Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How skinny is too skinny for the front runners wheel size, are there any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 05:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How skinny is too skinny for the front runners wheel size, are there any issues?

I have some Bogarts 15x4's for a front runner what is the best tire size I can put on them.

Would I better off with a 15x5 for more stability going down the track?

Any issues with a 15x4 driving around town under 40 mph?

Thanks for your time
Old 04-30-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

You would have to check with Bogart on whether or not they reccomend driving around town and such on that 15x4.
I know Weld 15x3.5 front runner has stamped in it "for drag racing use only"
Weld WILL NOT warranty the wheel if you take a turn too fast and the wheel breaks on the street.
My cousin is a rep for Weld and gets about one call a month from someone driving frontrunners on the street and the wheel breaking in half cause they took a turn at 40 or something........and now they want the damage to thier car fixed.

I run 15x5 because I drive them on the street alot.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Banned

i've driven TONS of street miles and highway miles with a 15x3.5" drag lite front runner and have had no problems at all. as long as you are smart enough to realize that you can't drive the car like a nascar road course car on the street you'll be fine. just don't be stupid and you wont have to worry about breaking wheels.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Bogarts are not built to take the strains of daily driving so unless you're talking just to and from the track, I'd say no go. I have daily driven on Weld 15x3.5s with 165R15 radials for months at a time with no problems. Only drawbacks are no sharp turns and braking is severely diminished with less rubber up front.

g
Old 04-30-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run a 15x3.5 Prostar on the street with 165 Kuhmos. No problems here, and my braking doesn't seem to be any worse than it was with the 245s
Old 05-01-2006, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily drive my 15x3.5's 90+ miles a day. Like skipper said as long as you don't try to drive like your on a road course, you'll be just fine.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....AND ABSOLOUTLY no rain (duh). My friend learned the hard way, spun 360s on the freeway, missed the traffic, and ended up on the shoulder like he pulled over......lucky bastard. He thinks they might have been slightly bent from the spinning. Bald 335 MT DR didn't help much either in a torrential down poor. He "says" he was only going 55. I didn't buy it, but it is possible I guess.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ninetres
....AND ABSOLOUTLY no rain (duh). My friend learned the hard way, spun 360s on the freeway, missed the traffic, and ended up on the shoulder like he pulled over......lucky bastard. He thinks they might have been slightly bent from the spinning. Bald 335 MT DR didn't help much either in a torrential down poor. He "says" he was only going 55. I didn't buy it, but it is possible I guess.
this is my only car and i drive it in the rain, snow, ice with no problems(just go slow). I also have bald *** tires on the backl all the time due to the spool.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I drive around on Weld 15x3.5's also. You just have to realize thats whay you have on there. I'm not sure that the Bogarts can withstand DD though. Talk to Steve at SJM, he should be able to tell ya. I think why the Weld 3.5's are stamped for "Drag use Only" is because they are a 3.5" rim. I think you have to have at least a 4" to be street legal. I could be wrong though.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
this is my only car and i drive it in the rain, snow, ice with no problems(just go slow). I also have bald *** tires on the backl all the time due to the spool.
I know, but it still isn't safe. How can you drive 90 miles to work (or 45 one way, whatevr it is) on Ice with your 4 tires??? Do you leave a 4 in the morning for your 8am shift? lol

It is just not safe in case it begins to REALLY POOR! In Fresno at least, sometimes it rains so hard that there is a good 1/4 of water on the freeway, not like a flood, but you know when it rains SO hard the water is just thick on the pavement. With bald MT DR, or QTP in the back, and skinnies on the front, I wouldn't want to exceed like 30-40mph.......in the sort of rain I am referring to.

