Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

+boost but no power increase??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default +boost but no power increase??

5.3L in Nova GT-45 Turbo, I downloaded a bin file from horrists site to start. I can hit 10 psi of boost at 4000rpms but it actually dogs the car down rather than making it go faster, and the car feels like its under a heavy load. My boost gauge is in the back of the manifold so I know it actually got boost. (victor Jr)
And when I let off I hear the wastegate (Tial 44mm) go psst psst psst.
I tested this twice before blowing a hose off.

I know it is set up a little rich for starting to tune it.
Is there anything stupid I may have overlooked why this is happening?
thanks.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have a 2 or 3 bar map sensor?? If it's still the stock 1 bar it won't see positive manifold pressure and only read vacuum...Just seeing..What type of engine management system do you use??
Old 05-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being overly rich can cause the engine to bog. Also, you mentioned that you blew a hose, make sure there are no other boost leaks because they will make it run even richer.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:02 PM
FormerVendor

Do you get misfires when logging? What plugs are you running?

Also, how rich are we talking? Is it off the wideband fat?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
do you have a 2 or 3 bar map sensor?? If it's still the stock 1 bar it won't see positive manifold pressure and only read vacuum...Just seeing..What type of engine management system do you use??

Everthing is stock., Stock 99 f-body pcm, MAP sensor. If that was the case woudnt it run lean? Its not really bogging out. Its just doing nothing. There are no boost leaks. All boost is there.
Can you get a MAP sensor at like AutoZone? Do you need the enhanced version of HP Tuners then?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

u can get a 2 bar map from any gm turbo car at the yard a 3 bar u can get from a syclone or g/n iirc theres a specific set of #'s to distiguish the diff maps

you can buy them no prob tho.

so what are you doing for fuel exactly? since u have stock eprom and everything or maybe i am confused?

what size injectors? need more info

check all your lines and connectors again. i've missed one onetime and then finally found it after a second time of looking
Old 05-13-2006, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

have you phyically checked the system for boost leaks? just because your showing 10psi of boost doesnt mean you dont have a massive boost leak which would cause you to run extremely rich
Old 05-13-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

It is a 5.3L shortblock, ported 6.0L heads, compression ratio 8.6:1, Edelbrock victor jr intake & rails, custom aluminum elbow, 42# injectors, Areomotive pump & boost ref regulator, Custom intercooler to support 900hp, Factory 99 F-body PCM , Im using HP Tuners standard and inovative wideband.

My boost gauge is reading off the back of the intake, so if it is reading boost there, there should be some effect on the way it runs. Even as im slowly building boost it doesnt give it any more power. If it had a leak it wouldnt continue to build boost all the way inside it the intake.

I used smokinhawks tune to start.

If you put in a 2 bar MAP do you have to do anything else? just plug it in and go?
I'll just go buy one for like a ... turbo sunbird or something? Are the connectors the same? same amnount of wires ?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can use the map sensor off of a cobalt ss....They will work...You can get them from the GM dealership...
Old 05-14-2006, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

don't spend all ur money going to the dealership, like i said goto the yard, a turbo sunbird will work perfect. a map looks the same its only the insides that are diff

if you plug it in and go your computer is still setup for a 1 bar map it won't be able to read for a 2 bar

but i don't know a whole lot about hp tuners and what it can do
Old 05-14-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

ok thanks, i think i got a handle on it all now.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a Holley one from Summit. They're like $40 and they come with the right connector. You'll have to change your connector end to match - you need a little Weatherpak or Metripack tool to push the pins out.

Instead of reading boost at the hat, try reading it off the manifold somewhere. Most people get a boost drop after the throttle, so it's more accurate that way.

I just watch the MAP sensor reading - on a 2-Bar sensor anything above 100kPa or ambient air pressure is boost.

Jim

Quick Reply: +boost but no power increase??