General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

T/A Injector cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool T/A Injector cleaning

Does anyone know how much it cost to get fuel injectors cleaned?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's $129 at the GMC Dealership I work at. Some side shops are a little cheaper. I use Chevron Techron in the black bottle. Pour that in a full tank of fuel, it has solved all my issues except the really really badly sticking injectors. (thats also the cleaner GM Recommends)
Old 05-09-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Personally I use SeaFoam. Why do you feel they need cleaning? Or just doing preventitive maintenance?
Old 05-09-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

go to autozone and get a lil organge bottle.. forgot the name of it. but itz round 7-8 bucks..
Old 05-09-2006, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

car acts like has a sticky injector...sometimes it will run perfect and then will act like its loadin up.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Launching!

talking about RXP? in little bottle?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mailman2000
talking about RXP? in little bottle?

yeah thatz it... that stuff works.. ~!!
Old 05-09-2006, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

RXP is the God of additives. I wont use ANYTHING, else!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Injector Cleaning

Those additives are not worth much IMHO... The best way to get injectors clean (I KNEW mine needed it with 175k on these in the pic) is to remove them and send them off to get done.

The guy that did these 175k DSM injectors did not just run some cleaner through them and then hope for the best. He REPLACED all of the seals, o-rings, pintle caps, and filter baskets with NEW parts and flow tested these both before they were serviced and after they were done. (The pics below are of the cleaned injectors, the dirty 175k injectors, and the flow sheet)

Results are in the flow sheet he sent me with the injectors. Frank also bagged up all of the parts he removed for replacement and returned them as well... Awesome work from this guy for a big whopping $20.00 per injector...

How well do you think those 'pour in' cleaners are going to work? and a better question is; What happens if the 'pour in' cleaner does get some stuff loose when that 'stuff' gets to the filter basket?

It will stay there on the basket and possibly reduce flow even more.

My advice would be to, spend a few more minutes removing them and get them cleaned correctly the first time.
Attached Thumbnails T/A Injector cleaning-fuel-injectors-spare-007.jpg   T/A Injector cleaning-plugs-injectors-009.jpg   T/A Injector cleaning-injectorclinic2.jpg   T/A Injector cleaning-spare-injectors-rail-005.jpg  

Last edited by BigDaddyZ28; 05-10-2006 at 06:10 AM. Reason: added pic of completed fuel rail assembly
Old 05-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

how hard was it to remove your injectors? im not downplaying the benefits, but im wondering how much more work it is than just pouring in a bottle?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigBas83
how hard was it to remove your injectors? im not downplaying the benefits, but im wondering how much more work it is than just pouring in a bottle?
The point that I was trying to make was that, IF you manage to 'loosen' any deposits that you may have in your fuel system with this 'pour-in' cleaner and IF they manage to make it past your fuel filter, then they will likely just get caught up in your fuel injector's filter basket and further reduce your flow of fuel (not helping you much). If you look close at the pics of the old junk that the injector 'rebuilder' sent back you can see the little filters. They were definitely trash in my case. Yours may not be as bad, depending on your mileage, These DID come off of a 175k car... But the filter baskets in your injectors WILL catch trash and deposits. That is what they are designed to do.

On the DSM that these came off, it was a 7 bolt part swap for me. 2 for the the fuel pressure regulator (on the right of the rail), 2 for the fuel line (on the left of the rail), and 3 holding the rail to the head. I swapped the entire assembly vs. just individual injectors and saved time. 15 min swap.

The Helms manual for our Camaro and Firebird cars also tends to go into detail about removing parts as an 'assembly' and not as individual pieces.
(Without a doubt the greatest manual I have ever owned, Well worth the $$$)

Injectors and/or the fuel rail are not hard to remove... And the difference in the quality of the service is worth it IMO.

I hope some of this helps someone out.

Quick Reply: T/A Injector cleaning