Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how loud is the LM

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how loud is the LM

I have a A4 WS6 with a cutout for which my wife hates. Is the LM just as loud, especially around cruising speeds or will my wife moan about that exhaust as well. Or would a better comparison be with borla's with the 3 different levels of sound that they have. I love my cutout but it is time for me to get a catback any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

LM can get drony on the highway but heres what it sounds like with LT's and a ORY which we all know you will end up getting anyways:

http://media.putfile.com/Tire-View-Burnout
Old 04-12-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Had it on my 94 T/A, on the highway at 80 mph cruising at 2000 rpm's it had the worst drone that I could barely hold a conversation or had to have the radio blasting to hear the music. Now on my newer Trans Am I opted for the Magnaflow and couldn't be happier.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love mine, but am switching to a TD setup, It will probally be just as loud as the cutout. If you want something quiet check out the hooker catback.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Launching!

it is going to be quiter than open headers. At WOT it screams, i have a true dual set up with LT no cats and LM mufflers. its loud when u get on it. but driving around town its fine. My gf doesnt think its loud. you'll love it!!!!!
Old 04-12-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my caprice at the strip over the weekend and 1 of my runs was against a LS1 camaro and i treed him. When he passed me at the 1000 ft mark it made my ears ring and I had my helmet on, windows up, my car screaming.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by EVIL TA
it is going to be quiter than open headers. At WOT it screams, i have a true dual set up with LT no cats and LM mufflers. its loud when u get on it. but driving around town its fine. My gf doesnt think its loud. you'll love it!!!!!

For your sig, you have to upload the pic to a server like tinypic.com, snapfish.com, photobucket.com etc.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
For your sig, you have to upload the pic to a server like tinypic.com, snapfish.com, photobucket.com etc.
ok, thanks man. what about pics that i have on my hard drive and i try to post them on here and it says its to big. i cant make them smaller on my computer, it wont give me that option. what do i do?
Old 04-12-2006, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

just get rid of the wife and get the LM.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its pretty loud. Its not too bad when in OD. When you get on it,its very loud. I dont ever get the dreaded drone everyone hates. But if you have a high stall it loud around town. I love the way it sounds. It will sound better than running a cutout 24/7.IMO you BOTH will be happy with the LM
Old 04-12-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

The LM will be nearly as loud as a cutout, if you want a quiet catback, try either the hooker, or the slp dual dual, those 2 are pretty quiet for just normal driving, but can get loud when go go WOT
Old 04-12-2006, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by EVIL TA
ok, thanks man. what about pics that i have on my hard drive and i try to post them on here and it says its to big. i cant make them smaller on my computer, it wont give me that option. what do i do?

Create an account with snapfish, that site automatically resizes your pics for you. I use that site and have had no issues with it.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At idle you can convince her it's quieter, but at WOT, it's not that much different.

http://chrisnrobinsmith.com/avfiles/FUNLS1TransAm.wmv
Old 04-13-2006, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

I agree with ss blackattack. I dont get that drone either. However, Im used to LT's, true duals, and dumped for axle. Id say that if you like the sound of your cutout, youll like the LM. The advantages are: Way quieter idle, less popping, and ability to be stealth around town(low RPM's). But when you want to bring the noise.. its there!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

In my opinion:

-Far too much drone while cruising at certain RPMs, makes crap vibrate all over inside at times.
-It's loud just for the sake of being loud. I know this is what some people are looking for, but it seems to not really have a "tone" to the exhaust at all; it's just noise and rasp.
-Pretty much can't be hooked up to LTs and an ORY for most normal people. Some just love it when their car can be heard driving easily for a mile away, but many of us don't want that. You think it's bad with rasp on the stock manifolds? Wait until you get that ORY on and you'll know the definition of rasp. Definitely sounds mean, but the volume level and resonance is enough to make someone go insane after too long. My buddy had it and loved it for a while, but the volume and negative attention he got from it quickly made him hate driving his car. You can put it with a catted Y, but it's still loud as hell and raspy.
-Flows VERY well, but that positive doesn't outweigh the negatives to me.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

