Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when checking out a camaro...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when checking out a camaro...

when i was looking out a SS camaro this weekend i noticed a large line i was told it was a vacuum line from the a.i.r pump with a mini filter on it and he said it was put there when the new lid was put on does this sound normal because i havent seen any like this when looking at others?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, just like mine.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

and mine
Old 05-02-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Perfectly normal.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:41 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like there is a mod or two on the car already. But yeah that is normal.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have that hose...I had my A.I.R. system deleted from my computer when I had racing style long tubes put on. After I deleted the air system, I got rid of the system itself, air pump(under the driver-side headlight), and all hoses associated with the system...cleans up the engine compartment a little.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Teching In

ok thanks. yea the car has a few mods already, not sure if i want to buy a moded car or not yet. its got some 375hp badges on the interior but ive never heard of this special package before im guessing its just a dealer upgrade maybe, its a 2000
Old 05-03-2006, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it's probably something he did himself. No 375 hp dealer options, there was a 345 SLP package though.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:53 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
there was a 345 SLP package though.
I wonder if that has ever been dyno proven to their defense.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I wonder if that has ever been dyno proven to their defense.
Most dynoed higher, but it's beleived that GM wouldn't allow any Camaro to touch the 02 Vette base rating of 350hp.

Remeber these are net HP ratings which equates to about 290rwhp.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:23 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Your right. They did it as a marketing tool.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AIR system? Whats that? Sounds like unnecessary ballast to me
Old 05-04-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Your right. They did it as a marketing tool.
Not sure exactly what you mean, but if I may comment...

Alot of people seem to hold animosity towards SLP. I'm not real thrilled with certain key people that used to be part of the group, but one thing is certain; if not for SLP we would have never had the 4th gen SS which for that alone I am forever greatful.

Now the 345 rating was probably underrated. It was a nice factory optioned intake and catback. We all know that any Z28 of the same year optioned with a lid and nice catback will make the same HP as an SS... plus or minus.

My other 345hp SS with only long tubes added produced 329rwhp untuned which is about 388 flywheel horsepower assuming a 15% drivetrain loss.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS1 motor that was used in the vette is the same one that was used in the SS and the Z28, internally there is no difference whatsoever. Externally, (regarding the engine) the SS was available with a different exhaust, although argueably not enough to make the difference in hp claims by gm (or by those trying to reconvince their purchase decision). There is no SS camshaft, Vette camshaft, etc...in the LS1. Look up the part numbers or find a replacement motor; they are all the same motors. The hp ratings are all marketing tools and classifications to warrant the engine being used in these cars without impeding upon the price of buying a vette that has the same motor as an SS and Z28, or an SS that costs an average of 5G more than a Z28 but motor wise was the same. In stock trim, all of the cars will dyno very, very similar of each other.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joker
The LS1 motor that was used in the vette is the same one that was used in the SS and the Z28, internally there is no difference whatsoever. Externally, (regarding the engine) the SS was available with a different exhaust, although argueably not enough to make the difference in hp claims by gm (or by those trying to reconvince their purchase decision). There is no SS camshaft, Vette camshaft, etc...in the LS1. Look up the part numbers or find a replacement motor; they are all the same motors. The hp ratings are all marketing tools and classifications to warrant the engine being used in these cars without impeding upon the price of buying a vette that has the same motor as an SS and Z28, or an SS that costs an average of 5G more than a Z28 but motor wise was the same. In stock trim, all of the cars will dyno very, very similar of each other.
The vettes have different cams I beleive. The late Fbodies used a truck cam. I had the numbers here somewhere.

And as far as the arguement of SS vs Z28 it's futile at best. The SS had a deeper option list to choose from, if you were going just for bang for the buck than the Z28 is the clear winner. If you wanted SS styling, factory suspension options etc than you g;ad;y paid for the Y2Y and additional RPO codes.

BTW, all 02 LS1s were LS6 blocks. They quit differentiating between the two. (I was told this by someone in Camaro div at GM)
Old 05-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ssheets
The vettes have different cams I beleive. The late Fbodies used a truck cam. I had the numbers here somewhere.

And as far as the arguement of SS vs Z28 it's futile at best. The SS had a deeper option list to choose from, if you were going just for bang for the buck than the Z28 is the clear winner. If you wanted SS styling, factory suspension options etc than you g;ad;y paid for the Y2Y and additional RPO codes.

BTW, all 02 LS1s were LS6 blocks. They quit differentiating between the two. (I was told this by someone in Camaro div at GM)
No they were not all LS6 blocks. Some were but not all.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The vettes did not have a different cam at all, ALL LS1 motors are internally the exact same engine as they came from the factory. There is no difference at all except what someone may have spent on the car package the motor came in. The LS2 as it appears in the new vette is also the exact same motor that appears in the "GTO"/ Holden Monaro. No difference whatsoever except what you paid for the packaging that its wrapped in.

The LS1 cam was not a truck cam, but a cam that was designed for the LS1 as it appeared in the corvette and was used in the following Fbodies in 98. The truck series of the LS motors did not appear for some time until after both the vette and the Fbod had the LS motor.

Not all 2002 blocks are LS6 blocks . A percentage of the blocks in both 2001-2002 were LS6 blocks. That does not mean it was an LS6 engine, or that there was a power difference at all. The only difference regarding an Ls1 block and an LS6 block is the increased oil valleys and channels in the LS6 block. All else is the same.

This information has been proven time and time again, in countless threads and information available from GM.

The SS was a optional package that could be added to a Z28, therefore an SS is a Z28 that someone paid for certain options to be installed that were not available on a standard Z28, including a different spoiler, hood, 17" rims and tires, a different exhaust, different shocks, an auto trans cooler was available, and other additional trim options that said "SS". Engine wise, the engine is the same exact motor that was in a Z28 because an SS IS a Z28 with an additional option package, nothing more, nothing less. The only thing that differentiated these motors was the fact that someone paid more for one that said it had a 320 hp, someone paid less for one that said 305 hp, etc... nothing else was different inside these engines.

Last edited by Joker; 05-05-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

How do you tell if you have an LS6?
Old 05-05-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joker
Not all 2002 blocks are LS6 blocks . A percentage of the blocks in both 2001-2002 were LS6 blocks. That does not mean it was an LS6 engine, or that there was a power difference at all. The only difference regarding an Ls1 block and an LS6 block is the increased oil valleys and channels in the LS6 block. All else is the same.
According to someone high up at GM they were the same. They were cast in different plants and look slightly different on the outside, but in 02 they never made LS1 blocks. That's what I was told by someone considered one of the most knowledgeable on Fbodys
Old 05-07-2006, 11:41 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Lol, I should have quoted what I was talking about. The marketing tool was for corvettes over camaros. Not SLP HP packages. Sorry for the confusion.
Originally Posted by ssheets
Most dynoed higher, but it's beleived that GM wouldn't allow any Camaro to touch the 02 Vette base rating of 350hp.

Remeber these are net HP ratings which equates to about 290rwhp.