General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mobil 1 Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 Oil change

Just bought 5 qts of Mobil 1 10W 30 and got a free STP fuel filter, I want to change the oil soon can anyone tell me where the oil pan is on the undercarriage? and where my spare tire and jack are?
Old 05-13-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

....under the engine and the right rear...
Old 05-13-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a write-up for lifting your car:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ift_points.htm

and here's a write-up for an oil change:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...oil_change.htm
Old 05-13-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Old 05-13-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I can belive this....honestly....it couldnt hurt to look under the car and open up the hatch....right?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chaman
I can belive this....honestly....it couldnt hurt to look under the car and open up the hatch....right?
Hey give me a break I'm 18 and I've never done an oil change before(or seen anyone do it), I was asking alot of questions checking and double checking to make sure I dont **** up my car that I still owe 8 grand for. In this country you pay for what you dont know, and what you're too lazy to do now I know how to change my own oil and I dont have to pay someone else to do it anymore. It took me about 2hrs and I got oil everywhere, next time with the right tools(I used a skateboard, a vice, and my hand and a former dish cloth for the filter) I can do it in 20 minute or less. I think I did pretty good considering I got all my info off those very helpful links. The majority of that time was spent trying to get the filter off.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Arachnotron
Here's a write-up for lifting your car:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ift_points.htm

and here's a write-up for an oil change:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...oil_change.htm
Thanx man I could have done it without those links
Old 05-13-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 05-13-2006, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1QuickBlkZ28
next time with the right tools(I used a skateboard, a vice, and my hand and a former dish cloth for the filter) I can do it in 20 minute or less. .

The right tools always helps. filter wrenches are pretty cheap!
Old 05-14-2006, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2manytoys

The right tools always helps. filter wrenches are pretty cheap!
Yeah but the budget was pretty tight and I didnt exactly know what tools I would need this being my first time, but you live and you learn know I know I need a filter wrench a creeper and a vice until I can switch out that stripped nut...oh yea and the oil shoots out of that hole and to place the oil pan accordingly.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

You'll also need to buy one more quart of oil, as the rated capacity is 5.5 quarts (but putting in 6 is preferred, and 5 is definitely too little)
Old 05-14-2006, 08:06 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I know the feeling, I changed my oil for the first time a few months back. Heres a trick for the filter. Take a big *** screwdriver and STAB, now take it out and let the oil drain. then stab again and twist it off with that.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1QuickBlkZ28
Hey give me a break I'm 18 and I've never done an oil change before(or seen anyone do it), I was asking alot of questions checking and double checking to make sure I dont **** up my car that I still owe 8 grand for. In this country you pay for what you dont know, and what you're too lazy to do now I know how to change my own oil and I dont have to pay someone else to do it anymore. It took me about 2hrs and I got oil everywhere, next time with the right tools(I used a skateboard, a vice, and my hand and a former dish cloth for the filter) I can do it in 20 minute or less. I think I did pretty good considering I got all my info off those very helpful links. The majority of that time was spent trying to get the filter off.
A for effort......If your car didn't come with an owners manual you can download it here https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gm/home just register it's free and download the correct one for your car. I see from your sig you plan to use Seafoam.....wait 'till you need to change your oil again as you shouls change oil and even plugs after using it.
Enjoy your car.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:21 PM
In Need of Cup Holders!

Originally Posted by ls1_bc
A for effort......If your car didn't come with an owners manual you can download it here https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gm/home just register it's free and download the correct one for your car. I see from your sig you plan to use Seafoam.....wait 'till you need to change your oil again as you shouls change oil and even plugs after using it.
Enjoy your car.
I love it when people have basic maitenance as 'mods' in their sig.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oil pan bolt is like 15mm or so. I wouldn't suggest using a vise to take that off, the last thing you want is a stripped oil pan bolt. If it already is stripped, I'd suggest replacing it on your next change

Fuel filter is going to be on the driver's side, right in front of the rear tire. You'll need two wrenches to take it off, for the sizes, but make sure to release preasure of the gas before you take the current filter off. I think there's a good write up on it at installuniversity.com as well

Make sure you lift the car on the correct spots every time, you don't want floor damage

Spare tire and jack are in the hatch area, passenger side. You'll need a coin or similar to "unscrew" the plastic screws that hold the pannel on

Don't really "need" a creeper either - I've been under my car a LOT and I've never used one, and I'm not a toothpick of a person by any means. The entire tranny swap on my car was done with two jack stands and a carpet to lay down on, no creeper etc

Give the guy a break, not all of us were born with a wrench in hand! At least he's smart enough to ask questions, rather than screwing something up
Old 05-15-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Strahley
Oil pan bolt is like 15mm or so. I wouldn't suggest using a vise to take that off, the last thing you want is a stripped oil pan bolt. If it already is stripped, I'd suggest replacing it on your next change

Fuel filter is going to be on the driver's side, right in front of the rear tire. You'll need two wrenches to take it off, for the sizes, but make sure to release preasure of the gas before you take the current filter off. I think there's a good write up on it at installuniversity.com as well

Make sure you lift the car on the correct spots every time, you don't want floor damage

Spare tire and jack are in the hatch area, passenger side. You'll need a coin or similar to "unscrew" the plastic screws that hold the pannel on

Don't really "need" a creeper either - I've been under my car a LOT and I've never used one, and I'm not a toothpick of a person by any means. The entire tranny swap on my car was done with two jack stands and a carpet to lay down on, no creeper etc

Give the guy a break, not all of us were born with a wrench in hand! At least he's smart enough to ask questions, rather than screwing something up
I agree... We all start learning somewhere.... just most of us didn't have internet when we were at his stage
Old 05-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Patman
You'll also need to buy one more quart of oil, as the rated capacity is 5.5 quarts (but putting in 6 is preferred, and 5 is definitely too little)
Ya 6 will put it at the full mark and i always keep an extra guart in my car for when it uses oil some ls1 use oil and some dont. my wifes 99 T/a DONT USE OIL and mine does and my friend camaro uses oil wonder why
Old 05-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Banned

yeah u might wanna put a lil more than 5 quarts in there as well next time buy 6