STS vs. Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS vs. Procharger

my friend just got a GTO and he is looking for a forced induction set-up-
BTW its an 04 M6
He is leaning towards an ATI procharger or an STS kit.

But i have been reading- the sts kit needs alot of extras- is the ATI procharger setup more complete as in the fuel system and what not?

I have seen on some of the procharger set-ups running 520+ whp on 10+ psi on just a fuel system- but as far as the sts- i havent seen any times so i cannot make an educated comparison- can anyone fill me in on these.

also what would you choose?
Old 05-03-2006, 05:20 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ATI ProCharger comes with the intercooler and all the related plumbing, and depending on which kit he buys, the injectors and a tune can be included. The ATI system does not offer a fuel pump upgrade. For $300.00, you can send us the fuel bucket assembly, and we will modify the bucket, install a Holley/Walbro forced induction fuel pump, and pressure test the combination.

Here is what I recommend:
ATI ProCharger D-1SC "tuner" kit. This kit will require the following items:
SVO 42 lb fuel injectors
Fuel Pump Upgrade
Fluidampr harmonic balancer - Optional but I recommend it.
Chassis Dyno Tune

With the above combination the GTO will be very quick, and will be very reliable. Bob
Old 05-03-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

how about all the exhaust parts you need to make the ATI perform?

STS includes that...

Just my $0.02
Old 05-03-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Here is what I recommend:
ATI ProCharger D-1SC "tuner" kit. This kit will require the following items:
SVO 42 lb fuel injectors
Fuel Pump Upgrade
Fluidampr harmonic balancer - Optional but I recommend it.
Chassis Dyno Tune

With the above combination the GTO will be very quick, and will be very reliable. Bob
/Agree
Old 05-03-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
how about all the exhaust parts you need to make the ATI perform?

STS includes that...

Just my $0.02
Huh? No other parts are required for the ATI kit to make its advertised increase. The nice thing about hotrodding is that there is always something to modify. Exhaust improvements on the supercharged GTO will allow it to make even more power, but its not required to see a dramatic power increase and you would want to retune if done at a later time to see the most improvement.

The STS includes some restrictive plumbing, both inlet and exhaust and the placement of the air filter under the car may preclude its use as a daily driver in states that see some snow and wetness. But hey I'm an admitted blower supporter.....also a turbo admirer when its done right.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:23 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I have a C6 in the project car section of my website that was bone stock. We dyno'ed it at 323 rwhp on my Mustang Chassis Dyno. This is the same LS2 engine that is in the '05-'06 GTO. We added an ATI ProCharger P-1SC-1 to the car, along with the supplied 42 lb injectors. We added a Boost a pump to the fuel system. No other mods, no exhaust work, nothing. We ended up with 470 rwhp. Bob
Old 05-04-2006, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

I like turbo set ups but I would go with the Procharger on this one. Your friend can even get a custom front mount intercooler instead of the 2 little ones for better performance. The STS kits seem nice, I myself have never owned a rear mounted kit. I would prefer a front mounted turbo if I went that route.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

I have a C6 in the project car section of my website that was bone stock. We dyno'ed it at 323 rwhp on my Mustang Chassis Dyno. This is the same LS2 engine that is in the '05-'06 GTO. We added an ATI ProCharger P-1SC-1 to the car, along with the supplied 42 lb injectors. We added a Boost a pump to the fuel system. No other mods, no exhaust work, nothing. We ended up with 470 rwhp. Bob

470rwhp... thats good..

Too bad STS twin turbo C6 kit put down 540rwhp on 7 psi.. that was Fidanza's new C6 shop car. just 42lb injectors and a tune.

Last edited by GR33N GoblinM6; 05-04-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just read the new car and driver or w/e magazine it is standing mile top speed- the GTO was putting dow 800+ whp on an STS set-up but blew a headgasket 3/4 of the way there and it cruised past the finish line @ 194mph- now i know its a totally built car and bored over and everything to 7 litres and all. but still an impressive showing from the sts set-up- he told me he would like a turbo just cause its different--------

does anyone make a complete turbo set-up like a conventional style set-up?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

conventional turbo for the GTO? umm.. i'm not sure. Might want to ask LS1speed, they do custom turbo's. Wont be cheap though..

check out Pontiac magazine.. the one with the black GTO on the cover.. STS turbo'd running deep 9's. A lot of GTO owners in the 10's.

We just had the 05-06 STS GTO with auto tranny dyno'd yesterday.. at 7psi.. made 517rwhp and 517rwtq. 5psi made 470rwhp. not bad.. those #'s and the dyno graph will be up on our site this week. 6 speed owners should see slightly better #'s
Old 05-05-2006, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

My 2005 GTO produced 460-something on the dyno @ 5psi...but on the road it produces 7 psi. On a VERY slick track it ran 12.3/119 w/ a manual tranny. Makes power, and just dial up the boost. The only downside is that there is a bit of delay in the spool up, but most of the time it really serves to keep the car hooked up.

Taking a car this big [and mine had a LOT of add'l sound deading + stereo + spare tire and everything else at that strip run] 119mph in a 1/4 is an exhibit of SERIOUS horsepower. Easily 500 at the wheels...
Old 05-05-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
470rwhp... thats good..

Too bad STS twin turbo C6 kit put down 540rwhp on 7 psi.. that was Fidanza's new C6 shop car. just 42lb injectors and a tune.
So we going to compare STS numbers to D1SC numbers? I have no problem with that.

I bet you that STS kit costs as much as the D1SC kit and headers combined too.

Either way they're going to make a bundle of power, I just think they should K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid) and the STS kit is a lot more invloved.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:09 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
470rwhp... thats good..

You can't compare different chassis dyno's for their numbers. Our Mustang Chassis Dyno is of the eddy current type. It will consistantly dyno lower than an unloaded dyno, such as a DynoJet. What you can compare is that we went from 323rwhp to 470rwhp, is is a really good increase. Bob
Old 05-06-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

You can't compare different chassis dyno's for their numbers. Our Mustang Chassis Dyno is of the eddy current type. It will consistantly dyno lower than an unloaded dyno, such as a DynoJet. What you can compare is that we went from 323rwhp to 470rwhp, is is a really good increase. Bob
Exactly. Well said Bob. Eddy Current Explained This is one of the ways we inspect parts in the jet and space industry.

It also generally explains how your dyno can be set to provide load where other dynos do not.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Bob knows his ****. and they do good work. +1 for ya there Bob. I put down 386rwhp on EPP's dyno and then when I moved to florida I went on a dynojet and made 423rwhp.

Well since we live in Florida and have not very many pot holes, I would probably lean toward the sts. don't have to worry about gound clearance.

Quick Reply: STS vs. Procharger