Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, Decisions....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Decisions, Decisions....

I did not put this in a certain section because i am asking about a few different things but here goes. I am going to have about $500 to spend on something. My current mods are in sig. I was wondering what you guys thought I should do. I was thinking about doing a few different things. I was thinking about using the money to get a tune, buy a cam, buy a torque convertor, do some suspension work, buying tires, buying an LS6 intake, doing underdrive pullies, or lastly investing in a whole nitrous wet kit. Lol after all of that, what would you guys do if you had the money?? Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-09-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say if you have $500 get a torque converter
Old 04-09-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd say tc, or new tires if yours are bald and you actually NEED them. a tune wouldn't hurt either, but you're not gonna get a cam for under 500 bucks. you need alot more **** than just the cam itself and it will tally up rather quickly lol. ( looking at your mods and your dyno, DO A T/C OR A TUNE ASAP LOL. ) wtf there is stock cars dynoing higher than that. could something be wrong...?
Old 04-09-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

your car sounds fucked

cams themselves are $200-500, plus the tune.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

plus pushrods plus springs plus tune plus timing chain plus gaskets and a oil pump wouldn't hurt either....just to be safe....that = 1kish.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First Id figure out why your dynoing so low, maybe missfire or somthin? what was your A/F on that dyno? Once you figure out whats wrong I'd say go with a cam and springs.. for everything its going to cost you around 700 though so save your money and it will be worth it.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:11 AM
TECH Addict

those dyno numbers that i have posted were pretty much stock numbers. All that I had done to the car at that point in time was a lid and Granatelli MAF. I have not dynoed since.... And from what everyone said, that was about right for a near stock 98 A4. Anyways, I dont need tires, i just thought stickier tires would be a good investment. But I'll probably go with a tune and some underdrive pullies..... I think that i should tune it before i start doing more motor mods.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

unless you got the hookup on 2nd, 3rd, 4th tunes etc. for way cheaper than you payed before i'd wait.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

so then you guys are pretty much saying Torque Convertor then? I would love to go with a cam, but then i would have to get it tuned anyways
Old 04-10-2006, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

i would say a stall also, a definite must for us a4 guys
Old 04-10-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

ok, so stall it is. I have a few questions about putting a stall in the car. what all do i need to buy besides the stall? i know i'll need a tranny cooler, and probably some tranny fluid. but what else? will i need a tranny temperature gauge or anything? Im really clueless when it comes to stall converters. Honestly I dont even know how or why they help out. So if i were to buy a 4,000RPM stall, would the car feel quite a bit different or just a little different... and how so? I'm sorry for being such a PITA but I'm clueless when it comes to these things, and I have been reading a little on them, but for the most part it just confuses me more! Thanks in advance guys!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

you'd need a stall before a cam anyways so good choice. and i really don't think you realize how much a cam swap is going to run you lol.....
Old 04-11-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't do anything untill you have a grand. Then you can get the stall, and the tune. A tune could help you as it sits now, but you don't want to tune it, then get a big stall and need another tune.

Also, while you're waiting to get that cash together do some research on Torqe Convertors and stall speed so you understand what you are doing. This would be a good time to decide what size cam you will be getting so you can make sure that your stall speed is well matched to your cams powerband.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
you'd need a stall before a cam anyways so good choice. and i really don't think you realize how much a cam swap is going to run you lol.....
True that! I'd like to get a better clutch and tranny stuff before I do a cam. Kinda like you A4 guy getting a TC before a cam. Cams do cost a lot to do. My plan is to do heads and cam together. So, that costs much more
Old 04-11-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
True that! I'd like to get a better clutch and tranny stuff before I do a cam. Kinda like you A4 guy getting a TC before a cam. Cams do cost a lot to do. My plan is to do heads and cam together. So, that costs much more
me and you are on the same page hotwhipt/a i've been working on it ever since i got my car...saving, modding - just preparing for the cam install. even upgraded the clutch, all that. only thing i decided against was the 4.10's (10-bolt blah) full exhaust, ls6 intake, lid, subframes etc...and now the cam is going in this weekend. all the **** i ordered was just under a grand. plus my tune. so that's just an idea of what you'd be getting into, after all if you're gonna spend all that cash you my as well do it right the first time even if it costs a little more!