a GMPP. But when I took it in, the dealer didn't bat an eye and didn't have to get an approval for the repair with GMPP, they just did the repair no questions asked. With a 3rd party warranty, repair shops get real nervous when the car is up on the rack with things torn apart and waiting X number of days for an inspector to come out and deny the claim X days later. Then your stuck with costs of the repair shop to diag the problem sometimes.

Extended Manufacture warranty = sure go ahead.
3rd Party warranty = HELL NO!!!

i dropped my DS one night. i called GM roadside. they sent a flatbed that arrived in 30 minutes and was given a loaner. all covered by my GMPP.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:23 AM
Teching In

The big thing you have to remember is that these extended warranties are nothing more than a gamble. The warranty company is betting that you'll never use it enough for it to cost them and you're betting you'll break enough crap to make it worth it.