Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

detail experts in here....

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detail experts in here....

i want to get my paint looking the best it can...

my car is a 99 with NO dents and only Few SMALL scratches, i was hoping to maybe get rid of those with some scratch X and im hoping i can work it in my rutine somehow...anyways i want someone to put it in the easiest way possible the right way to fully detail paint on a car...i have seen post like this in the past but they all are for people who already know what they are talkin about...you know what i mean...like people say well use polish, then wax then blah blah blah...well i want you to basically do the same with the steps and the PRODUCT name and everything that you use...oh and i dont care about brand to much but i am currently using NXT as my wax...BUT i have heard NXT is really a polish so thats got me even more confused...so yea if u guys would do that for me id be really happy
Old 05-05-2006, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Heres what I know about scratches if the fingernail does not catch or breaks the clear coat you can get them out. I buff scratches out with 3 m perfect-it II rubbing compound, Zaino Z-PC Fusion & 3m perfect-it II #39009 swirl remover glaze. I always try to use least abrasive first. Before I buff I wash car down, dry car, clay car,wash car again, dry car. After I buffing car, wash again, dry car gloss car Zaino Z-6 & Zaino Z-2. I use Zaino products religiously on my cars. There are a lot of people here who will give you information & what type of products they use.

Last edited by DavidH426; 05-05-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

are you doing this by hand or PC? Useful info for us to help you out.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is a good question. Are you going to machine polish the ride or are you trying to do it by hand?
I will say that Scratch X is good for taking off very minor blemishes, but won't get rid of all the scratches. Something to try that would be safe if you have never used a rotary buffer is get an orbital buffer (one you can get at an auto parts place for like $20.00- 30.00), a microfiber bonnet, and some Meguiar's Swirl-Free 2.0 (No.9) and experiment with that.
I know that Zanio is a product you can use by hand, so give that a try.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

good info guys...i am doin this all by hand...but i do have a buffer,,not sure what kind, it does go around in a circle it kinda just vibrates it that helps u out any....

BUT what i was really lookin for is someone to tell me the STEPS and all to get the show car looks like most of yall rides...EXAMPLE:

1.wash..dawn
2.claybar...mothers claybar
3.polish...Turtle wax Ice (dont plan on using but thats the only brand of "polish i know"
4.Wash
5...wax...NXT
6...ect..

The following steps might be wrong i dunno but thats what im lookin for...the step u guys take and the brand of stuff u use..im new to this and dont know **** about what all to use...sorry for being such a newbie
Old 05-06-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Invest in a PC 7424, if you want to take out swirls/scratches, your arms will thank you.
Anyway here's what I do
wash- meguires car wash soap (with a sheepskin mitt)
clay- blue coral clay bar (lube is a cap full of Z7 and water in a spray bottle)
polish- menzerna intensive polish on an orange sonus pad
final ploish menzerna final polish on a blue sonus pad
wash-meguires soap and a sheepskin mitt
dry- electric leaf blower, and some microfiber towels to get any the leaf blower doesn't get
seal-menzerna FMJ, microfiber applicator, and a dragon microfiber polishing cloth to buff it
detail spray- Zaino Z6, microfiber towel
windows-stoners invisible glass and old newspaper
interior- NXT on the plastic, meguires cleaner and conditioner on the leather
carpet/mats-vacumm, steam clean, bissel steam cleaner
wheels-FMJ and Z6 (mine are painted you may use something else depending on what type of finish you have)
tires-black magic tire spray
Engine/engine bay-gunk foamy engine brite, with a light mist of water to rinse it off, go over the plastic with NXT, rubber hoses gets Armor all
This will usually take a weekend to do, but this is the first cleaning before the show season starts, after that, it's just a question of maintaining the car in that condition, and that usually involves just washing/drying and vacumming, and cleaning the inside as needed
Old 05-06-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanx dude thats Exactly what i was lookin for....nice post bro
Old 05-08-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

would it be ok to...
wash...nxt car wash
dry
use scratch X
use a coat of Meguiar's Gold Class
Then a coat of NXT wax

or should the NXT come befor the Gold Class or what?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SVThis
would it be ok to...
wash...nxt car wash
dry
use scratch X
Then a coat of NXT wax

I wouldn't use both Gold Class and NXT. NXT has some cleaning capabilities, so if you put that over anything else, it's going to remove some of the previous product. It sounds like you might like to try a glaze between your polish and sealing steps, in which case you should really look at a dedicated glaze (3M and Meguiars both make decent products for this). Even so, if you put NXT over a glaze, the NXT will remove some of it, so you might be better off with Gold Class, of the products you have listed.

-Mike
Old 05-08-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SVThis
would it be ok to...
wash...nxt car wash
dry
use scratch X
Then a coat of NXT wax

For your last step I'd use the gold class, and call it good, as chup0cabra said the nxt has some cleaning ability, so if you put that on the GC, you'll just take the wax off.
Gold Class is one of the better looking waxes (at least ones you can get from the local store), half the fun is experimenting with the different products to come up with a combo that looks good to you