General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Iridium Spark Plugs (Tune Up)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iridium Spark Plugs (Tune Up)

I plan on doing a makeshift tune up, until I can take afford to take my car to dealer to get serviced(they always find an extra 2-300 dollars worth of stuff you absolutely need). I went to ebay to price spark plugs regalur NGK spark plugs are $18 plus shipping, the Iridium(sp) plugs are $55 plus shipping whats the difference? and for someone thats just trying to get their car running at 100% is it really worth the extra cash? Also whats the advantage of using higher price Royal Purple over a cheaper synthetic with Lucas?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:44 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

JUST get TR55's and gap @35. You can do it yourself in like an hour, just replace your fuel filter too. MSD wires...If youre in FL, I have a few LS1 customers and would be happy to help, good luck.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
JUST get TR55's and gap @35. You can do it yourself in like an hour, just replace your fuel filter too. MSD wires...If youre in FL, I have a few LS1 customers and would be happy to help, good luck.
No I'm in So Cal, I'm on a budget how much would a fuel filter be? I'm going to Seafoam the enigine, tank, oil...then after a week put the plugs & wires on and probably take it to jiffy lube for the the oil change. I live in So Cal it's never less than 40 degrees so I'm thinking 10W-30 any suggestions?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iridium = junk stay away. Just get platinums if your not gonna use nitrous and dont wanna do plugs aghain for a while. As long as your motors in good shape and not burning oil they will last along time. ZIf your gonna possibly spray it or are maybe burning some oil or just wanna save some $ and dont mind changing em again in 20K miles or so get some NGKs. TR55 or TR6
Old 05-03-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are doing a budget tune up (in this order):

SeaFoam ($10) (in oil, fuel, brake booster)
Fuel Filter ($10)
NGK TR 55's ($15)
Oil of your choice and filter ($20-50)
Old 05-03-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ngk Tr60
Old 05-04-2006, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Gap @ 35???
Old 05-04-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Damn that's a small gap. Is his car stock or do you know something about it that we don't?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

I gap mine at 55
Old 05-05-2006, 03:52 AM
TECH Junkie

I think the Iridiums are absoutely great...I have yet to see why people are afraid of them. They perform BETTER than the normal carbon plugs.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flyin red TA
Damn that's a small gap. Is his car stock or do you know something about it that we don't?
Yeah I just noticed that when I read through the post again. If you are stock gap them at 0.55"

And TR55's are fine for a stock car, unless you want to change them alot.

Stock plug wires are fine as well. If it isnt broke dont fix it right? I have had nothing but problems with aftermarket wires. Back to stocks w/out a problem.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

No I'm in So Cal, I'm on a budget how much would a fuel filter be? I'm going to Seafoam the enigine, tank, oil...then after a week put the plugs & wires on and probably take it to jiffy lube for the the oil change. I live in So Cal it's never less than 40 degrees so I'm thinking 10W-30 any suggestions?
Your gonna Seafoam your engine, and change your plugs and wires. But your gonna take your car to Jiffy lube to change the oil? Dont let some non-mechanic 17 year old kid touch your car at Jiffy Lube. Do your own oil, its easy, alot easyer than changing plugs.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
I think the Iridiums are absoutely great...I have yet to see why people are afraid of them. They perform BETTER than the normal carbon plugs.

I use them here too. They are great and last alot longer then the others out there. My car is cammed and run them @ .050.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Went "all out" and got the Iridiums. I did notice a difference between these and the crap bosch plugs that were in there before.

The irdiums are great plugs, I would highly recommend them.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Banned

I've heard from some people that if the engine wasn't designed for Iridium plugs from the factory, then it won't run optimally with them installed. Perhaps its just a rumor, but I've been told to use whatever type comes in the car from the factory. So if it comes with Platinums then use those, or if its an older car with resistor plugs then use them.

Perhaps thats nonsense though, if you guys are having good luck with the Iridiums, thats cool. I may try them myself, more power and better fuel economy are always a good thing
Old 05-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Launching!

I had the iridiums in my old 4.6 and it ran MUCH better
Old 05-07-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
I've heard from some people that if the engine wasn't designed for Iridium plugs from the factory, then it won't run optimally with them installed. Perhaps its just a rumor, but I've been told to use whatever type comes in the car from the factory. So if it comes with Platinums then use those, or if its an older car with resistor plugs then use them.

Perhaps thats nonsense though, if you guys are having good luck with the Iridiums, thats cool. I may try them myself, more power and better fuel economy are always a good thing
Probably just old school myth, I change my plugs every summer so I just go with copper...iridium would probably be the same as platinum with spray so I don't plan on trying that.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vipermike2002
Your gonna Seafoam your engine, and change your plugs and wires. But your gonna take your car to Jiffy lube to change the oil? Dont let some non-mechanic 17 year old kid touch your car at Jiffy Lube. Do your own oil, its easy, alot easyer than changing plugs.
I'm not exactly a do-it-yourself car guy it's just that I dont know when the last owner last did anything to the car, and I'm getting beat by 14 second Sentra's so I have to do something. My Neighbor who's a little more car savvy agreed to help me changed out the plugs and wires(if not I'll pay the 25/hr at the lot I purchased the car from) and what would I do with a bunch of used oil? The Seafoam is the only thing that defeats me...Throttle body? Brake booster line? PVC? it may as well be Japanese but I'll read up on it and figure it out.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use the Denso Iridiums... No problems here.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1QuickBlkZ28
I'm not exactly a do-it-yourself car guy it's just that I dont know when the last owner last did anything to the car, and I'm getting beat by 14 second Sentra's so I have to do something. My Neighbor who's a little more car savvy agreed to help me changed out the plugs and wires(if not I'll pay the 25/hr at the lot I purchased the car from) and what would I do with a bunch of used oil? The Seafoam is the only thing that defeats me...Throttle body? Brake booster line? PVC? it may as well be Japanese but I'll read up on it and figure it out.
You basically just need to find a local place that takes used oil. Most Autozones will dispose of it at no charge, and some WalMarts will even take it.

Put the Seafoam in the brake booster line, it works there. That way it gets sucked directly into the engine, where it can clean it thoroughly of carbon buildup and any other junk. It will smoke like crazy, but thats normal, so don't worry about it