General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

air conditioner isn't cooling

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C question

First I dont know if this thread should go in this area. But here goes. The A/C in my TA has just up and died on me. It was working fine, but my dash cracked then my heater core sprung a leak, so I decided to take the dash out get a new one and replace the heater core. Well everything went smooth got the dash out in a few hours, replaced the heater core and put everything back the next day. Well I started noticing my A/C wasnt cooling as well, I figured one of the vacuum hoses were leaking or unplugged so I opened her up again but everything was fine, I checked the R=134 charge with a cheepo walmart gauge/ r=134 and oil can, and it read it was close to 50, now I know that is way too high for the low side. Has anybody else had or have this problem?

Any suggestions?

I had one guy tell me that the compressor just gave up the ghost, I mean my car does have 120k miles.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Question

I'm sorry to say that I wouldn't know the problem, however, my problem seems similar...my AC blows but doesn't blow cold air anymore...I can't seem to find any repair manuals for my 2001 Trans Am, so i can't find the Air Conditioner Nozzle thing to check the charge of the R134.

Is R-134a the same as R134?

Where is this nozzle fitting?

What else could be the problem?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

passenger side of engine bay. i think its called the evaporator its a black cap that you plug into. also the reading is greatly affected by how hot it is outside.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

I think i found it, but there's no cap...that could be a problem...in any case, how do I positively identify that is it?

Anyone got a picture?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Launching!

the low side service port is located on the accumulator mounted in the inside of the passengerside fenderwell. was that 50 on the low side while it was running or not. If it wasnt running it should have been around ambient air temperature and i doubt you would be using your a/c if it was 50 outside. Im guessing if you were messing with the dash and stuff you could have a put a hole in your evaporator or something and its slowly leaking out. Do you know if your compressor is even kicking in?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Mine does the same thing. Found out the compressor wasnt turning on. Then, found the hi-pressure switch on the compressor, the connector is funky. I had to wiggle the cable to the switch and the compressor turns on.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by trbochv6
Mine does the same thing. Found out the compressor wasnt turning on. Then, found the hi-pressure switch on the compressor, the connector is funky. I had to wiggle the cable to the switch and the compressor turns on.

Where is this switch located that you are talking about? I'm having the same thing. No cold air.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

damm thats what I call back from the dead.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Yeah, really...haha. I just use the search engine and this thread came up. ;-)