General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car didnt wanna start after work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car didnt wanna start after work?

Came out to my car after work today, went to start it and heard a type of clicking noise, it wasnt the battery cus all my electronics came on, lights, radio, etc. The noise seemed to be coming from under the passenger, i guess thats where the starter is connected to the tranny? (Where exactly is it btw)
but after 3 times it started it was kinda werid. So i got home and everything was fine, it drove fine and what not.
Then 30 mins later i went to start it up and everything was fine it fired right up, could it be a cold start issue or what?!?!?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Old 04-19-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check your battery cables.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

It might be the starter relay starting to go out. My ignition relay(which is the same relay model) started to go out. It would turn over, but wouldn't even hint at firing. I swamped it with the starter relay and then the car wouldn't turn over. So, since the problem moved, I knew it was the relay. Went and picked up two. I keep an extra in the glove box. If it is going out, it will get worse until it is completely non functional.

Mechanical relays can sometimes be convinced to switch if you tap on them. When I first had this issue, I fetched my laptop from the trunk, thinking it was the VATS. I had been messing with HPtuners for a couple of weeks tuning my VE. I shut the trunk, did a vats relink and it started right up. A day later, it didn't start again, this time my laptop was right next to me. I did a relink and it still wouldn't start. Reflashed, no start. It occurred to me that maybe it is a relay and when I slammed the trunk it did something. I popped the trunk, slammed it shut, it then started right up. I guess I am telling you this so if you are stuck somewhere and this happens, you might tap on the relay to see if it will switch.

This apparently has happened to other since I found some posts on here pointing to that relay.

DEE
Old 04-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DEE99TA
It might be the starter relay starting to go out. My ignition relay(which is the same relay model) started to go out. It would turn over, but wouldn't even hint at firing. I swamped it with the starter relay and then the car wouldn't turn over. So, since the problem moved, I knew it was the relay. Went and picked up two. I keep an extra in the glove box. If it is going out, it will get worse until it is completely non functional.

Mechanical relays can sometimes be convinced to switch if you tap on them. When I first had this issue, I fetched my laptop from the trunk, thinking it was the VATS. I had been messing with HPtuners for a couple of weeks tuning my VE. I shut the trunk, did a vats relink and it started right up. A day later, it didn't start again, this time my laptop was right next to me. I did a relink and it still wouldn't start. Reflashed, no start. It occurred to me that maybe it is a relay and when I slammed the trunk it did something. I popped the trunk, slammed it shut, it then started right up. I guess I am telling you this so if you are stuck somewhere and this happens, you might tap on the relay to see if it will switch.

This apparently has happened to other since I found some posts on here pointing to that relay.

DEE
where is the relay and is there a fuse of some sort? what do i need to replace or examie?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LightEmUpLs1
where is the relay and is there a fuse of some sort? what do i need to replace or examie?
I just started having this same problem on my '99 TA, new battery and all connections for power check out. No start when cold, turns over fine but no ignition. Guages go all wacky too...and there is a strange mechanical sound when ignition is "ON" and the accellerator pedal is pressed on the first depression of it. After about 15-20 tries, it will finally start and run but sometimes dies on the road. Where is that relay located? Any GM part numbers?

TIA!
Old 04-24-2006, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

I am also very interested in the relay number. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LightEmUpLs1
Have your battery load tested just because the lights or whatever came on doesn't mean jack. Preform a visual check on the cables. Are they corroded? White stuff?

The relay is in the underhood fuseblock in the F-bodies.

A low battery can raise all kinds of hell. Load test it first then do the other troubleshooting.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

I am gonna try swapping the ignition and starter relay next time I have problems