Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing LS6 intake ...reuse gaskets??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing LS6 intake ...reuse gaskets??

Well, I recently purchased a LS6 intake manifold from a fellow member here in LS1tech.com, but they didn't come with the manifold gaskets.

So, has anybody had issues with reusing the gaskets from the old LS1 manifold? Or should I just bite the bullet and purchase the $72 gaskets?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

O rings? Comp makes a set that's better than factory and dirt cheap.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Gaskets? You shouldn't need any to do a swap.

How do you like the G1? How much did you gain with it's install?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

It's the same gasket kit. I bought new ones just because I wanted to. However, there should be no issues using the old ones provided they're not torn.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Comp lists their gaskets as being for a FAST intake. Are the LS1/LS6 gaskets the same as the ones used for a FAST intake??
Old 05-10-2006, 09:21 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Yes reuse the ones off your old intake. the guy you bought the manifold from probley reused those for his FAST.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Comp lists them as an "Intake Seal Kit - LS1".

http://www.compcams.com/technical/Ca...106-07/359.pdf

The only difference is that the FAST intake gasket CHANNEL is cathedral like the port. Stock intake gasket CHANNELS are rectangular. When you buy a FAST manifold, you're supposed to reuse your old seals and just conform them to the CHANNEL in the FAST. To my knowledge, all of the intake GASKETS are rectangular o-rings.

*Capitalized for clarity
Old 05-10-2006, 10:58 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BYUNSpeed sells the Comp manifold gasket kit for $32. Bought some from them and recieved them in less than a week. One guy started a thread asking about them, then found them to be IDENTICAL to the gray GM gaskets (comp's are red).

I have a set waiting to go on my FAST.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:08 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys. I'll just use the old intake gaskets for now.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Taken from, "How To Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s", by Will Handzel:

Text is found on page 98, under step #42, which happens to be the step where the LS6 intake is being installed:

"This brings up a good point: don't reuse any Gen III V-8 gaskets because they are all of the compression-carrier design. This means the aluminum surface of the gasket takes the torquing load to control how much compression the embedded silicon sealing surfaces experience. This maximizes sealing control and minimizes the need for re-torquing to maintain the clamping load - but they are one-use items."

I can see his point with the front and rear engine cover, and oil pan gaskets, as those are of the compression-carrier design, but as stated above, the intake is sealed with "O"-Rings, so I don't know why the author chose that particular point in the reassembly process to make his point about compression-carrier design gasket reuse. Go figure......

Even so, and I know I'm in the minority here, when it comes to gaskets, seals, belts, etc., I don't cheap-out, and reuse the old ones. But that's just me. The ONLY part I've reused, are exhaust manifold bolts when installing headers. And that's if I do the job with the engine in the car. When I re-assemble my engine (it's outta the car), I have a set of ARP header studs waiting. Not that I ever had a problem reusing the stockers, but WTF, as long as I have such easy access to the headers, I'll use the studs.

Quick Reply: Installing LS6 intake ...reuse gaskets??