Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is this a third gear problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a third gear problem?

I've read a little doing a search.

What my car does...I just did an A4 to M6 swap with a 34,000 mile transmission, carfax certified mileage at wreck.

At first no problems. Now that I got used to it, it's been popping out of third a lot while just driving and not thinking about it. If I think about it and really put it in third good it's fine, when I drive it hard it's fine.

It has no cags.

What could it be?
Old 05-07-2006, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

try checking the adjustment bolts on the shifter. Make sure that they have a little extra space there.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

My M6 has the same problem.. its only got 12k babied miles on it.. for some reason it doesnt feel like 3rd goes as far into its "slot" as the other gears..

**EDIT* mine only happens when trying to select 3rd and letting the clutch out.. Never just random during crusing
Old 05-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Y2K SS
try checking the adjustment bolts on the shifter. Make sure that they have a little extra space there.
It's a stock shifter with no adjustment bolts, it does have a short stick.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by H8 LUZN
My M6 has the same problem.. its only got 12k babied miles on it.. for some reason it doesnt feel like 3rd goes as far into its "slot" as the other gears..

**EDIT* mine only happens when trying to select 3rd and letting the clutch out.. Never just random during crusing
Mine does the same thing and has since I got it with 8k miles on it. It might have something to do with the syncros but I have no idea. I find if I hold the shifter into third when letting the clutch out it does fine.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

mine does the same thing but only when i first start driving, it seems once the tranny warms up it stays in much better, and usually it only pops out when slowing down, not when accelerating, is that what you guys experience too?
Old 05-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jeep0084
mine does the same thing but only when i first start driving, it seems once the tranny warms up it stays in much better, and usually it only pops out when slowing down, not when accelerating, is that what you guys experience too?
Mine does it when I'm just cruising, once I shift into third and let the clutch out it pops out of gear. That gets my attention so after it happens I just push it in third a little harder and it'll stay.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This problem starts when you get a bent shift fork. Factory tranny has an aluminum fork. Upgrade the the Viper shift fork.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:48 AM
Banned

Bent shift fork, interesting. I guess it all depends on who you ask. Read this question I posted not long ago.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regardless of who you believe, this is a well known and hashed -to - death problem. Mileage is not a real factor in the damage of the 3/4 aluminum fork,but , rather, how hard the transmission was shifted or correctly shifted within those miles. It is entirely possible to damage a fork and cause the jump out( and eventually a stuck in gear incident) with in a few missed shifts. It is also likely that any T56 that has been shifted hard regularly will manifest the 3rd and fourth gear problem. Poor installation/ design / adjustment of aftermarket shifters can aggrevate / accelerate the onset of incidents.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by calhoon
Regardless of who you believe, this is a well known and hashed -to - death problem. Mileage is not a real factor in the damage of the 3/4 aluminum fork,but , rather, how hard the transmission was shifted or correctly shifted within those miles. It is entirely possible to damage a fork and cause the jump out( and eventually a stuck in gear incident) with in a few missed shifts. It is also likely that any T56 that has been shifted hard regularly will manifest the 3rd and fourth gear problem. Poor installation/ design / adjustment of aftermarket shifters can aggrevate / accelerate the onset of incidents.
I realize and hate to bring up a beat to death question but no matter how many times it was asked there is always information thats specific to only one persons problem (or so that one person thinks).

I think I'm just not paying attention or something.
When I first got it running it worked fine but probaly because it was new (to me) and I was having fun driving it. Drove around 500-800 miles maybe with no problems. That tells me the trans should be ok.

Now I get to the point where I just drive without really paying attention and this is when it sometimes pops out. If I make an effort to push it up all the way it never pops out. I also drive an S10 with a 2 foot long stick maybe I'm too used to driving that.

How much do shops generally charge to install just the shift fork?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not installing the fork that they get you on. It's the removal and reinstallation of the tranny that gets them their money. If you pull the tranny yourself. I'd say around $250 total.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
It's not installing the fork that they get you on. It's the removal and reinstallation of the tranny that gets them their money. If you pull the tranny yourself. I'd say around $250 total.
Thats not bad $250 plus shipping I'd assume. I did the entire A4 to M6 swap plus rear gears so I got that covered.

I need the shift fork so I can beat on it and break the rear.