Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Homebuilt Turbo LT1 Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Homebuilt Turbo LT1 Project

Hey guys I was inspired the other day by a guy on junkyardturbos.com.
I want to do a homebuilt turbo system on an LT1. My current budget is 1500. This will be on a stock LT1, I only want to do around 6 psi. I also want room to expand to say 10 psi when I get my Fully Forged LT1.
What kinda turbo would you guys suggest?
Front Mount or Rear Mount?
How would I handle the exhaust manifold ordeal with a front mount?
If there are any single turbo LT1s on here please post pics
Old 05-02-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a couple buddies tht built turbo set ups on their own, the side costs really add up, T clamps, sislicon hose, things like that, they add up
Old 05-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at our Eco-Street Kit. With just the purchase of a turbo and possibly a BOV if your car is a stick, you'll be very close.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd be very close to what?
I know about all the small stuff adding up, and I think Ive compensated for that.
I have read your posts NOSjohn and although your prices are great I will not be buying a full kit from you but I would be very interested in purchasing odds and ends if you do that.
What kind of turbo you guys think?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Front mount MPT70 is probably your best bet on a budget. Fab'ing hot parts is alot of work, but possible if you want to save a few thousand. Get a small MIG machine, band saw, and side grinder. Price list should include:

Turbo
Wastegate
Boost controller
BOV optional
Piping
Silicone couplers and hose clamps
Exhaust side flanges and gaskets
Oil flange and gasket
Fuel system (T-rex booster or 255 lph intank)
PCM tuning
Old 05-03-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do the manifolds work, where do I mount it, How much did your homebuild run you?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
How do the manifolds work, where do I mount it, How much did your homebuild run you?
I'm using an SLP shorty on the passenger's side, crossover pipe under the torque converter, and a custom-built log header on the driver's side. The turbo is the same place as a Vortech, Powerdyne, or ATI supercharger. Lower driver's side front of engine. My homebuild was about $2500 not including the fuel system, intercooler, or computer tuning. That includes the T-76GTS turbo, flanges, piping, couplers, Tial 40mm wastegate, and a used set of SLP shorties.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

So the turbo only has to be on one cylinder bank?
I need pics, I'm new to the FI scene and I cant picture all this stuff in my head.
I'm kinda leaning towards a Rear Mount Kit just for ease of instalation and Im not really looking for any crazy power numbers for a while.
What turbo for a rear mount?
Any Pics? Anyone?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Restricted User

you can still use that master power turbo mentioned earlier in the thread for you're rear mount...im doin one and thats what i have...now the exhaust size of the turbo is what you're going to have to figure out.. regular sizes for the rear used on rear mounts are .68 (very quick spool supposedly but no top end power), then .81 (which is best "all around" housing for a stock motored car), then theres a .96 which should lag because it needs so much exhaust to spin it, but the top end power will carry as long as you need it to on these engines, or so ive heard..)

im sure someone will correct me if i got my assumptions and other info wrong..but from my research thats what iver got so far...

and if ur curious ive been setting up my custom rear mount for a lil while now, rear mount MPT70, tial wastegate(4-5psi spring for now), mocal oil pump for the return line to the oil pan, greddy type-s imitation blow off, flanges, gaskets, bla bla bla, ive spent about $1200 so far

i still need custom piping for intake charge and exhaust for dual tips, the silicone couplers for intake piping, the oil lines and fittings, injectors just in case stocks arent enough$, TUNING$$ and thats basically it...but i know, it all adds up in the end.. im just happy that im basically spending about a couple grand less than most of the high end big name kits that are out there now..i might be saving even more than a couple grand now that i think about it..anyways lol

hope this helps, good luck
Old 05-04-2006, 05:59 AM
TECH Addict

So the turbo only has to be on one cylinder bank?
Nope. The crossover pipe connects the right bank to the log.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fenix99
you can still use that master power turbo mentioned earlier in the thread for you're rear mount...im doin one and thats what i have...now the exhaust size of the turbo is what you're going to have to figure out.. regular sizes for the rear used on rear mounts are .68 (very quick spool supposedly but no top end power), then .81 (which is best "all around" housing for a stock motored car), then theres a .96 which should lag because it needs so much exhaust to spin it, but the top end power will carry as long as you need it to on these engines, or so ive heard..)

im sure someone will correct me if i got my assumptions and other info wrong..but from my research thats what iver got so far...

and if ur curious ive been setting up my custom rear mount for a lil while now, rear mount MPT70, tial wastegate(4-5psi spring for now), mocal oil pump for the return line to the oil pan, greddy type-s imitation blow off, flanges, gaskets, bla bla bla, ive spent about $1200 so far

i still need custom piping for intake charge and exhaust for dual tips, the silicone couplers for intake piping, the oil lines and fittings, injectors just in case stocks arent enough$, TUNING$$ and thats basically it...but i know, it all adds up in the end.. im just happy that im basically spending about a couple grand less than most of the high end big name kits that are out there now..i might be saving even more than a couple grand now that i think about it..anyways lol

hope this helps, good luck

Exactly where is the turbo mounted? Would you mind posting some pics or maybe sending them to lovestheladies06@aol.com.
Also what kind of exhuast do you have? DO you have an aftermarket cat-back, headers?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Restricted User

I'd be very close to what?
I know about all the small stuff adding up, and I think Ive compensated for that.
I have read your posts NOSjohn and although your prices are great I will not be buying a full kit from you but I would be very interested in purchasing odds and ends if you do that.
What kind of turbo you guys think?
You'll be close to being done with your car and firing it up. Making a kit is alot of work, if you want to take it upon yourself, that is commendable. It is alot of fun gathering the parts and seeing how it all comes together.

In the long run though, you save time (researching, calling around for parts, checking best prices, etc.), money (as most don't know what they need, so they buy extra, parts not needed, etc) and the hassle.

Again, our Eco-Street kit ($1,750.00) comes with everything you need (piping and flanges already welded, 02 bungs, all mandrel bent, silicone couplers, clamps and instructions), minus turbo and BOV if your car is an M6. Buy your turbo, bolt it up ...and go !

Either way, good luck and you'll be happy you went FI.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

We'll be done with mine this weekend.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

NOSjohn - do you offer LT1 pipes then?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Restricted User

We offer the entire hot side only, no seperation of pieces. This way, the customer doesn't get frustrated and/or lost making the remainder of the hot side.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Can you post pics of your LT1 hot side setup?

We're about to make a new LT1 hot pipe set for a 93 Z28 but if I can get one pre-fabbed that is good quality that would save us a little time for sure

Just post the pics up here.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
We offer the entire hot side only, no seperation of pieces. This way, the customer doesn't get frustrated and/or lost making the remainder of the hot side.
I'm also curious as to the layout of this kit. Between the TTi, PTK, and STS, I really can't think of any other ways to do it.

Quick Reply: Homebuilt Turbo LT1 Project