Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

paintless dent removal: go or no?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paintless dent removal: go or no?

i dont have a fbody anymore but all the audi forums suck

some ******* dropped his motorcycle on my passenger door at the gas station and took off so now i have 2 baseball size dents in my car and i dont feel like paying 800+ to get my door fixed and repainted. has anyone used any of those paintless dent removal companies before and if so did it work and get the car perfectly flush or can you still see where it got smashed in? thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

I've heard nothing but good things about those companies unless the dent was creased. Then your in a little bit of trouble depending. If it's not creased and you don't want to pay any cash. deflate a ball of some sort, lower it into your car door with the window down and slowly inflate it untill the dent comes out. That alway's worked for me and my dad.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

haha that sounds super ghetto but brilliant at the same time. ill try that out.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

It can be pretty damn flush if the guy doing it is good.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lt1FBoDy209
haha that sounds super ghetto but brilliant at the same time. ill try that out.
Just make sure you don't infalte it too much, You'll end up having a dent protruding from the car and will look super wierd. If there is paint damage though, just have one of the repair shops do it, they'll fix the dent flush AND paint it for you. No harm, no foul unless they did a suck job of it. My dad did it to one of his buddies Z28's when he took it sidway's into a snow bank. I also did that when I took my friends Grand Prix into a snow bank, just whippin shitties though, no harm no foul.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

it shouldnt be bigger than the size of a softball, otherwise they wont be able to do it well.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

I have seen some paintless dent removal guys work some miracles on dents before and I have also seen some that looked just as bad when they finished as when they started. I have also seen cars where the backside of the panel had rusted after a year or so because in the process of taking the dent out, they scratched all the paint off the backside and didn't spray any paint back on it.

Bottom line, make sure you look at some of their work before you let them start working on it and make sure you get some paint (spray bomb would be fine) on the backside if it gets scratched in the process to prevent rust.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy I used got the 8 hail dents out of my black T/A, and I can't tell where they were, and you know how much black shows any little defect.
I chose the shop based on what they did to a black Cadillac, the whole hood was peppered with hail damage, the trunk lid (that they had just finished) looked like it was brand new
Old 05-08-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Ive had it done to my truck. Someone punched it right in the side of the bed the day I got it at my girlfriends apartment. You could see the knuckle marks. You couldn't even tell after it was done. I never found the guy who did it so I could give him some knuckle marks in his face to match the ones he put in my truck.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I had about a dozen or so small door dings removed by paintless dent removal. The guy charged me $75 per panel to do it, which I thought was a helluva deal.

Now, bear in mind, they had to drill a small (0.5") hole on the inside of each door jamb, which they filled with a grommet when they were done. This is a huge turn-off for some people, but it doesn't bother me. If that thought bothers you, find a place that will do it by taking off the body panel and working from the inside out (or do that ball thing mentioned earlier). The thing I like about the holes they drilled is that if I ever need to go back and get more dings popped out, the holes will already be there and it won't take as long, whereas a shop that doesn't drill will need to remove the panel all over again.

Just my $0.02.

-Mike
Old 05-09-2006, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had two little dents removed by a paintless dent guy round here. I cant tell they were ever there. Definately $$ well spent. Softball size is a little bigger tho. Just see what the guy says. He should be able to tell you how well it'll come out before he starts. BTW, I found ways both times for my guy to get at the dents with out drilling.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had it done when my car was at the body shop getting my rear quarter repaired. I was very pleased with how well they came out. One dent if you look closely you can see little divets where the pick was used but the rest are fine. I was told that another dent i have right behind the passenger door where the molding runs on a TA could not be removed. The dent was virtually un noticable until i removed the molding now i can see it and will have to get a second opinion.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Teching In

i am currently going to their school.....they can do it, and it will look awesome.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Launching!

I have often heard a plunger will work. Never tried it but you never know??
Old 06-30-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know where to find one of these miracle workers. I am in Goldsboro NC. I have maybe 6 hail dents from when I was in California. You can ONLY SEE THEM IF YOU ARE LOOKING DOWN THE LINES OF THE CAR. Do you think that they can fix them. No creases. Oh and my buddy lost (totaled) his Explorer, civic and his Gixxer in that storm. I got lucky. HEHE
Old 06-30-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beasst8
Does anyone know where to find one of these miracle workers. I am in Goldsboro NC. I have maybe 6 hail dents from when I was in California. You can ONLY SEE THEM IF YOU ARE LOOKING DOWN THE LINES OF THE CAR. Do you think that they can fix them. No creases. Oh and my buddy lost (totaled) his Explorer, civic and his Gixxer in that storm. I got lucky. HEHE
They should be able to fix them fine, as for where to find them, you can call your insurance company, they can tell you who they use, or look in the phone book, or ask your co workers where they went after the storm
If you want to judge how well they do try to find a black or dark colored car to look at
Old 07-01-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by minty
it shouldnt be bigger than the size of a softball, otherwise they wont be able to do it well.
Not true. Experienced techs can do wonders on larger damage.

Quick Reply: paintless dent removal: go or no?