Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Any TEXtralia users with an Aftermarket Master Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any TEXtralia users with an Aftermarket Master Cylinder?

Basically as the title says.

I cant really find any info on this issue. I know my stocker sucks, and I'm hoping that a new MC will clear up my WOT shift issues. (wont go in gear for a couple seconds unless i double clutch.) I just bled the system with a mity vac after the drill mod and it still has issues... so im going to bring it to a shop to be bled properly... but either way a new master might be a good idea.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

I emailed textralia asking them the same question and they said that their setup is designed to use the stock master. They told me to use the stocker. So I just bought a new one.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We don't recommend any aftermarket master cylinders with our clutches.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a new Master, you could always get the Ram adjustable master...they take a stock one, and weld an adjustable part on to it. It would work, and give you the ability to adjust it...
Old 05-01-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought a stock one as well and it comes prebled. my car had about a inch and half of play at the top and no matter what i did to bleed it i just couldnt get it out. anyhow, the new OEM fixed me up and the clutch is great...i'd recommend just getting a new OEM master..

Jon
Old 05-01-2006, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

Nice. For the few extra bucks, I'll prob just get the Ram. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If you want a new Master, you could always get the Ram adjustable master...they take a stock one, and weld an adjustable part on to it. It would work, and give you the ability to adjust it...
Overtravel is a potential problem with these clutches. One reason clutch manufacturers recommend the stock MC is to aviod overtravel. A third-party MC, especially an adjustable, is an unknown - it may or may not be ok.

Last edited by Gary Z; 05-01-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SaintNJ
Nice. For the few extra bucks, I'll prob just get the Ram. Thanks for the help.
if i was you i would listen to the manufacturer, and go with a OEM master..he just said that he doesnt recommend any aftermarket...

Originally Posted by Textralia
We don't recommend any aftermarket master cylinders with our clutches
Old 05-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Gary Z
Overtravel is a potential problem with these clutches. One reason clutch manufacturers recommend the stock MC is to aviod overtravel. A third-party MC, especially an adjustable, is an unknown - it may or may not be ok.
True, but it wouldn't be rocket science to set the length the same as stock...all they do is cut a rod off and weld an adjustable one in its place.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Ahh you know what I didnt know until recently. Is that the 01-02 MC's are different. I figured I have a stock MC and it sucks, lol but a new upgraded design might be the way to go... no need for adj. really if it could cause issues, i just want this damn thing to work.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Yep...01-02 cars got upgraded masters and slaves...
Old 05-02-2006, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Yep...01-02 cars got upgraded masters and slaves...
Do you still want to do the drill mod on those as well?? I forget. Anyway my problem is I got a McCleod Master when I changed my clutch last year. So I should just take it out and toss it????? I'm puttin in my Textralia clutch as we speak.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Yes, they still need the drill mod. As for the McLeod, don't toss it, but I wouldn't use it with the Textralia. It has a different sized bore, so it moves a different amount of fluid (at least that's what I've read - whether or not it is true is a different story).
Old 05-03-2006, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

You would think MORE fluid is a good thing? If you want you could be the test subject, lol give the Mcleod a shot. Otherwise, obviously its been suggested to only use the stock MC. And apparently the 01-02 are the best choices. Unless there is another I am unaware of. Keep us posted if anyone learns anymore about this topic... or has similar issues.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SaintNJ
You would think MORE fluid is a good thing? If you want you could be the test subject, lol give the Mcleod a shot. Otherwise, obviously its been suggested to only use the stock MC. And apparently the 01-02 are the best choices. Unless there is another I am unaware of. Keep us posted if anyone learns anymore about this topic... or has similar issues.
I think I will. I aint about to go and buy another master. I'm hoping that Textralia is just saying that for liability reasons and have not tested it with the McCleod adjustable.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

That is more than likely so being as how the oz700 was designed to work with the stock hydraulics. I'd gather that if you set the adjustment as close to stock as possible, you shouldnt have many issues... but I'm no expert by any means. So let us know if you have any success with it? Maybe even try adjusting it away from the stock position if you're feeling frisky. lol Good luck.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:18 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, its beacuse the first unit in the U.S. was tested by me. We tested it with a McLeod M/C, as the unit replaced McLeod Dual disc. The fluid volume of the McLeod is more, and it caused issues with overtravel, and the clutch going inverted. We replaced it with a stock master, and the issues were resolved. Others have seen the same issue.

Using a McLeod can damage your clutch...
Old 03-14-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

I've got to bring this thread back from the dead. Is it still the consensus that using a McLeod can damage your Textralia clutch?

I have had my OZ700 Z-grip in for only 3000 miles. I also had new OEM master/slave installed and the drill mod. Lately, the pedal has been springy and engagement is very low.

I have read of others who installed adjustable masters to fully resolve this problem. Should I take that route or just service the clutch and see if it gets better?

Last edited by blackmaro99; 03-17-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

Bumpp
Old 03-17-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blackmaro99
I've got to bring this thread back from the dead. Is it still the consensus that using a McLeod can damage your Textralia clutch?

I have had my OZ700 Z-grip in for only 3000 miles. I also had new OEM master/slave installed and the drill mod. Lately, the pedal has been springy and engagement is very low.

I have read of others who installed adjustable masters to fully resolve this problem. Should I take that route or just service the clutch and see if it gets better?
If it was fine before and engagement point has changed only recently, then it sounds like you need to bleed the clutch well with all new fluid and go from there. I wouldn't recommend swapping to an aftermarket master since they still recommend the OEM master cylinder. That in mind, the RAM adjustable master is just a stock unit with an adjustable end welded on, so if you replace it, go with the RAM, not McLeod. Try the bleed first, though.

Quick Reply: Any TEXtralia users with an Aftermarket Master Cylinder?