Whats wrong with my friends car??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats wrong with my friends car??

My friends car does not want to start, it cranks but does not spark, Changed plugs, wires, crankshaft position sensor, starter, alternator, battery. Someone said it might be the security module on the car. Anyone on here wanna second that or give a diagnosis. Thanks.
-John
Old 04-26-2006, 08:40 AM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry man, I can't diagnose this without knowing what color the car is. I do however have the amazing ability to tell you whats wrong with it without knowing the year, make, model, engine size, whether or not it has fuel, fuel pressure, if the injectors are firing, if the coil is plugged in, if you get spark at the coil but not the plugs or if the security light is flashing or not.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

Sorry, just figured since this is ls1tech that everyone had magical powers. It is a ls1, has fuel and all that. Security light does blink.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:38 AM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

If there is no spark and the injectors aren't firing I'd lean towards the vats. Especially with the flashing security light. Clean the key, blow out the lock cylinder and try it again. If this doesn't work you could either start tracing the harness or head to radio shack and buy the correct resistors and wire them in place of the lock cylinder contacts.

As far as I know VATS has never stopped a car thief anyways.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

im with him, if the car worked fine than all of a sudden started doing this on its own i would think its the vats.. if you did an intake or cam swap than i would think the coils were unpluged...
Old 04-26-2006, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys. What are the correct resistors and where can I find that lock cylinder??
Old 04-26-2006, 01:31 PM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RGV_Z28
Thanks guys. What are the correct resistors and where can I find that lock cylinder??
There are 16 different ones, just measure the impedance of the pellet in the key. You'll have to add a few resistors together to get the right value, hope you know ohm's law

I haven't done it in quite some time but you wire the resistor into the harness to the VATS module, can't recall exactly which one though.

The lock cylinder is where you stick the key to start the car. Sometimes the contacts get dirty.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

The ground on the back of the head does that also. Took me a while to figure that out