Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What the f*ck?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What the f*ck?!

Ok so I am practically done with my car. I got the motor rebuilt, all new bottom end, etc... Put the tranny back in with the clutch, bled the hell out of it, and was taking it out for a drive. Well driving around town normally, not hauling ***, the car goes into every gear like butter. Now when I try to haul *** and go WOT, some things happened. The first time I tried I was in 1st, stabbed it, went to grab 2nd, and the car straight would not take 2nd gear...The next try, in 1st again, I stabbed it. This time it wouldn't come out of first gear until I slowed down...I tried to go from 2nd to 3rd at WOT, and it did a little sketchy. It went from 3rd to 4th at WOT a little sketchy too, but I think thats just missing the gear slot a little bit from not driving the car from so long as compared from 1st to 2nd. But after all of that, it still went into every gear perfectly normal driving.

Any advice? Oh I have a Centerforce DF clutch, replaced the Master Cyl. and Throw Out bearing with it, and have a pro 5.0 shifter.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Advice? You should've never bought a Centerforce DF (I speak from experience with Centerforce DF clutch). Just my opinion though as I don't want to start another Centerforce argument.

Was the master cyl. an updated 01-02? Drill mod might help. Did you resurface your fly wheel if you reused the stocker?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For whatever reason, that clutch is not releasing . Could be a break-in clearance is not there yet or??? . How sure are you the parts were balanced?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a brand new centerforce and as caliSS said did you update the master and slave cylinders? It sounds like your clutch is slipping or is getting fused to the flywheel. They same thign would happen to me on my stock clutch when it was dying on me and slipping real bad...
Old 05-03-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

If you need a new clutch id suggest an ls7/ls2 combo, i have 300+ miles on mine and it drives like the stocker, has stock pedal feel, no chatter, and grips like hell. Plus I paid under 600 for the whole combo.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Brand new both times, new slave both times, I have a 2002 so no need for new master, and had drill mod done. First one crapped out on me within 1,000 miles. Got a replacement which lasted, but it started slipping after about 10k miles. I just didn't like the feel or performance of the centerforce however, that's my opinion.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Was the master cyl. an updated 01-02? Drill mod might help. Did you resurface your fly wheel if you reused the stocker?
I don't know if the master cyl. was an 01-02. I can try to find out. Yes the flywheel was resurfaced.

For whatever reason, that clutch is not releasing . Could be a break-in clearance is not there yet or??? . How sure are you the parts were balanced?
The flywheel was balanced and all that by a highly respected local shop.

I don't think the clutch is bad. I mean normal driving it feels fine, no slipping, nothing.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

The master cyl. was out of a 2002 WS6.

Also the clutch isn't getting hot enough to be fused to the flywheel. It happens like the first pass, not after a few...
Old 05-03-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm do you have enough tranny fluid in there? Do you get a distinct clutch smell when that happens? If so then it is def slipping. My stock clutch was fine under normal driving conditions but when i was beating on the car and shifting hard id have the same symptoms as your describing. The car wouldnt want to shift into gear and the pedal would stick to the floor a little/clutch wouldnt want to disengage from the flywheel right away. However, once I started driving normal again it would engage fine. Slowly afetr that though ti would slip more and more under hard driving but felt fine when driving normal. When i finally took it to get the new clutch installed and looked at it the entire clutch was trash and I had no idea.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know what a burned clutch smells and feels like. I trashed my stock one when I used my dry nitrous and bolt ons so I would def. know if the clutch was bad. It was out like 2 weeks ago. Everything is fine.

We are gonna replace that o ring lookin thing in there soon. See if that helps.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1320Kid
I know what a burned clutch smells and feels like. I trashed my stock one when I used my dry nitrous and bolt ons so I would def. know if the clutch was bad. It was out like 2 weeks ago. Everything is fine.

We are gonna replace that o ring lookin thing in there soon. See if that helps.

Oh ok, haha yea I just wasnt sure, not trying to insult your car knowledge or anything. Yea I replaced my pilot bearing which i believe is the little o-ring thing, that might do it, keep us updated though and hope you solve your issue soon.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

No insult taken. Thanks Ill keep you up to par.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds more like the clutch is not releasing when at high RPM/loads. How much did they remove when the flywheel was resurfaced? Unless they removed quite a lot of material I would not think it would create issues.
Does this clutch system apply extra force as the RPM's increase? This might explain why it would only happen at higher RPM's.
Just a few thoughts/questions I had after reading this thread.