Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 drag racing suspension questions???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 07:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 drag racing suspension questions???

I was wondering about drag suspension for the C5 that will pop up my front end and plant the weight on the rear wheels to improve my 60' times at the track.

How bad will this type of suspension affect its streetability? I don't road race or haul *** around corners that much , but I do drive it around town sometimes. My car isn't cutting the best 60' times (1.7's are the best on DR's)

Lastly, how hard will it be to install a suspension like this and what will something like this cost?

Thanks!!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a Z06, or Z51 suspension car, you can change the rear spring to that of regular suspended C5...the softest suspension package(don't know the name)

...also, some adjustable shocks would probably be your very best bet. That way, you could change the stiffness of the suspension my a simple ***. Soft for the strip, stiff for the street. This would probably be your best bet, even by itself.

.2cents.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
If you have a Z06, or Z51 suspension car, you can change the rear spring to that of regular suspended C5...the softest suspension package(don't know the name)

...also, some adjustable shocks would probably be your very best bet. That way, you could change the stiffness of the suspension my a simple ***. Soft for the strip, stiff for the street. This would probably be your best bet, even by itself.

.2cents.
I do have the Z51 suspension, but my car is lowered! I would like to just add some adjustable shocks like you mentioned and be done with it!

And the adjustable shocks you speak of..........are they just for the back or are they for the front as well? Could I just get the adjustable shocks and have a good weight transfer for launching?

And lastly..........how much for them and where can I get some? I looked at LG site and they didn't have anything. At least that I could find!

Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should help you http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm...ory=Suspension

I'd get the r series for the front and the standard 12 way for the rear.

Wow, wierd how vette parts are more expensive and they are basically the same thing. 249.99 for one front shock. 189.99 for an f-body of the same thing.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:16 AM
9 Second Club

There is not a whole lot that can be done supsensionwise to transfer weight.

As mentioned, adjustable shocks is a start
Also removing front sway bar might help a little, I ditched mine many years ago and street driving is not hurt unless you plan devilish turns.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:17 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 777
This should help you [url]...
Wow, wierd how vette parts are more expensive and they are basically the same thing. 249.99 for one front shock. 189.99 for an f-body of the same thing.

We call it the "Corvette Tax"
Old 05-11-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00Vette
I do have the Z51 suspension, but my car is lowered! I would like to just add some adjustable shocks like you mentioned and be done with it!

And the adjustable shocks you speak of..........are they just for the back or are they for the front as well? Could I just get the adjustable shocks and have a good weight transfer for launching?

And lastly..........how much for them and where can I get some? I looked at LG site and they didn't have anything. At least that I could find!

Thanks for the reply.

HAL adjustable 12 way adjustable.
1200 or something bucks. But, it may be what you need. on any car, as redgar mentioned...you can remove the front sway bar to increase front end lift. Drag racers have been doing this for some time now. Personally, "I" can't do it, cause I drive with a certain degree of lunicy... so I need my suspension to work.

Get the HAL's..... I think it's what your looking for.
Sorry, I don't have ANY links.....but, shouldn't be hard to find from one of our trusty vendors.

Peace out.

J
Old 05-11-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by REDGAR
We call it the "Corvette Tax"

...and what a bitch it is.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:48 AM
Staging Lane

Besides the Hal/QA1 there is also CA Chassis works. They are actually less expensive for the single adjustable and a little more expensive for the dual adjustable shocks. These are also bolt in replacements according to their website. If I ever get around to the shocks I am going to give these a try.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

.2cents.

It is the FE1 Soft Ride Suspension, if you are looking for one you can trade a Z06 spring for mine, you know you want to .
Old 06-15-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
It is the FE1 Soft Ride Suspension, if you are looking for one you can trade a Z06 spring for mine, you know you want to .

..lol...i've got penske shocks, with hyperco springs...aka, coil-over suspension. No more leaf spring.

I'm good suspension wise. All I need now is a bumpsteer kit, and sway bars. I think I am getting a Z06 fron sway bar from my cousin....since he's oing T1....which is what i'll do when I have the extra coin(sometime never).

I'll keep a look out for you though.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't even worry about modifying the Vette for dragracing. Just pop some ET Streets or BFGs on it and hold on
Old 06-15-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

..lol...i've got penske shocks, with hyperco springs...aka, coil-over suspension. No more leaf spring.

I'm good suspension wise. All I need now is a bumpsteer kit, and sway bars. I think I am getting a Z06 fron sway bar from my cousin....since he's oing T1....which is what i'll do when I have the extra coin(sometime never).

I'll keep a look out for you though.

You swapped to coil-overs BEFORE getting sway-bars?!? Damn dude you can get addco's for ~$300, they are close to the Z06 bars.

How much was the coil-over swap?
How hard was the install, could a tech-retard get it done?
Has it done enough to justify the swap over regular sport shocks?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kraest
I wouldn't even worry about modifying the Vette for dragracing. Just pop some ET Streets or BFGs on it and hold on
That is the way I did it!! Only recently added some more gear and a DTE brace.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

You swapped to coil-overs BEFORE getting sway-bars?!? Damn dude you can get addco's for ~$300, they are close to the Z06 bars.

How much was the coil-over swap?
How hard was the install, could a tech-retard get it done?
Has it done enough to justify the swap over regular sport shocks?

Hell yeah I did. The coil overs are dope. I know about the addco's but, if I can get the Z06 bar for nothing..i'll take that FOR NOW. Why not right?.... If I was a big money baller, things would be different but, since I'm a baller on a budget....i'll put the funds into the powerplant.

The coilovers from DRM are about 1895.00 You can find them for much more....I haven't seen them for less. I actually picked them up off my friends broken vette. They're about 4-5 months old.

Can a retard do it? Hell yeah, i'm retarded! hahha.

The hardest part, is removeing the factory leaf spring. We have a tool here to do it,....but, all you need to do it, without the tool, is simply support the A-arms,....and then loosen the a arm hardware,(if you do it on the ground you can use a floor jack to support and slowly lower the arm and the leaf spring. Also, unbolt the swaybars outta the way, just let them hang.

I didn't remove or loosen my A arms...

I've seen people actually take a sawzaw or grinder, and cut off the factory leaf spring in the front.

The back, is simple....I think 13mm's up top, and 24mm's on the bottom.

Installing the coil overs is easy...just slide them in.

For me....the coilovers are the best thing in the world. I'm sure some people would be happy with a shock change but.....not me. The coilovers make my car, like a friggin racecar. You might not like it.

....high speed manuvers, are not a issue...

they DO however, since they're soo tight, bounce if the road is not flat. You do feel, every single bump. Motortrend wouldn't like it.

J
Old 06-16-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, nice write up!

When checking your sig pics for pictures of you car I didn't expect the camel toe...
Old 06-16-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, nice write up!

When checking your sig pics for pictures of you car I didn't expect the camel toe...

Old 06-18-2006, 06:35 AM
TECH Regular

I hear the hal shocks help on the launch over the stock ones. However, I have been able to cut consistent 1.4x's with my 03 Zo6 with rwhp in the range of 397 -420 (with 3.90 gears and et streets). I put in 04 Zo6 shocks which are supposed to be worse for drag racing but the results show otherwise.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Very nice times rob.

Quick Reply: C5 drag racing suspension questions???