MavrikTA pretty much put it in a nutshell. I had the LM for about 1 year w/stock manifolds, and it sounded mean. I loved it, and so did everyone else that heard it; I got nothing but complements on the sound. Some people like it, some people don't. You'r wife would probably prefer the LM better because of the fact that the outlet (sound) isn't coming out right beneath your seat. The sound really isn't all that loud until around 2500 or 3000. After my 02's kept going bad, and catts backed up, I installed LT's & ORY. But, IMO, the positive does outweigh the bad. Oh, my gf loved the sound also.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
In my opinion:
-Far too much drone while cruising at certain RPMs, makes crap vibrate all over inside at times..
Subjective, but is true for a lot of people, and I admit to needing to tighten bolts up here & there

In my opinion:
-It's loud just for the sake of being loud. I know this is what some people are looking for, but it seems to not really have a "tone" to the exhaust at all; it's just noise and rasp. .
This really does need the "In My Opinion" disclaimer... It think the tone in my video above is great (Hope you have sub-woofer) and potentially disproves your assertion. It's nice and deep and not overloud except when you get on it (the LT's and cats help a lot).

In my opinion:
-Pretty much can't be hooked up to LTs and an ORY for most normal people. Some just love it when their car can be heard driving easily for a mile away, but many of us don't want that. You think it's bad with rasp on the stock manifolds? Wait until you get that ORY on and you'll know the definition of rasp. Definitely sounds mean, but the volume level and resonance is enough to make someone go insane after too long. My buddy had it and loved it for a while, but the volume and negative attention he got from it quickly made him hate driving his car. You can put it with a catted Y, but it's still loud as hell and raspy..
Huh? The problem I had was getting the LTs in, the hook up to the Y and the LM was a piece of cake. Here's some insight into the mind of a happy LM owner: There's a ramp onto the hwy near here that goes under the overpass, and at rush hour traffic is backed up going the other way. It's my favorite place to do a hole shot and wind it out to red line producing 1000's of gaping mouths on the other side of the Hwy . Rasp is worse on stock manifolds and with LTs but NO cats. Go with LTs and cats.

In my opinion:
-Flows VERY well, but that positive doesn't outweigh the negatives to me.
Flows better than anything except cutouts, and they don't flow much more than LM with resonator.

Just MY opinion on sound quality, but the stuff about rasp and fit is from direct experience.

Last edited by FUN LS1; 04-13-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Lm is same as cutout. Get a hooker/slp dual/dual/magnaflow/borla/corsa, they are all much quieter.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

One word to describe the sound of the Loud Mouth at idle... MELLOW.
One word to describe the sound of the Loud Mouth at wide open throttle... NASCAR!
Old 04-13-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FUN LS1
Subjective, but is true for a lotof people, and I admit to needing to tighten bolts up here & there

This really does need the "In My Opinion" disclaimer... It think the tone in my video above is great (Hope you have sub-woofer) and potentially disporves your assertion. It's nice and deep and not overloud except when you get on it (the LT's and cats help a lot).

Huh? The problem I had was getting the LTs in, the hook up to the Y and the LM was a piece of cake. Here's some insight intot he mind of a happy LM owner: There's a ramp onto the hwy near here that goes under the overpass, and at rush hour traffic is backed up going the other way. It's my favorite place to do a hole shot and wind it out to red line producing 1000's of gaping mouths on the other side of the Hwy . Rasp is worse on stock manifolds and with LTs but NO cats. Go with LTs and cats.

Flows better than anything except cutouts, and they don't flow much more than LM with resonator.

Just MY opinion on sound quality, but the stuff about rasp and fit is from direct experience.
Yeah, I listened to that vid afterwards and it does indeed sound good. In terms of me saying that LM can't be hooked to LTs and ORY, I meant that it's simply too loud for some people (not that it can't be physically done)

Everything is subjective and I know a lot of people are fond of the Loudmouth. The sound isn't bad at all and I love loud cars myself, it just isn't something I'd personally put on my car.