General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear end noise / diagnosis help requested

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end noise / diagnosis help requested

My buddy at work recently purchased a '99 T/A 6 spd and he took me for a ride in it tonight to see if I could help him figure out the noise he's getting from the passenger side rear. The noise is only NOT apparent when he's in netrual or when the clutch is engaged. It's basically only making a rotational noise under a load. It's only coming from the passenger side also. I don't believe it to be the differential as you really can't hear anything from that area. It's basically isolated to the corner. He's inspected the caliper, and it isn't froze and the brake components seem to be in normal shape. I had a thought that it could possibly be the bearings, but am not certain. Wanted to see if anyone had any theories as to what this could be.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Staging Lane

I'd go with the axel bearings....only one way to find out though. And if he keeps driving it there's a chance he could pit the axel. Does it sound like a growl or a howl?
Old 04-19-2006, 03:04 AM
Staging Lane

I'm the one with this problem. Tim said he'd post up and then I could add to it if needed.

Anyway, as for the sound, I thought at first that the caliper on the rear passenger side might be stuck and rubbing the hell out of the rotor, but I checked and it's not. But if you can imagine what it would sound like having a seized caliper, then it would sound like that. I guess, more of a growl sound.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:29 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess what? I am willing to bet that your ring gear is missing some teeth.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:58 AM
Staging Lane

I changed the rear diff fluid just after I got the car, a couple months ago. While I had the cover off, I spun the tires around and checked the gear. I was surprised at how well it looked. They are not chipped what-so-ever. All the teeth are there.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:05 AM
Staging Lane

Keep in mind, the sound is pretty dominant on the right side. I would think if it was a bad gear, then the sound would come more from the center.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

Any other suggestions?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Nope..just the one I had before. I had the same exact problem awhile back...a decent growling from the passenger rear. It was the axel bearing along with a pitted axel and that axel cost me some bucks...plus I had a loose caliper making a clanking sound.

But here's a TTT for ya
Old 04-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, so I pulled both rear axle shafts this evening. The good news is that neither axle shaft is pitted. The are both as smooth as a baby's butt where it rolls on the bearings. I inspected the other end (the splines?? is that correct?) and they don't look bad either.

My question at this point is, should I remove the gears and inspect them thoroughly while I have the diff cover off? Is it a big and/or difficult job to do that?

I would just hate to put new axle bearings and seals in and the noise still be there, then have to take it all apart again and drain/replace the diff fluid a third time. What do you all think? If you think it would be a good idea to remove the gears for inspection, is there a site with a good write-up with pics on how to do it?

Quick Reply: Rear end noise / diagnosis help requested