Threadjack---How long (miles I guess) would a set of standard tires last out back? Like some street tires for DD and no racing? I'm goin spool one of these days and plan to roll some nitto ZRs, or sumihotos or something
Old 05-02-2006, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With ET streets on the back of my car I cant go over 15mph in the rain without the car going all over.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

I've also driven around on 15x3.5 welds for over a month going 60+ at times
Old 05-02-2006, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

me too. no problems here.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ninetres
I know, but it still isn't safe. How can you drive 90 miles to work (or 45 one way, whatevr it is) on Ice with your 4 tires??? Do you leave a 4 in the morning for your 8am shift? lol

It is just not safe in case it begins to REALLY POOR! In Fresno at least, sometimes it rains so hard that there is a good 1/4 of water on the freeway, not like a flood, but you know when it rains SO hard the water is just thick on the pavement. With bald MT DR, or QTP in the back, and skinnies on the front, I wouldn't want to exceed like 30-40mph.......in the sort of rain I am referring to.

Threadjack---How long (miles I guess) would a set of standard tires last out back? Like some street tires for DD and no racing? I'm goin spool one of these days and plan to roll some nitto ZRs, or sumihotos or something
Yeah. i drive it ALL the time. Its 44.X miles to my job. takes me about 45 min avg. And i have driven in Tsumani like conditions all the time. This is Texas we have retarted weather. And i've driven with ice all over the highway too. The longest it has ever taken me to get home is about an hour and 30 min when it was iced over. I was going about 25-35 mph. with cars going 50-60 by me (then i would chug right by and see thenm in a ditch).
As for the back tires just get the cheapest ones you can find. i just put used ones on for about $40 both mounted and balanced every 6 months or so.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smoknta
With ET streets on the back of my car I cant go over 15mph in the rain without the car going all over.
Really? I drove mine at 55 in the rain the other day with skinnies and Hoosier slicks, I didn't slide around one bit
Old 05-02-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Strahley
Really? I drove mine at 55 in the rain the other day with skinnies and Hoosier slicks, I didn't slide around one bit
Yeah I was headed home from a cruise in one day and got caught in a down pour. Windows down, windshield wiper switch broke on me. And I hit that went street and the back end was all over the place. I got off the highway and took the back roads home going about 15 mph.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedo
I have some Bogarts 15x4's for a front runner what is the best tire size I can put on them.

Would I better off with a 15x5 for more stability going down the track?

Any issues with a 15x4 driving around town under 40 mph?

Thanks for your time
Do NOT use radial tires on any front runner including ours, use a MTT-1573 tire if you need to run a DOT legal tire. If you don't, then choose an ET drag front runner.

Being 15x4 or 5 even, won't change your footprint to any degree for more stable driving. Drag wheels are not DOT legal.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I drove all over on a set of Weld Draglites, even drove to Bristol and back.

I have a set of Bogart Bolted RT's, they look like they can handle the streets as well as Pro Stars or Draglites.

I would not use the P2 Bogarts, or Weld one piece fronts on the street since they are much lighter.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Do NOT use radial tires on any front runner including ours, use a MTT-1573 tire if you need to run a DOT legal tire. If you don't, then choose an ET drag front runner.

Being 15x4 or 5 even, won't change your footprint to any degree for more stable driving. Drag wheels are not DOT legal.
Why not a radial on front runners? What if your running radials on the rear too?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire67
Why not a radial on front runners? What if your running radials on the rear too?
Skinnies take quite a bit load from driving. No skinny wheel is street legal or safe to use on the street.

No current VW radial is designed for the speeds of our cars. They are also a smaller in diameter then a typical setup. Radials further stress a wheel due to its stiffness...if your using a drag skinny wheel on the street against all manufactures recommendations and state laws, why choose a tire that will create more chances of failure...small in diameter...not structurally safe etc etc??? Cost?? is your life worth the few dollars your saving??

...leave the radial tires for the VW's or smaller cars that are designed to use them.

If you guys want tires/wheel combo's that handle...certainly don't use ANY drag setup. Use a RR setup with smaller sidewalls that works 100X better.

Quick Reply: How skinny is too skinny for the front runners wheel size, are there any issues?