Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best sounding/performing exhaust with STOCK y-pipe and headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best sounding/performing exhaust with STOCK y-pipe and manifolds

I want your guys opinions on which exhaust sounds the best with stock Y-pipe and headers. I am under warranty so I don't want to change anything but the cat-back and was looking for some feedback from people who have had setups that they really liked. I hear the Hooker is rather quiet and with stock headers/Y the LM might not be too bad? Let me know what you guys think, I have listened to clips at ls1sounds.com and a clip can only tell you so much, I wanna hear from those of you that have first hand experience with the cat-backs and get a general consensus. Thanks

-Mike

Last edited by MjMaro; 05-20-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MjMaro
I want your guys opinions on which exhaust sounds the best with stock Y-pipe and headers. -Mike
I take it you mean the stock manifolds and y-pipe but anyhow, my first mod was the MagnaFlow catback in my sig and I was pleased with the sound. You will find that anything is better than stock, flowmaster sounds good but doesnt flow well so I would stay away from them. Just my .02
Old 05-18-2006, 11:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GMMG

Still have it on my stock manifolds and cats, and it sounds AWESOME. Can't wait to get my headers on.

Sound clips don't capture the true sound IMO. My advice is maybe peek around in the regional forum as well and see if you can find some other local boys with various setups and compare that way also. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

magnaflow mmmhmmm
Old 05-19-2006, 02:37 AM
TECH Resident

I got magnaflow and don't regret it one bit
Old 05-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Staging Lane

My car sounded awesome with the SLP loudmouth, but once I did the heads and cam it was too loud and I had to buy a magnaflow. I
Old 05-19-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote for the SLP LM. Sounds good with headers too until you remove the cats. Once the cats are gone, you can make it a "BorlaMouth" with a Borla XR1 and it still sounds great. The only downside is some droning at highway RPMs...
Old 05-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Resident

IMO loudmouth sounds like straightpipe ****. there's no tone. it's just..well, loud. now the loudmouth 2 (aka dual/dual) is what i have, stock manifolds. it's quiet but it sounds badass. there is a common misconception about the dual/dual and that is that it's quiet. it sounds truck-ish at idle and totally silent under 2 grand and just crusing, but when you bring it over 3k, wow, it gets loud. people say this system is quiet, but THAT'S ONLY UNDER CRUISE AND LIGHT THROTTLE! at WOT it's just as loud as all the rest (with the exception of systems like loudmouth, GMMG and true duals). only difference is it sounds kind of like a mustang. it's very exotic and uncharacteristic of an f-body (which IMO is good because i never cared for the sound of an LS1 and this sounds different, almost 5.0-ish). if you want it louder, go GMMG. both systems flow very well and are stainless steel and sound great.

IMO stay away from LM as it sounds like straightpipe **** with no tone, and IMO magnaflow is kinda a waste as it is quiet like the dual/dual but doesn't look as good and is more raspy. you're better off getting a dual/dual than a magnaflow. the dual/dual sounds better anyway IMO.

again, just my opinion.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
IMO loudmouth sounds like straightpipe ****. there's no tone. it's just..well, loud. now the loudmouth 2 (aka dual/dual) is what i have, stock manifolds. it's quiet but it sounds badass. it sounds truck-ish at idle and totally silent under 2 grand and just crusing, but when you bring it over 3k it sounds kind of like a mustang. it's very exotic and uncharacteristic of an f-body (which IMO is good because i never cared for the sound of an LS1 and this sounds different, almost 5.0-ish). if you want it louder, go GMMG. both systems flow very well and are stainless steel and sound great.

IMO stay away from LM as it sounds like straightpipe **** with no tone, and IMO magnaflow is kinda a waste as it is quiet like the dual/dual but doesn't look as good and is more raspy. you're better off getting a dual/dual than a magnaflow. the dual/dual sounds better anyway IMO.

again, just my opinion.
Or maybe your just biased to SLP a little.

My magnaflow looks great and no rasp. Some people like the simplicity.

I don't like the Dual Dual because you can see the welds for the tips. I don't like that.

Opinion vs. Opinion me thinks.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

I love my Dynomouth mated to the CME on my car. No droning, nice rumble at idle. It sounds similiar to my cousins old cobra under part throttle and absolutely screams under full throttle. Every person who has heard it has complimented me on it. My uncle is a diehard Ford guy and said my car sounds awesome. Without cats though is a different story as it is with every exhaust on an LS1. LS1's are gay for cats.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go for the Loudmouth...you will not regret it!!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

With stock manifolds/cats I prefer the Loudmouth or the Borla adjustible. I've heard GMMG and Magniflow on stock setups and they're just too quiet. If you're gonna spend $400-$800 on exhaust it should turn some heads. Loudmouth definately kicks *** and Borla too but Borla is more exspensive. With Borla tho if you get Long tube headers later down the road tho at least you can quiet it down by switching plates.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

cutout, best 80 bucks installed ever
Old 05-19-2006, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
I've heard GMMG and Magniflow on stock setups and they're just too quiet.

Was the car that had the GMMG on the stock setup started and running? It may have been something odd going on, but my GMMG and almost everyone who posts here that has one knows how loud and deep it is. I can't say nothing bad about Magnaflow or Borla, because I haven't heard them in person. But I do know for a fact GMMG is one of the best sounding that I have heard in person.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnaflow, the slp lm sounds good on stock exhaust manifolds and y-pipe, but cam/headers/ory is just too much.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 89KARR
Was the car that had the GMMG on the stock setup started and running?
Yes it was running.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

cutout
Old 05-19-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

GMMG. It isn't too loud idling (infact, I thought it was quieter than the stock exhaust), but once you apply any sort of throttle it really wakes up. I manage to turn heads wherever I go. It is deep, quality sound; I don't notice any sort of rasp at any RPM.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gillbot
cutout
yea i mean im only the third guy who thinks so to, but i just got a flowtech one and will be putting it on next week, ive heard stock ls1s on ls1sound with cutouts and they sound nice....good perfomance increase to....and cheaper
Old 05-20-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well like I said, the car is still under warranty and whatever exhaust I get I will have on the car for AT LEAST two years so I'm not gonna worry about headers/ory until after 2 years. Trying to avoid a cut-out because I'm not sure what the dealer would say if I rolled in for service with a cutout on my exhaust so I wanna go with the cat-back only. Was previously thinking about the Hooker c/b but I think it's too quiet for my taste, does it get as good a flow as LM even though it's quieter? I'm leaning toward LM, but is 1 or 2 the better flowing of the systems? Also, how much is GMMG exhaust and where would I be able to find it? Thanks everyone for their help so far.